Pigeon Angels
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pigeon Angels

RegisterSearchLatest imagesHomeLog in
At this time Pigeon Angels forum is in an archive status. For assistance please log into Pigeon Angels Facebook by clicking the following link. Thank You https://www.facebook.com/groups/176239232007/?hc_location=stream

Baby Ferals

Go down 
+6
NiteOwl
EgypSwiftLady
ThePigeonKid
Matilda
AZWhitefeather
jimc2000
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
jimc2000
Special Pigeon Angel

Baby Ferals Empty
PostSubject: Baby Ferals   Baby Ferals Icon_minitimeTue Feb 16, 2010 3:26 am

For those who have been following the saga of Tehya here:

https://pij-n-angels.forumotion.net/feral-pigeons-and-doves-f3/question-about-baby-feral-t1223.htm

her siblings were born on February 9th (or 10th) and on the 12th. I'll edit this post a bit later with details, but to make a long story short, I've ended up raising them. I've posted some photos below, all taken a few seconds apart after their latest feeding. They're still squirming around begging for food in most of these.

Now for the questions:

1) Does it look like I'm feeding them enough, or too much?

2) Does it look like the oldest one is developing some splay-legedness? If so, what's the best course?

Baby Ferals Siblings1
Baby Ferals Siblings2
Baby Ferals Siblings3
Baby Ferals Siblings4
Baby Ferals Siblings5
Baby Ferals Siblings6
Baby Ferals Siblings7
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

Baby Ferals Empty
PostSubject: Re: Baby Ferals   Baby Ferals Icon_minitimeTue Feb 16, 2010 7:22 am

jimc2000 wrote:
For those who have been following the saga of Tehya here:

https://pij-n-angels.forumotion.net/feral-pigeons-and-doves-f3/question-about-baby-feral-t1223.htm

her siblings were born on February 9th (or 10th) and on the 12th. I'll edit this post a bit later with details, but to make a long story short, I've ended up raising them. I've posted some photos below, all taken a few seconds apart after their latest feeding. They're still squirming around begging for food in most of these.

Now for the questions:

* 1) Does it look like I'm feeding them enough, or too much?

** 2) Does it look like the oldest one is developing some splay-legedness? If so, what's the best course?
Hi Jim, Hi there/Bye
Thanks for taking these little ones under your wing. Pigeon angel

* In the first photo it looks like their crops are pretty plump.

** It actually looks like they both could be heading towards a splayed leg event. IMO
They must have their legs under them, in a normal position at all times.

I would suggest placing a wash cloth, piece of an old towel, or something similar under them.
They have to have something to grip onto. The paper towel won't work for that purpose as it's to smooth.
Back to top Go down
http://www.pigeonangels.com
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

Baby Ferals Empty
PostSubject: Re: Baby Ferals   Baby Ferals Icon_minitimeTue Feb 16, 2010 7:46 am

I agree with Cindy... a donunt shaped towel made just thieir size will also help.
Back to top Go down
ThePigeonKid
Special Pigeon Angel
ThePigeonKid

Baby Ferals Empty
PostSubject: Re: Baby Ferals   Baby Ferals Icon_minitimeTue Feb 16, 2010 8:26 am

I agree with Fancyfeathers & Matilda.

Please keep us posted.

Baby Ferals 23878
Back to top Go down
EgypSwiftLady
Special Pigeon Angel
EgypSwiftLady

Baby Ferals Empty
PostSubject: Re: Baby Ferals   Baby Ferals Icon_minitimeTue Feb 16, 2010 10:07 am

Oh!!! Such sweet babies!

I also agree with Cindy & Charis but also want to add that by giving them less room in the nest to move, keeping the sides closer & snug will go a long way to help stop the splaying problem. They will have no room to spread their legs then.

We use paper towels on the bottom too because they are so absorbant but we shred them so the babies can grip and not slip.
Back to top Go down
http://www.ironwolffarmsanctuary.com
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

Baby Ferals Empty
PostSubject: Re: Baby Ferals   Baby Ferals Icon_minitimeTue Feb 16, 2010 10:10 am

EgypSwiftLady wrote:
Oh!!! Such sweet babies!

I also agree with Cindy & Charis but also want to add that by giving them less room in the nest to move, keeping the sides closer & snug will go a long way to help stop the splaying problem. They will have no room to spread their legs then.

We use paper towels on the bottom too because they are so absorbant but we shred them so the babies can grip and not slip.

Good idea. Baby Ferals 142829
Back to top Go down
jimc2000
Special Pigeon Angel

Baby Ferals Empty
PostSubject: Re: Baby Ferals   Baby Ferals Icon_minitimeThu Feb 18, 2010 2:39 pm

The younger baby pigeon passed away overnight. When I went to feed the babies last night at 11:00, he had crawled out of the wash cloth he was wrapped in, and gotten a little cold. He was still sitting on the heating pad in my make-shift incubator, and the air temperature was around 94 degrees so he wasn’t really cold, just not as warm as he should be. His crop hadn’t emptied since the last feeding, so I just figured I needed to warm him up, since that had worked before. I put him back in his normal spot and checked him again at 3:00 A.M. He was warm enough, but his crop was still full and he hadn’t pooped. I gave him a little water and put him back. I checked a few hours later and he had passed away peacefully in his sleep, at the age of six days. Charis had warned me how hard it was to raise a baby this young without a real incubator, so I guess I should have found one.

The older pigeon is doing fine. He started opening his eyes a few days a go, and they’re open normally now. He’s eight days old, eating a lot of formula and growing fast. His legs are still seeming to splay a little bit, but I followed the suggestions folks gave me, and have him sitting in a narrow cavity, wrapped in a washcloth, so that his legs are held close to his body. That seems to be helping. I’ll try making the towel donut next, since he’s almost big enough for that to be practical.
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

Baby Ferals Empty
PostSubject: Re: Baby Ferals   Baby Ferals Icon_minitimeThu Feb 18, 2010 3:00 pm

That's a real shame about the little baby. I'm very sorry. It would be great to see a picture of the surviving baby. Also...you might check and see if mom and dad have laid more eggs and if so, replace them with pretend ones. Otherwise I fear you will repeat this situation over and over.
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

Baby Ferals Empty
PostSubject: Re: Baby Ferals   Baby Ferals Icon_minitimeThu Feb 18, 2010 3:39 pm

We appreciate the upate, Jim.
I'm so sorry to hear the little one passed away.
I will be thinking positive thoughts that the remaining baby does well.

Bless you for all you do. Pigeon angel

Please keep us posted.
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

Baby Ferals Empty
PostSubject: Re: Baby Ferals   Baby Ferals Icon_minitimeThu Feb 18, 2010 3:41 pm

Matilda wrote:

It would be great to see a picture of the surviving baby.

I agree We love pictures. I love it/them
Back to top Go down
NiteOwl
Special Pigeon Angel
NiteOwl

Baby Ferals Empty
PostSubject: Re: Baby Ferals   Baby Ferals Icon_minitimeThu Feb 18, 2010 7:33 pm

That's too bad about the baby. Why was it you had to take them from the parents?
Back to top Go down
AZJourney
Special Pigeon Angel
AZJourney

Baby Ferals Empty
PostSubject: Re: Baby Ferals   Baby Ferals Icon_minitimeThu Feb 18, 2010 7:54 pm

Disappointed ahhhh.. poor sweet one. I'm so sorry! Very sad

How is the other one holding up with out it's eggmate? Disappointed

and I agree the legs look like they are on there way to being splayed.

If you could, Post a pic.. of how the baby is sitting in the nest that you have him/her in now....it would be most helpful, so that we could make suggestions.

How are you finding the time to feed this lil' guy.. poor you.. your a busy bee! Maybe you have sleepless nights too! ((( teee--heeee!! :That\\\'s so f )))) Tehya keeps me up ... only fair her sibiling does the same for you! :Yes:
Back to top Go down
jimc2000
Special Pigeon Angel

Baby Ferals Empty
PostSubject: Re: Baby Ferals   Baby Ferals Icon_minitimeThu Feb 18, 2010 8:45 pm

Thank you everyone for the kind words.

A few people have asked questions which I'll answer shortly. Meanwhile, does it look like the surviving baby has an overstretched crop? Here are some pictures:

Baby Ferals Crop1
Baby Ferals Crop2
Baby Ferals Crop3
Baby Ferals Crop4
Baby Ferals Crop5
Baby Ferals Crop6
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

Baby Ferals Empty
PostSubject: Re: Baby Ferals   Baby Ferals Icon_minitimeThu Feb 18, 2010 9:14 pm

Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

Baby Ferals Empty
PostSubject: Re: Baby Ferals   Baby Ferals Icon_minitimeThu Feb 18, 2010 9:56 pm

For future readers of this thread...this crop is way too full and because of it, the crop is stretched and the baby needs what we call a crop bra. The purpose of the crop bra is to lift the crop into normal position and allow the crop to empty. After only a day or two, with the crop bra, the crop returns to normal and the crop bra can be removed.
I use a piece of vet wrap or tape that sticks to itself and is easy to take apart and adjust. I cut a piece to fit under the crop and lift it to normal postion. I tale the tape under the wings and attach the ends together on the back of the baby.
Stretched crop is fairly common because baby Pigeons peep or squeak it is often assumed that the baby is still hungry.
Never add more food to a crop that already has food in it. Doing so can cause a bacterial infection that can be fatal.
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

Baby Ferals Empty
PostSubject: Re: Baby Ferals   Baby Ferals Icon_minitimeThu Feb 18, 2010 10:18 pm

Back to top Go down
jimc2000
Special Pigeon Angel

Baby Ferals Empty
PostSubject: Re: Baby Ferals   Baby Ferals Icon_minitimeFri Feb 19, 2010 1:50 am

Based on Charis' terrific instructions, here's my first attempt at a crop bra:

Baby Ferals Bra1
Baby Ferals Bra2
Baby Ferals Bra3
Baby Ferals Bra4
Baby Ferals Bra5
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

Baby Ferals Empty
PostSubject: Re: Baby Ferals   Baby Ferals Icon_minitimeFri Feb 19, 2010 7:03 am

Hi Jim, Hi there/Bye
Thanks for posting the pictures of your little one sporting her crop bra.
It looks like you've done a good job at your first attempt.

I've never seen one on a baby, so I'm learning right along with you. High 5

Please do keep us posted on how things are going.
Back to top Go down
EgypSwiftLady
Special Pigeon Angel
EgypSwiftLady

Baby Ferals Empty
PostSubject: Re: Baby Ferals   Baby Ferals Icon_minitimeFri Feb 19, 2010 8:48 am

Hi Jim, I'm just getting caught up on your thread and wanted to say how sorry I am that the smallest baby passed Very sad
It is so very hard to keep little ones like this going, but it's wonderful that you are willing to put in the time and emotion to these sweety's.

Thanks also for posting the photo's of your crop bra and giving us all the benefit of learning with you, because one never knows when this will be needed. :Yes:
Back to top Go down
http://www.ironwolffarmsanctuary.com
ThePigeonKid
Special Pigeon Angel
ThePigeonKid

Baby Ferals Empty
PostSubject: Re: Baby Ferals   Baby Ferals Icon_minitimeFri Feb 19, 2010 10:54 am

jimc2000 wrote:
The younger baby pigeon passed away overnight.
I am so sorry. Very sad
Back to top Go down
Tech
Special Pigeon Angel

Baby Ferals Empty
PostSubject: Re: Baby Ferals   Baby Ferals Icon_minitimeFri Feb 19, 2010 11:51 am

Very sad Very sad Very sad
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

Baby Ferals Empty
PostSubject: Re: Baby Ferals   Baby Ferals Icon_minitimeFri Feb 19, 2010 4:27 pm

How's it going this afternoon, Jim?
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

Baby Ferals Empty
PostSubject: Re: Baby Ferals   Baby Ferals Icon_minitimeFri Feb 19, 2010 10:18 pm

I'm so sorry the youngest baby didn't make it, but glad that the bigger one seems to be doing really well.
I've never had to make a crop bra, but the crop looks well supported. Way To Go Thank you for posting the pictures. The baby's legs look much better too, mostly under him now.
You're doing an awesome job! Great job Pigeon angel
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

Baby Ferals Empty
PostSubject: Re: Baby Ferals   Baby Ferals Icon_minitimeFri Feb 19, 2010 10:20 pm

Teresa wrote:
I'm so sorry the youngest baby didn't make it, but glad that the bigger one seems to be doing really well.
I've never had to make a crop bra, but the crop looks well supported. Baby Ferals 848164 Thank you for posting the pictures. The baby's legs look much better too, mostly under him now.
You're doing an awesome job! Baby Ferals 526287 Baby Ferals 803589

I agree.
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

Baby Ferals Empty
PostSubject: Re: Baby Ferals   Baby Ferals Icon_minitimeSat Feb 20, 2010 7:20 am

Teresa wrote:
I've never had to make a crop bra, but the crop looks well supported. Way To Go Thank you for posting the pictures. The baby's legs look much better too, mostly under him now.
You're doing an awesome job! Great job Pigeon angel

Hip Hip Hooray Hip Hip Hooray Hip Hip Hooray
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Baby Ferals Empty
PostSubject: Re: Baby Ferals   Baby Ferals Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Baby Ferals
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next