Pigeon Angels
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pigeon Angels

RegisterSearchLatest imagesHomeLog in
At this time Pigeon Angels forum is in an archive status. For assistance please log into Pigeon Angels Facebook by clicking the following link. Thank You https://www.facebook.com/groups/176239232007/?hc_location=stream

Web footed feral pigeon

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Jenaka
Special Pigeon Angel
Jenaka

Web footed feral pigeon Empty
PostSubject: Web footed feral pigeon   Web footed feral pigeon Icon_minitimeSat May 30, 2009 1:43 am

I recently noticed a feral who has been visiting my yard had odd looking feet. She walked with a slight limp and the toes seemed stuck together. I though it might be a string injury so I trapped her. I was surprised to find that the outer toe was attached to the center toe by a web of skin! I've heard it can happen but this is the first time I've seen it. The bird was fine otherwise. I released her. She wasn't put out by being trapped, she still comes by for handouts. Here's some pictures of Webby Smile .

Web footed feral pigeon Foot10

Web footed feral pigeon Webby10
Back to top Go down
http://twitter.com/PigeonFriend
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Web footed feral pigeon   Web footed feral pigeon Icon_minitimeSat May 30, 2009 6:32 am

That's very interesting, Jen.
I had never heard of this condition in pigeons. :WHAT?:
It's great you were able to catch her, check her out and get a picture. Way to go
Thanks for sharing Webby with us.
She sure looks to be a healthy pij otherwise. Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.pigeonangels.com
NiteOwl
Special Pigeon Angel
NiteOwl

PostSubject: Catching a pigeon   Web footed feral pigeon Icon_minitimeFri Jun 05, 2009 6:07 pm

How did you catch her? I have a ferral flock that comes to my yard, but if I were to notice something wrong with one of them, I don't know that I could catch one of them. They disappeared over the winter, as hawks were really bad this year. We were getting one or two a week. They have started coming back, but are very cautious. Even with me. They didn't used to be so nervous before. I know some people catch them with a box and string, but it seems unlikely that the right one would be brave enough to go into the box. How would you do it?
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: Web footed feral pigeon   Web footed feral pigeon Icon_minitimeFri Jun 05, 2009 6:14 pm

Wow! That's really somethin.

Back to top Go down
Jenaka
Special Pigeon Angel
Jenaka

PostSubject: Re: Web footed feral pigeon   Web footed feral pigeon Icon_minitimeSat Jun 06, 2009 3:50 pm

NiteOwl wrote:
How did you catch her? I have a ferral flock that comes to my yard, but if I were to notice something wrong with one of them, I don't know that I could catch one of them. They disappeared over the winter, as hawks were really bad this year. We were getting one or two a week. They have started coming back, but are very cautious. Even with me. They didn't used to be so nervous before. I know some people catch them with a box and string, but it seems unlikely that the right one would be brave enough to go into the box. How would you do it?

I had no luck with a box trap. Here is a quick video of the trap I used. I put seed in the far corner so they had to walk all the way in.
Cage Trap

Here's the page that explains how to make that cage. It's an inexpensive way to make a big, lightweight cage.
Cage instructions
Back to top Go down
http://twitter.com/PigeonFriend
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Web footed feral pigeon   Web footed feral pigeon Icon_minitimeSat Jun 06, 2009 4:02 pm

Good post
Thanks for sharing the video on the cage trap and the instructions for making the cage.
It helps when we can actually see how things work. Right on
Back to top Go down
http://www.pigeonangels.com
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Web footed feral pigeon   Web footed feral pigeon Icon_minitimeThu Aug 06, 2009 10:23 pm

Thanks for the post and photos, Jen, I had never seen a pigeon with webbed toes -- didn't even know it could happen. Lovely pigeon, by the way! Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Web footed feral pigeon   Web footed feral pigeon Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Web footed feral pigeon
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Pigeon Angels :: Pigeons and Their Friends :: Feral Pigeons and Doves-
Jump to: