Pigeon Angels
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pigeon Angels

RegisterSearchLatest imagesHomeLog in
At this time Pigeon Angels forum is in an archive status. For assistance please log into Pigeon Angels Facebook by clicking the following link. Thank You https://www.facebook.com/groups/176239232007/?hc_location=stream

Parasitic Encephalitis in Pigeons

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

Parasitic Encephalitis in Pigeons Empty
PostSubject: Parasitic Encephalitis in Pigeons   Parasitic Encephalitis in Pigeons Icon_minitimeFri Jan 22, 2010 10:18 pm

http://www.jstor.org/pss/1589494

A must read abou tparasitic larva that migrated to the brain of Pigeons, which in trun created neurological symptom of walking in circles.
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Parasitic Encephalitis in Pigeons   Parasitic Encephalitis in Pigeons Icon_minitimeFri Jan 22, 2010 11:30 pm

Holy Sheep!! A must read indeed.

Thanks Chars. Parasitic Encephalitis in Pigeons 142829
Back to top Go down
http://www.pigeonangels.com
plamenh
Special Pigeon Angel
plamenh

PostSubject: Re: Parasitic Encephalitis in Pigeons   Parasitic Encephalitis in Pigeons Icon_minitimeSat Jan 23, 2010 4:34 am

It is creepy thing these parasites, but not only pigeons have them.
Brain worm and brain amoebas are common parasites in deer, moose and even free grazing domestic animals in wetland areas. These parasites are dangerous for humans too. Infection leads to the symptoms of craziness and walking in circles when vestibular system is affected. Unfortunately there is no cure and outcome is lethal.
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Parasitic Encephalitis in Pigeons   Parasitic Encephalitis in Pigeons Icon_minitimeSat Jan 23, 2010 8:46 am

I think it's so incredible the more research and investigation being done we are discovering just how many illnesses do have similar symptoms to PMV. Parasitic Encephalitis in Pigeons 279675 This is so important for all of us to know.

All the more reason one can't assume a pigeon displaying an upside down head or walking in circles automatically has PMV.
There are just too many variables. Serious EEK!!

If at all possible, testing for PMV is a great tool when symptoms are questionable.
Back to top Go down
pigeonwriter
Special Pigeon Angel
pigeonwriter

PostSubject: Re: Parasitic Encephalitis in Pigeons   Parasitic Encephalitis in Pigeons Icon_minitimeSat Jan 23, 2010 10:14 am

Thank you Charis for this link!Parasitic Encephalitis in Pigeons 142829 It is good to know about this - on the other hand it is creepy and very demotivating to think about all the probabilities that could occur.

The problem with these deseases is that no vet would be able to diagnose this or mostly even refuse to test. I was told that PMV tests are complicated and extensive. This means that they are extremely costly. I have already spent more money on my sick birds as I can really afford without even getting any "fancy" tests possible.

My point is that many people who care for their pets and other animals simply cannot follow any recommendation because there is no relation any more between going broke, risking a split between 2 partners because of conflicting opinions and the potential (not guaranteed) recovery of a bird - as hard and inhuman this may sound.

We simply cannot cover anything and everything. But it is wise to increase knowledge. Yet it is also essential to use common sense and not get into panic about what could be.
Back to top Go down
http://www.vyala-arts.com
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Parasitic Encephalitis in Pigeons   Parasitic Encephalitis in Pigeons Icon_minitimeSat Jan 23, 2010 10:46 pm

pigeonwriter wrote:
Thank you Charis for this link!Parasitic Encephalitis in Pigeons 142829 It is good to know about this - on the other hand it is creepy and very demotivating to think about all the probabilities that could occur.

The problem with these deseases is that no vet would be able to diagnose this or mostly even refuse to test. I was told that PMV tests are complicated and extensive. This means that they are extremely costly. I have already spent more money on my sick birds as I can really afford without even getting any "fancy" tests possible.

My point is that many people who care for their pets and other animals simply cannot follow any recommendation because there is no relation any more between going broke, risking a split between 2 partners because of conflicting opinions and the potential (not guaranteed) recovery of a bird - as hard and inhuman this may sound.

We simply cannot cover anything and everything. But it is wise to increase knowledge.

Yet it is also essential to use common sense and not get into panic about what could be.

You got that right! Parasitic Encephalitis in Pigeons 142829
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: This is what the body of the article says...   Parasitic Encephalitis in Pigeons Icon_minitimeSat Mar 06, 2010 5:41 pm

Here is an excerpt...
A diagnostic case with a history of central nervous system signs in Tumbler pigeons was submitted to our laboratory on Sept. 6. 1974. The loft contained 60 pigeons, 15 of them introduced two months previously. Five to six weeks after the new birds were introduced, several birds of the orginal group were observed to walk in circles and evidenced loss of control of flight and equilibrium. Ten deaths were reported in this group. No clinical signs or deaths had been observed in the 15 new birds.

At necropsy of the first bird presented for examination, a few intestional parasites [Capilliaria and Davinea] were found.
An image is below of a cross-section of parasite in the brain.
Back to top Go down
plamenh
Special Pigeon Angel
plamenh

PostSubject: Re: Parasitic Encephalitis in Pigeons   Parasitic Encephalitis in Pigeons Icon_minitimeMon Mar 08, 2010 1:08 pm

I believe that Ivermectin treatment of birds may be helpful in the cases of Parasitic Encephalitis. They use it on sheep and catle:

http://old.cvm.msu.edu/extension/Rook/ROOKpdf/bwflukesfinal.PDF

and I use it on every new bird as initial treatment against worms, lice etc.
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Parasitic Encephalitis in Pigeons   Parasitic Encephalitis in Pigeons Icon_minitimeMon Mar 08, 2010 8:47 pm

After the shock findings of parasites in internal organs in Velvet's necropsy I have asked myself whether Sammy's very long-lasting PMV-type symptoms might not be partly related to parasites too.
After so much time (5 months), I guess if he had parasitic encephalitis I would have lost him by now, but the truth is that his recovery has sped up considerably since I treated him with Ivermectin. I have NO idea His seizures are shorter and he can now fly a little, but in circles.
Mind you, having Pippin to spend time with has helped him a lot too.
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: Parasitic Encephalitis in Pigeons   Parasitic Encephalitis in Pigeons Icon_minitimeMon Mar 08, 2010 9:01 pm

Teresa wrote:
After the shock findings of parasites in internal organs in Velvet's necropsy I have asked myself whether Sammy's very long-lasting PMV-type symptoms might not be partly related to parasites too.
After so much time (5 months), I guess if he had parasitic encephalitis I would have lost him by now, but the truth is that his recovery has sped up considerably since I treated him with Ivermectin. I have NO idea His seizures are shorter and he can now fly a little, but in circles.
Mind you, having Pippin to spend time with has helped him a lot too.

I think parasites are much more of a problem than recognized. Does Sammy have parasites still...I can't say. Can I say he has PMV? I can't say that either. I can tell you with certainty, that ivermectin doesn't kill all the parasites and it has been necessary for me to worm birds several times to see a lasting improvement. I can also tell you with certainty, that I want Sammy to be well. Sammy deserves that.

I think that far too often, the tendency has been to contribute neurological symptoms to PMV because that's what we have been taught. What is true is that the symptoms we have come to associate with PMV, including the wormy looking poop can be caused by other things. Always, the only way to know for sure it to test because none of us can tell with just looking.
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Parasitic Encephalitis in Pigeons   Parasitic Encephalitis in Pigeons Icon_minitimeMon Mar 08, 2010 10:38 pm

It's pretty incredible to learn about the many different illnesses that display neurological symptoms. Serious EEK!!
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Parasitic Encephalitis in Pigeons   Parasitic Encephalitis in Pigeons Icon_minitimeFri Mar 12, 2010 11:17 pm

Fancyfeathers wrote:
It's pretty incredible to learn about the many different illnesses that display neurological symptoms. Serious EEK!!

It is indeed, but disheartening too! Just when we thought we'd got the basics necessary to differentiate between viral infections, bacterial infections and parasites, the cards get reshuffled by new information arriving.
For those who, like me, can't get fecal tests done, the added uncertainty is depressing and offputting. I'll just have to ask Santa for a microscope. Having a bad day
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Parasitic Encephalitis in Pigeons   Parasitic Encephalitis in Pigeons Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Parasitic Encephalitis in Pigeons
Page 1 of 1