Pigeon Angels
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pigeon Angels

RegisterSearchLatest imagesHomeLog in
At this time Pigeon Angels forum is in an archive status. For assistance please log into Pigeon Angels Facebook by clicking the following link. Thank You https://www.facebook.com/groups/176239232007/?hc_location=stream

Potential Problem for New Babies

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
jimc2000
Special Pigeon Angel

Potential Problem for New Babies Empty
PostSubject: Potential Problem for New Babies   Potential Problem for New Babies Icon_minitimeThu Apr 01, 2010 3:50 am

I've been keeping an eye on a pair of new babies. Thier parents are the same two who gave birth to Tehya (who you can read about here: https://pij-n-angels.forumotion.net/feral-pigeons-and-doves-f3/question-about-baby-feral-t1223-0.htm) as well as these guys: https://pij-n-angels.forumotion.net/feral-pigeons-and-doves-f3/baby-ferals-t1352.htm.

As you can see in this picture, I "upgraded" the nest with a rolled up towel immediately after these guys hatched, so that no one would wander off:

Potential Problem for New Babies Batch3

The babies seem to be fine so far, but yesterday, the parents stopped spending the night with them. I think the parents are still feeding them, just not staying with them constantly. Are the babies old enough to be left alone like this? We've had fairly warm weather the past few days, but it's supposed to get much colder tomorrow.

The parents are about 20 feet away from the babies, at the other end of the ductwork where the nest is built.
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Potential Problem for New Babies   Potential Problem for New Babies Icon_minitimeThu Apr 01, 2010 7:31 am

Hi Jim, Hi there/Bye
Many thanks for helping to keep the babies as safe as possible.

From my understanding, the parents will leave the babies alone at times at this point, but will continue to feed them.
I would suggest keeping an eye on the babies and if it looks like the parents are feeding them, then I would let them be. If they aren't feeding them, then some intervention needs to take place.

You're right about the weather. It's suppose to cool down quite a bit from what we've been having.

Please keep us posted on how things are going.
Back to top Go down
http://www.pigeonangels.com
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: Potential Problem for New Babies   Potential Problem for New Babies Icon_minitimeThu Apr 01, 2010 8:13 am

Jim...the parents leave babies to begin a new newt when the babies are between 7-10 days old.
Back to top Go down
pigeonwriter
Special Pigeon Angel
pigeonwriter

PostSubject: Re: Potential Problem for New Babies   Potential Problem for New Babies Icon_minitimeThu Apr 01, 2010 9:33 am

Jim, I have watched this to be normal. If the weather is really getting cold though I have also watched the parents to return to the nest to warm the babies.
Back to top Go down
http://www.vyala-arts.com
jimc2000
Special Pigeon Angel

PostSubject: Re: Potential Problem for New Babies   Potential Problem for New Babies Icon_minitimeSun Apr 25, 2010 5:13 pm

Well, the babies are old enough that Mom and Dad have kicked them out of the nest (actually the ventilation shaft where they've spent their whole lives to date.)

Potential Problem for New Babies Batch3-1
Potential Problem for New Babies Batch3-2

They've been sitting in the same spot all day. They kind of cringe away from me when I come near, but they don't fly away. In order to get outside inho the real world, they would need to fly out of a 1-foot by two-foot opening that is about 3 feet above where they are sitting. They've seen Mom & Dad go in and out of that opening many times. I've put seeds down by them, but they don't seem to be eating. I don't think Mom & Dad are feeding them.

Do I need to do anything, or will this get worked out on its own?
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: Potential Problem for New Babies   Potential Problem for New Babies Icon_minitimeSun Apr 25, 2010 6:59 pm

Seeing the picture...I think you shuld pick each up to make sure they have food in their crop.
Back to top Go down
jimc2000
Special Pigeon Angel

PostSubject: Re: Potential Problem for New Babies   Potential Problem for New Babies Icon_minitimeWed Apr 28, 2010 4:40 am

I checked, and there wasn't much in their crops. I force fed both squeakers with corn and peas a few times on Sunday.

On Monday morning, they were still in the same spot, so I caught them and put them back up in their ventilator-shaft home. I was hoping Mom and/or Dad would feed them. Instead, when I checked a few hours later they were gone. Dad pigeon was gone too, so I hoped he had taken them out to teach them to forage for food. At sunset Monday, I saw them out in the urban wild, about 20 feet from their former home. They seemed OK, but maybe a little nervous. I went to get a towel to throw over them so I could catch them and check them over, but they were gone when I got back. I'll look for them at dawn and throw down some seeds to see if they're eating, and if not, I'll try to catch them again.
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Potential Problem for New Babies   Potential Problem for New Babies Icon_minitimeWed Apr 28, 2010 7:09 am

They sure are an adorable pair.

That's a great idea to put some seed down and keep an eye on them to make sure they are eating.
Hopefully they will get the eating down pat by watching Mom and/or Dad or any other ferals that are around.

Be particularly attentive to any bullying. I've seen it happen to newbies on the block with our backyard flock. Disappointed :For Shame:

We appreciate the update and please keep us posted.
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: Potential Problem for New Babies   Potential Problem for New Babies Icon_minitimeWed Apr 28, 2010 8:21 am

I'll be hoping for the best for those sweet babies.
Back to top Go down
jimc2000
Special Pigeon Angel

PostSubject: Re: Potential Problem for New Babies   Potential Problem for New Babies Icon_minitimeWed Apr 28, 2010 10:26 am

I found them at dawn this morning and watched them for a while. The older one was pecking at seeds somewhat tentatively. The younger one wasn't trying at all and was limping. I managed to catch the younger one and got a bunch of water and 30 pieces of corn & peas into him. I stuck him in a milk crate to rest and recover. He was pretty weak. The older one is being a lot more "wild" and energetic and will be much harder to catch. He might be adapting OK, but I'm skeptical...
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: Potential Problem for New Babies   Potential Problem for New Babies Icon_minitimeWed Apr 28, 2010 10:30 am

We are going to call your book... As The Flock Grows

Poor little bird.
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Potential Problem for New Babies   Potential Problem for New Babies Icon_minitimeWed Apr 28, 2010 1:02 pm

I'm glad you were able to catch the little one, Jim.

He probably just needs a little more inside 'growing up' time, with assistance.
Please let up know how things are going.

I'm glad to hear the sibling appears to be doing OK. Potential Problem for New Babies 142829
Back to top Go down
pigeonwriter
Special Pigeon Angel
pigeonwriter

PostSubject: Re: Potential Problem for New Babies   Potential Problem for New Babies Icon_minitimeSat May 08, 2010 12:22 pm

Jim, how is the little one doing?
Although I cannot look back on as much experience as all the wonderful rehabbers here I have had the same experience with all of my pijjies who were weak. I tube fed them regularly with human baby cereal (with apple, without milk), made with warm cinnamon tea, sometimes several times a day depending on the constitution. Sometimes I added some unsweetened joghurt for digestional flora. In all cases they gained weight quickly. When they seemed to digest well, I replaced one of their meals with de-frosted green peas.
Back to top Go down
http://www.vyala-arts.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Potential Problem for New Babies   Potential Problem for New Babies Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Potential Problem for New Babies
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Pigeon Angels :: Emergency Room :: Pigeon Rescue, Suspect Injury-
Jump to: