Pigeon Angels
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pigeon Angels

RegisterSearchLatest imagesHomeLog in
At this time Pigeon Angels forum is in an archive status. For assistance please log into Pigeon Angels Facebook by clicking the following link. Thank You https://www.facebook.com/groups/176239232007/?hc_location=stream

Curing an infestation of Pigeons Flies

Go down 
+2
AZWhitefeather
jimc2000
6 posters
AuthorMessage
jimc2000
Special Pigeon Angel

Curing an infestation of Pigeons Flies Empty
PostSubject: Curing an infestation of Pigeons Flies   Curing an infestation of Pigeons Flies Icon_minitimeSun Jan 10, 2010 2:20 am

Over the past year or so, I've rescued 5 squeakers, treated them for various illnesses, helped them mature and then released them. They all hang around and three of them come back every night to roost. Two of those three now have a newborn baby in a nest they built in an out-of-the way cranny (I'll get around to posting baby pictures in another thread).

The question I have for this thread concerns parasites and how to keep them off the baby. All five of my released ferals (including the new parents) regularly mingle with the local feral flock, where they pick up pigeon flies and sometimes mites. Every now and then I catch two of three of "my" five pigeons and spray them (one at a time) with Scalex, but the pigeon flies are usually back within a day or two, presumably picked up from members of the feral flock, which has about 75 to 100 birds.

The only solution I can think of is to treat the whole flock. The best strategy I've come up with so far is to buy a couple of kiddie pools, add something to the water to kill the pigeon flies, and just keep letting everyone take baths every day until all the flies are dead.

So now I have three questions. First, what is the best thing to add to the bath water to kill pigeon flies, second does this plan have any hope of working, and third, does anyone have any other ideas for the best way to treat a flock this size for pigeon flies and mites?
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Curing an infestation of Pigeons Flies   Curing an infestation of Pigeons Flies Icon_minitimeSun Jan 10, 2010 7:37 am

Hi Jim, Curing an infestation of Pigeons Flies 333746
As far as suggesting a good way to treat the flock for bugs . . . You kiddie pool idea sounds like a good one to me. Exactly what you would put in the water, that I don't know. I have read where some folks add Borax (twenty mule team Borax) to their bird's bath water. I honestly don't know if it helps to keep the bugs away though.

I will be interested, as well, to read other member's suggestions. Curing an infestation of Pigeons Flies Readin12

"Two of those three now have a newborn baby in a nest they built in an out-of-the way cranny (I'll get around to posting baby pictures in another thread)."
That would be super! We love pictures. Curing an infestation of Pigeons Flies 570843
Back to top Go down
http://www.pigeonangels.com
plamenh
Special Pigeon Angel
plamenh

PostSubject: Re: Curing an infestation of Pigeons Flies   Curing an infestation of Pigeons Flies Icon_minitimeSun Jan 10, 2010 9:58 am

Only safe way I know to control ectoparasites through bath water are bath salts for pigeons, at least this is what I would use. Anything else may poison your birds if they drink or irritate eyes.

http://www.nepigeonsupplies.com/catalog.php?category=Insecticides%20and%20Poison

I use apple cider vinegar 1 teaspoon to gallon of water and 2~3 drops Lysterine mouthwash. Works well. Smile
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Curing an infestation of Pigeons Flies   Curing an infestation of Pigeons Flies Icon_minitimeSun Jan 10, 2010 11:11 am

Curing an infestation of Pigeons Flies 686336 for the suggestions, Plamenh. Curing an infestation of Pigeons Flies 142829
Back to top Go down
http://www.pigeonangels.com
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: Curing an infestation of Pigeons Flies   Curing an infestation of Pigeons Flies Icon_minitimeSun Jan 10, 2010 11:19 am

The Pigeons are lucky that we don't have Pigeon Fly in my area. I had never heard of them until seveal years ago when I was told about them form an individual living in the Bay area. That rescuer always sprayed every rescue with Scalex before bringing the bird inside.
As for the flock, I hope the bath works. You know they will enjoy appreciate it because Pigeons love to be clean.
Back to top Go down
NiteOwl
Special Pigeon Angel
NiteOwl

PostSubject: Re: Curing an infestation of Pigeons Flies   Curing an infestation of Pigeons Flies Icon_minitimeSun Jan 24, 2010 4:36 pm

Some people put a little borax in the water as well. It works pretty well, as bugs don't like it. In taxidermy, they sprinkle it on and rub it into the fur as it keeps the bugs out. I have used it in the bath as have a lot of others, and it doesn't bother them.
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Curing an infestation of Pigeons Flies   Curing an infestation of Pigeons Flies Icon_minitimeSat Jan 30, 2010 10:06 pm

Great suggestions! I think I'll try them too, because in summer there are loads of them, and when ferals get in they pass them on to the indoor pigeons. YUK

Plamen, which one(s) do you use? On the link I saw 3 kinds, 'elite', 'natural' and 'Dr. Pigeon'.
Back to top Go down
plamenh
Special Pigeon Angel
plamenh

PostSubject: Re: Curing an infestation of Pigeons Flies   Curing an infestation of Pigeons Flies Icon_minitimeSun Jan 31, 2010 12:31 am

Anyone will do. From time to time I just put sea salt and ACV in their water and it works.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Curing an infestation of Pigeons Flies   Curing an infestation of Pigeons Flies Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Curing an infestation of Pigeons Flies
Page 1 of 1