Pigeon Angels
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pigeon Angels

RegisterSearchLatest imagesHomeLog in
At this time Pigeon Angels forum is in an archive status. For assistance please log into Pigeon Angels Facebook by clicking the following link. Thank You https://www.facebook.com/groups/176239232007/?hc_location=stream

Why Do Pigeons Line Up On High Power Lines Over the FW?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

Why Do Pigeons Line Up On High Power Lines Over the FW? Empty
PostSubject: Why Do Pigeons Line Up On High Power Lines Over the FW?   Why Do Pigeons Line Up On High Power Lines Over the FW? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 08, 2010 6:32 pm

Pigeons aren't dumb, just birds of a feather
By Tom Angleberger

Tom Angleberger
The New River Valley-based reporter answers your questions Mondays in his column, What's on Your Mind?

Q: Why in the world do pigeons line up on high power lines over Interstate 581 and the railroad? Why would they choose such cold, blustery places? Mary Bishop, Roanoke

A: There's a temptation to say "because pigeons are dumb." I think many people would accept that answer and, actually, I'm not quite sure I want to give it up yet.

However, Virginia Tech ornithologist Jerry Via suggested another possibility.

"I have noticed this, too, but this time of the year it seems to happen more in the afternoon. I have wondered that even in this weather, if it is not warmer to be exposed to the sun on these power lines in the late afternoon when it is somewhat warmer."

And once one pigeon decides to sit somewhere, he or she may be joined by more.

"They are social birds, so it is pigeon see, pigeon do," Via explained.

This rule alone could account for the phenomenon. Imagine you have Pigeon A in a cozy, secluded nook and Pigeon B on a high wire. When pigeon C comes along, he doesn't even see Pigeon A, so he heads on over to hang with Pigeon B. This makes it even more likely that Pigeon D will see them and join them.

It's not unlike certain human behaviors, actually. Have you ever wondered if restaurants like a line that snakes out the door? People driving by see the line and assume the food must be great. In truth, the joint may simply have a very small waiting area.

ROTFL ... ROTFL ... ROTFL ... ROTFL ... ROTFL ...ETC
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Why Do Pigeons Line Up On High Power Lines Over the FW?   Why Do Pigeons Line Up On High Power Lines Over the FW? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 08, 2010 7:16 pm

:That\\\'s so f That is funny.
Back to top Go down
http://www.pigeonangels.com
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: Why Do Pigeons Line Up On High Power Lines Over the FW?   Why Do Pigeons Line Up On High Power Lines Over the FW? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 08, 2010 7:21 pm

I always thought they were counting cars! Just goes to you ya' how much I know. :Rolling eyes: Laughing
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Why Do Pigeons Line Up On High Power Lines Over the FW?   Why Do Pigeons Line Up On High Power Lines Over the FW? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 08, 2010 7:23 pm

Matilda wrote:
I always thought they were counting cars! Just goes to you ya' how much I know. :Rolling eyes: Laughing

Why Do Pigeons Line Up On High Power Lines Over the FW? 321758
Back to top Go down
Luna Wolf
Special Pigeon Angel
Luna Wolf

PostSubject: Re: Why Do Pigeons Line Up On High Power Lines Over the FW?   Why Do Pigeons Line Up On High Power Lines Over the FW? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 08, 2010 8:12 pm

Quote :
Hey, humans go bird watching, maybe birds go human watching. That's too funny
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: Why Do Pigeons Line Up On High Power Lines Over the FW?   Why Do Pigeons Line Up On High Power Lines Over the FW? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 08, 2010 8:13 pm

Luna Wolf wrote:
Quote :

Maybe. That's too funny
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Why Do Pigeons Line Up On High Power Lines Over the FW?   Why Do Pigeons Line Up On High Power Lines Over the FW? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 08, 2010 9:19 pm

Luna Wolf wrote:
Quote :

Why Do Pigeons Line Up On High Power Lines Over the FW? 321758 Why Do Pigeons Line Up On High Power Lines Over the FW? 321758 Why Do Pigeons Line Up On High Power Lines Over the FW? 321758
I like this explanation best! Happy Dance
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Why Do Pigeons Line Up On High Power Lines Over the FW?   Why Do Pigeons Line Up On High Power Lines Over the FW? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 08, 2010 10:20 pm

Teresa wrote:
Luna Wolf wrote:

Why Do Pigeons Line Up On High Power Lines Over the FW? 321758 Why Do Pigeons Line Up On High Power Lines Over the FW? 321758 Why Do Pigeons Line Up On High Power Lines Over the FW? 321758
I like this explanation best! Happy Dance

I agree
It wouldn't surprise me in the least. Why Do Pigeons Line Up On High Power Lines Over the FW? 714583
Back to top Go down
NiteOwl
Special Pigeon Angel
NiteOwl

PostSubject: Re: Why Do Pigeons Line Up On High Power Lines Over the FW?   Why Do Pigeons Line Up On High Power Lines Over the FW? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 08, 2010 10:33 pm

Matilda wrote:

Why Do Pigeons Line Up On High Power Lines Over the FW? 321758 Why Do Pigeons Line Up On High Power Lines Over the FW? 321758 Why Do Pigeons Line Up On High Power Lines Over the FW? 321758 Why Do Pigeons Line Up On High Power Lines Over the FW? 321758 Why Do Pigeons Line Up On High Power Lines Over the FW? 321758 Why Do Pigeons Line Up On High Power Lines Over the FW? 321758 Why Do Pigeons Line Up On High Power Lines Over the FW? 321758 Why Do Pigeons Line Up On High Power Lines Over the FW? 321758 Why Do Pigeons Line Up On High Power Lines Over the FW? 321758
Back to top Go down
NiteOwl
Special Pigeon Angel
NiteOwl

PostSubject: Re: Why Do Pigeons Line Up On High Power Lines Over the FW?   Why Do Pigeons Line Up On High Power Lines Over the FW? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 08, 2010 10:35 pm

Luna Wolf wrote:
Quote :

ANOTHER GOOD ONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ROTFL ROTFL ROTFL ROTFL ROTFL
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Why Do Pigeons Line Up On High Power Lines Over the FW?   Why Do Pigeons Line Up On High Power Lines Over the FW? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Why Do Pigeons Line Up On High Power Lines Over the FW?
Page 1 of 1