Pigeon Angels
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pigeon Angels

RegisterSearchLatest imagesHomeLog in
At this time Pigeon Angels forum is in an archive status. For assistance please log into Pigeon Angels Facebook by clicking the following link. Thank You https://www.facebook.com/groups/176239232007/?hc_location=stream

Poopy pigeon has me baffled (not gaining weight)

Go down 
+6
AZJourney
Teresa
plamenh
Matilda
AZWhitefeather
Jaye
10 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
AuthorMessage
pigeonwriter
Special Pigeon Angel
pigeonwriter

Poopy pigeon has me baffled (not gaining weight) - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Poopy pigeon has me baffled (not gaining weight)   Poopy pigeon has me baffled (not gaining weight) - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 07, 2010 11:15 am

Jaye - as Charis said already - it may be stress related - at least partially. If you have a nervous bird from character, weight will always be an issue. Our Willy f.e., one of our PMV birds had lost an awful lot of weight when I finally could hospitalize him and was near to death. He gained weight only very slowly and then only 5 gr-wise or less. Each time when he started to vomit he lost again what he had gained and I had to re-start again to feed him up. I did it with baby cereal with fruit to create a slightly acidic environment. Sometimes I added chamomille tea, sometimes cinnamon tea. Each time it worked perfectly. I started with 5-6 meals (every 2 hours or so) with 10 ml and then went to 3 times 20 ml. I did this for 4-5 days and then started to replace the lunch with de-frosted peas, 20 pcs. first and slowly increasing the quantity.

Willy has totally recovered but will never be the same weight as f.e. our Jimi. We let Willy run outside for the first time yesterday and he was so excited that he got diarrhea. But I knew it was only his "nerves" just like with a human. Today he was absolutely normal again.

So I think all those medications put additional stress on your bird's immune system so that weight will be an issue for some time. I think giving him something to eat which is easily digested would help perhaps. And don't worry if the poops are getting lose - this will firm up with different food again.

All the best for your little patient Circle of Love
Back to top Go down
http://www.vyala-arts.com
pigeonwriter
Special Pigeon Angel
pigeonwriter

PostSubject: Re: Poopy pigeon has me baffled (not gaining weight)   Poopy pigeon has me baffled (not gaining weight) - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 07, 2010 11:18 am

Jaye - I forgot - why don't you try Ebay for a scale? I bought a nice digital one for ~15 bucks. I am always looking in ebay first when I need this kind of stuff.
Back to top Go down
http://www.vyala-arts.com
Jaye
Special Pigeon Angel

PostSubject: Re: Poopy pigeon has me baffled (not gaining weight)   Poopy pigeon has me baffled (not gaining weight) - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 14, 2010 12:17 am

Thanks for the tips...I will definitely keep 'em in mind. Just to update here, he and his one-footed girlfriend are now living in beautiful Sonoma County in a brand-new loft with other pigeons. He never really did gain back much weight, but he seemed stable and again, as ALL tests showed negative...h seemed like he had a chance at a decent life in a loft-type situation.
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Poopy pigeon has me baffled (not gaining weight)   Poopy pigeon has me baffled (not gaining weight) - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 14, 2010 7:17 am

Thanks for the update and all your help, Jaye. Great job

Sonoma County is beautiful. I'm so glad to hear the two pijjies have found a wonderful home.
Back to top Go down
http://www.pigeonangels.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Poopy pigeon has me baffled (not gaining weight)   Poopy pigeon has me baffled (not gaining weight) - Page 4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Poopy pigeon has me baffled (not gaining weight)
Page 4 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4