Pigeon Angels
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pigeon Angels

RegisterSearchLatest imagesHomeLog in
At this time Pigeon Angels forum is in an archive status. For assistance please log into Pigeon Angels Facebook by clicking the following link. Thank You https://www.facebook.com/groups/176239232007/?hc_location=stream

Feral Pigeon Control

Go down 
+2
pigeonwriter
Matilda
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

Feral Pigeon Control Empty
PostSubject: Feral Pigeon Control   Feral Pigeon Control Icon_minitimeSat Apr 03, 2010 5:47 pm

Back to top Go down
pigeonwriter
Special Pigeon Angel
pigeonwriter

PostSubject: Re: Feral Pigeon Control   Feral Pigeon Control Icon_minitimeSun Apr 04, 2010 4:25 am

Hi Charis, I know these research reports and have been in contact with this guy even. Their result seems to be a bit simple: food reduction is the only way to control the pigeon population. BUT I have read other reports which came to a different conclusion, saying that shortage of food increases the breeding sequency in order to save the species which makes sense to me. Sadly enough we can observe the same behaviour in the human species - can't we?
Back to top Go down
http://www.vyala-arts.com
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: Feral Pigeon Control   Feral Pigeon Control Icon_minitimeSun Apr 04, 2010 8:22 am

Petra...I posted this article because it's clear to me after reading it, that the idea toimpose fines on people for feeding the pigeons comes from this study. This concept has spread world wide...kind of like Woody Allen's, flying rat analogy and I find it very disturbing. It seems that as a whole, humankind opts for the most drastic solutions rather than human solutions.
Back to top Go down
pigeonwriter
Special Pigeon Angel
pigeonwriter

PostSubject: Re: Feral Pigeon Control   Feral Pigeon Control Icon_minitimeMon Apr 05, 2010 3:10 am

That's why I had put this research report under "Scientific Ignorance" on my Pigeon Tales blog. I am collecting this kind of stuff to show the narrowmindedness of these "educated" people!
Back to top Go down
http://www.vyala-arts.com
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: Feral Pigeon Control   Feral Pigeon Control Icon_minitimeMon Apr 05, 2010 8:44 am

I'm glad you did, Petra. The pigeon's future depend upon us re-indoctrinating the human population with the same humane advise repeated over and over, whenever we can..
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Feral Pigeon Control   Feral Pigeon Control Icon_minitimeMon Apr 05, 2010 8:33 pm

I've only had time to read about a third of it, but I'll read the rest as soon as I can.
I've wondered about their theories, but there is some very good information about the toxicity of some of the 'pigeon pills' which I had not seen elsewhere. I'm glad, in the short term, that they are 100% against killing pigeons (even in so-called 'humane' ways), and it will be interesting to see what evidence they use to say food reduction will lead to population reduction.
Back to top Go down
Pigeon

Pigeon

PostSubject: Re: Feral Pigeon Control   Feral Pigeon Control Icon_minitimeMon May 31, 2010 2:24 pm

But in general, what are your opinions about reducing pigeon population? Should there be any pop. control and why?

I've been against it forever.

Al Streit
Back to top Go down
http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/pijnpeople
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: Feral Pigeon Control   Feral Pigeon Control Icon_minitimeMon May 31, 2010 2:38 pm

I don't think the feral pigeon population should be controled, but no matter what I think or any of the rest of us that advocate on their behalf, there are many that thionk they should be controled.
Unfortunately, the method of control has involved poisioning or shooting becasue that's what humans do with creatures they find inconvienent. ...they kill them. I think they kill them because it's easy. I personally think some would rather kill, because they have an innate need to kill living things.
Back to top Go down
Pigeon

Pigeon

PostSubject: Re: Feral Pigeon Control   Feral Pigeon Control Icon_minitimeMon May 31, 2010 2:52 pm

Thanks for your answer, Charis.
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: Feral Pigeon Control   Feral Pigeon Control Icon_minitimeMon May 31, 2010 2:59 pm

I don't know how to combat that innate [sick] need in some. They don't give one hoot what I feel...think. They would just as soon silence me or any of the rest of us that stand up to them.
I think we should continue to stand up to them regardless. I will.
Back to top Go down
Pigeon

Pigeon

PostSubject: Re: Feral Pigeon Control   Feral Pigeon Control Icon_minitimeMon May 31, 2010 3:16 pm

Your slogan says it all:

Take joy in every creature,
embrace them
as brother and sister.

DO NO HARM
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: Feral Pigeon Control   Feral Pigeon Control Icon_minitimeMon May 31, 2010 3:31 pm

Yes...and I do.
Back to top Go down
NiteOwl
Special Pigeon Angel
NiteOwl

PostSubject: Re: Feral Pigeon Control   Feral Pigeon Control Icon_minitimeWed Jun 02, 2010 1:22 pm

Interesting article. There will always be many who think that they should be controlled, and when people feed, I believe they do breed more. If not fed, and left to look for natural food like they did way in the past, when people kept dove cotes and let them go out to find food, would they not breed less? By feeding, do we not increase their numbers? It is this increase in numbers that so many are against. Small flocks would bother not many. So what is the answer? Is there one?
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Feral Pigeon Control   Feral Pigeon Control Icon_minitimeThu Jun 03, 2010 4:35 am

It's a difficult question.
Ideally, there shouldn't be a need to control the feral populations, but I believe it has to be considered when the birds' lives are in danger. I have tried to gather information on pigeon contraceptives, and unfortunately they don't seem to be a viable solution, so that leaves city lofts, which offer the birds shelter and protection and allow the population to continue to feed them, as the only workable option for me.
I can live with the thought of removing newly-laid eggs (I do it to my indoor pigeons too, I have to) but I hate the thought of killing any creature for any reason than to save a terminal patient further suffering.

Last edited by Teresa on Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Feral Pigeon Control   Feral Pigeon Control Icon_minitimeThu Jun 03, 2010 7:46 am

Teresa wrote:
It's a difficult question.
Ideally, there shouldn't be a need to control the feral populations, but I believe it has to be considered when the birds' lives are in danger.

I have tried to gather information on pigeon contraceptives, and unfortunately they don't seem to be a viable solution, so that lives city lofts, which offer the birds shelter and protection and allow the population to continue to feed them, as the only workable option for me.
I can live with the thought of removing newly-laid eggs (I do it to my indoor pigeons too, I have to) but I hate the thought of killing any creature for any reason than to save a terminal patient further suffering.

I agree, Teresa. :Yes:
And it's been proven over and over that pigeons' lives are in danger.
So many have been eliminated by pest control companies placing Avatrol tainted corn out for them Seeing red/mad because of over population.
Back to top Go down
http://www.pigeonangels.com
NiteOwl
Special Pigeon Angel
NiteOwl

PostSubject: Re: Feral Pigeon Control   Feral Pigeon Control Icon_minitimeThu Jun 03, 2010 3:14 pm

Well this is going to happen as long as their populations grow. That is when the problem starts. The city lofts are a great way of dealing with the issue, but how do you sell that idea to the different cities and towns? I guess through more and more education. Maybe some day.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Feral Pigeon Control   Feral Pigeon Control Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Feral Pigeon Control
Page 1 of 1