Pigeon Angels
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pigeon Angels

RegisterSearchLatest imagesHomeLog in
At this time Pigeon Angels forum is in an archive status. For assistance please log into Pigeon Angels Facebook by clicking the following link. Thank You https://www.facebook.com/groups/176239232007/?hc_location=stream

squeaker with missing eye

Go down 
+5
Teresa
AZWhitefeather
Jackie\'s Mom
Matilda
jimc2000
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
jimc2000
Special Pigeon Angel

squeaker with missing eye Empty
PostSubject: squeaker with missing eye   squeaker with missing eye Icon_minitimeThu May 20, 2010 7:09 pm

A severely injured young pigeon showed up looking for help. He has a head injury and is missing an eye. The following pictures are disturbing, but necessary for folks to see what's going on.

squeaker with missing eye No10-0
squeaker with missing eye No10-1
squeaker with missing eye No10-2

The wound has a rotten meat smell to it, which is clearly not good.

I dipped his beak in some water, but he wasn't interested.

What should I do to help him? My guess would be to put neosporin cream on the wound, give him half a baytril tablet now and 1/4 tablet for 9 more days. Maybe let him rest today and then try to force feed him corn & peas 3 times a day starting tomorrow.

That's just me guessing randomly though, so help from the experts here would be greatly appreciated.
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: squeaker with missing eye   squeaker with missing eye Icon_minitimeThu May 20, 2010 7:43 pm

You probably should feed tonight as the baytril can make them feel sick if they don't have food in their crop.
Louise can give you good advice about the eye as she has doctored 3 squeakers with eye loss, in the past couple of years.
Back to top Go down
Jackie\'s Mom
Special Pigeon Angel
Jackie\'s Mom

PostSubject: Re: squeaker with missing eye   squeaker with missing eye Icon_minitimeThu May 20, 2010 7:46 pm

Hi Jim.....Although the pictures look awful, this type of injury should not be life threating.

I have had 3 different birds with a similar injury and all have survived.

I just got off the phone with Jim, but I will also post my instructions to him.

First of all the, the bird is a Squeaker. It was squeaking when Jim rescued him. Bird looks about 4/6 weeks old to me.

I instructed Jim to make a 50/50 solution of either peroxide or benitine and cleanse the eye with a cotton ball. He states that there is yellow pus in the eye socket, and I told him not to force the pus if it is solid out, but to apply minimal pressure in an attempt to remove it. Next he is to flush the entire area with either a syringer or eye dropper with the same solution. Then to pat it dry and then apply neosporin to the entire area. This should be repeated 2/3 times a day until a full scap appears. Then it is to be kept dry allowing the scap to fall off naturally.

I also instructed him to go ahead with the Baytril for a minimum of 7 days to treat or prevent any further infection.

I also instructed him to first hydrate the baby. Make sure the bird has an ample supply of seed and water available, but to hand feed some formula if the bird does not start eating on it's own.

This bird should do fine with Jim's care, however I let Jim know that because it's sight has now been compromised that the bird is deemed unreleasable.

Poor Baby..........it looks so bad, but with all us Pigeon angel watching over him he should be just fine. Jim has my number and can call me at any time he needs me.

Thank you Jim for caring and saving yet another one.

Louise
squeaker with missing eye 789920

Also Jim..........If Charis has not already mentioned it to you, I would also treat the bird for Canker. A traumatic injury such as this could easily bring on a canker attack, so as a precautionary measure treat for canker as well.
Back to top Go down
jimc2000
Special Pigeon Angel

PostSubject: Re: squeaker with missing eye   squeaker with missing eye Icon_minitimeThu May 20, 2010 8:46 pm

After cleaning and flushing the wound, I was able to get a better photograph:

squeaker with missing eye No10-3

The yellow mass in the eye socket is what I was calling a solid mass of pus. I was unable to remove it, although I might have loosened it a bit -- after I held a cotton ball soaked with 50/50 peroxide and water against it for a minute or so, it looked like some clear fluid ran out of it. There's clearly a lot of swelling on that side of the face too.

He drank some water on his own, and, having seen Charis's post about getting food into him, I'm going to give him 30 peas. (His crop is pretty empty.)
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: squeaker with missing eye   squeaker with missing eye Icon_minitimeThu May 20, 2010 8:52 pm

That almost looks like a very bad case of canker. I would start him on metronidazole as well.
How does the throat look?
It will be very interesting to see what his poops look like too.
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: squeaker with missing eye   squeaker with missing eye Icon_minitimeThu May 20, 2010 8:52 pm

Thanks for taking in and helping this little one, Jim.

Looking at the last picture, I wouldn't rule out canker. Hmmm
Back to top Go down
http://www.pigeonangels.com
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: squeaker with missing eye   squeaker with missing eye Icon_minitimeThu May 20, 2010 8:53 pm

More than 30 peas would be better.
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: squeaker with missing eye   squeaker with missing eye Icon_minitimeThu May 20, 2010 8:53 pm

We posted at the same time, Charis, and it looks like we're thinking along the same line. Canker.
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: squeaker with missing eye   squeaker with missing eye Icon_minitimeThu May 20, 2010 8:57 pm

I wouldn't remove that plug in the face because if it is canker, doing so may cause a bleed.
Back to top Go down
Jackie\'s Mom
Special Pigeon Angel
Jackie\'s Mom

PostSubject: Re: squeaker with missing eye   squeaker with missing eye Icon_minitimeThu May 20, 2010 9:03 pm

Jim.....The clear liquid coming from the wounded eye is normal. It is called weeping and could continue until the bird is completely healed.

The pus being a solid mass might have to be surgically removed by a vet if it is can not be loosened enough and removed over the next few days during your cleaning procedures.

As a precautionary measure treat for Canker as well along with the Baytril. Both medications work well together and should not be a problem.

Please keep us posted of the birds progress and feel free to call me if you have any further concerns or questions.

Louise
squeaker with missing eye 789920
Back to top Go down
Jackie\'s Mom
Special Pigeon Angel
Jackie\'s Mom

PostSubject: Re: squeaker with missing eye   squeaker with missing eye Icon_minitimeThu May 20, 2010 9:12 pm

JIm,............Have you checked inside the birds mouth and throat. Do you see any signs of Canker in there.????

This could be a canker, but it also does look like the pus plugs I have had removed from a few of my birds as well.

In any case treat for canker. Be very careful not to apply to much pressure when cleaning the area, you wouldn't want to tear the surrounding area and cause a bleed.

Louise
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: squeaker with missing eye   squeaker with missing eye Icon_minitimeThu May 20, 2010 9:13 pm

Louise...did Jackie's eye have a plug like that too?
Back to top Go down
Jackie\'s Mom
Special Pigeon Angel
Jackie\'s Mom

PostSubject: Re: squeaker with missing eye   squeaker with missing eye Icon_minitimeThu May 20, 2010 9:20 pm

No, Jackie's injury was much more extensive her entire head, eye and side of her face were all bloodied and involved. Bear in mind I found her almost immediately after the injury occured, before infection had set in.

However............Little Una's eye.......the one that lost it on the spikes on the neighbors roofs, did have a yellow pus plug like that that turned black after the antiboitic treatment and then feel off along with the eye.

That's why I think it could be either canker or infection. He needs to check the birds throat to see if there are any other signs.

I really think this bird should be seen by a Vet to be certain.

Wish he were closer, I would go to Dr. Hauck first thing in the morning.

Louise
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: squeaker with missing eye   squeaker with missing eye Icon_minitimeThu May 20, 2010 9:20 pm

I didn't know that canker lesions could be present in the eye sockets, so I'd thought the hard yellow stuff was pus, and that there might be something of what caused the injury under it -- so I'm also learning from this thread, and the great advice in it!

Question: Is it possible for us to tell the difference between a hard abcess and a canker lesion, or is that something only a vet can do?

Best wishes for your new patient, Jim! Hope he gets better soon!
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: squeaker with missing eye   squeaker with missing eye Icon_minitimeThu May 20, 2010 9:26 pm

Teresa...I had a squeaker once that had canker all up inside the sinus area. It was horrible. This one had a similar look. Back then, we though 1 spartrix pill was the cure and even getting spartrix was a major challenge. There was none available here and so I had to get it form the Seattle area. They had me put a check in the mail and the check had to clear the bank before they would send the medicine. Well,...1 pill didn't do it and so Deb euthanised the bird so it wouldn't suffer more than he already had. That bird haunts me to this day. We knew so little but we tried really hard.

With this bird, I can't tell by the picture if it's canker or an injury.
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: squeaker with missing eye   squeaker with missing eye Icon_minitimeThu May 20, 2010 10:04 pm

Poor little one! It's always hard to see suffering, but I think it's especially poignant when it happens to one so young.
Thank goodness for Pigeon angel Pigeon angel Pigeon angel Pigeon angel
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: squeaker with missing eye   squeaker with missing eye Icon_minitimeThu May 20, 2010 11:43 pm

Teresa wrote:

I didn't know that canker lesions could be present in the eye sockets, so I'd thought the hard yellow stuff was pus, and that there might be something of what caused the injury under it -- so I'm also learning from this thread, and the great advice in it!

Question: Is it possible for us to tell the difference between a hard abcess and a canker lesion, or is that something only a vet can do?

Best wishes for your new patient, Jim! Hope he gets better soon!

Kim's Jack had canker so bad it caused a severe sissor beak and he lost the sight from his right eye.
Bless his heart, he's doing wonderfully and has for a few years now. Pigeon angel
Back to top Go down
Jackie\'s Mom
Special Pigeon Angel
Jackie\'s Mom

PostSubject: Re: squeaker with missing eye   squeaker with missing eye Icon_minitimeFri May 21, 2010 11:16 am

JIm, How is the baby doing today?

Have you started the caker medication? and been able to inspect inside his mouth and throat?

Please keep us posted.

Louise
Back to top Go down
Tech
Special Pigeon Angel

PostSubject: Re: squeaker with missing eye   squeaker with missing eye Icon_minitimeFri May 21, 2010 11:51 am

All I could help is pray. Very sad
Back to top Go down
jimc2000
Special Pigeon Angel

PostSubject: Re: squeaker with missing eye   squeaker with missing eye Icon_minitimeFri May 21, 2010 6:06 pm

I'll post some pictures later tonight, but things are looking better. The swelling has gone down some and it looks like the suspected pus plug isn't what we thought. After doing an initial cleaning with the hydrogen peroxide and water I went and got some betadine. When I was cleaning the area with the betadine and water solution, the lower part of the pus-looking structure rubbed off, looking like a thin scab. This morning, the upper part of it had pulled away and dried up. It's now hanging like a scab over the eye socket, which I can see now, underneath it. I think it might be the remnant of the eyelid, or some other type of tissue.

He's been eating some seeds on his own, and I'm giving him 15 ccs of formula a few times a day to supplement his diet.
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: squeaker with missing eye   squeaker with missing eye Icon_minitimeFri May 21, 2010 6:14 pm

jimc2000 wrote:
I'll post some pictures later tonight, but things are looking better. The swelling has gone down some and it looks like the suspected pus plug isn't what we thought. After doing an initial cleaning with the hydrogen peroxide and water I went and got some betadine. When I was cleaning the area with the betadine and water solution, the lower part of the pus-looking structure rubbed off, looking like a thin scab. This morning, the upper part of it had pulled away and dried up. It's now hanging like a scab over the eye socket, which I can see now, underneath it. I think it might be the remnant of the eyelid, or some other type of tissue.

He's been eating some seeds on his own, and I'm giving him 15 ccs of formula a few times a day to supplement his diet.

What does it look like it is?
Back to top Go down
jimc2000
Special Pigeon Angel

PostSubject: Re: squeaker with missing eye   squeaker with missing eye Icon_minitimeFri May 21, 2010 6:22 pm

Quick update as I'm heading out the door -- I gave him 1/4 baytril about 40 minutes ago along with 15 cc of formula. He just threw up 2 or 3 ccs of formula and a pea that he presumably ate last night. His crop felt empty before I gave him the baytril and formula...
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: squeaker with missing eye   squeaker with missing eye Icon_minitimeFri May 21, 2010 6:24 pm

Has he had metronidazole yet today?
Back to top Go down
Jackie\'s Mom
Special Pigeon Angel
Jackie\'s Mom

PostSubject: Re: squeaker with missing eye   squeaker with missing eye Icon_minitimeFri May 21, 2010 9:23 pm

Jim, I'm glad to hear that the bird appears to be a little better thismorning.

Have you started the canker medication and checked inside his mouth and throat for any signs or yellow substances?

The baytril could have caused him to vomit. How do his poops look?

Please post a new picture as soon as you can.

Louise
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: squeaker with missing eye   squeaker with missing eye Icon_minitimeFri May 21, 2010 11:10 pm

Appreciate the update, Jim.
I'm glad to hear the little one seems to be doing better.

Positive thoughts continue. squeaker with missing eye 142829
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: squeaker with missing eye   squeaker with missing eye Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

squeaker with missing eye
Page 1 of 6Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next