Pigeon Angels
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pigeon Angels

RegisterSearchLatest imagesHomeLog in
At this time Pigeon Angels forum is in an archive status. For assistance please log into Pigeon Angels Facebook by clicking the following link. Thank You https://www.facebook.com/groups/176239232007/?hc_location=stream

ANOTHER NEW RESCUE

Go down 
+2
Matilda
Jackie\'s Mom
6 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Jackie\'s Mom
Special Pigeon Angel
Jackie\'s Mom

ANOTHER NEW RESCUE Empty
PostSubject: ANOTHER NEW RESCUE   ANOTHER NEW RESCUE Icon_minitimeTue Aug 17, 2010 8:50 pm

Went outside at dusk to check on my ferals, making sure everyone is home at roost.

When I looked to the watering pans there was a bird lying down in one of the pans. :eek:

I was able to pick the bird right up....no resistance. When I picked up the bird I got a gush of fluid coming out of the mouth. When I pressed on the crop, more and more liquid came out of this bird. Not feeling well Opened his beak........he is loaded with canker Disappointed His breath is foul YUK

I brought him in and gave him 50mg Flagyl. His throat is not blocked and he was able to swallow which is a good sign ANOTHER NEW RESCUE 395766 I have him secured for the night, on the heating pad. I did not attempt to give him any hydration or food. His crop was overloaded with fluid and I think it best to let him rest for the rest of the night.

In the morning, I will give him a Spartrix tablet and attempt to give a small amount of Kaytee. I haven't seen any poops yet, but I might start him on Cipro as well in the morning.

I've lost so many this summer Very sad Very sad Very sad to canker. This is an adult bird, seems to be in better shape than most I have rescued. I really hope and pray this bird has a chance to survive. Pigeon angel

Louise
ANOTHER NEW RESCUE 789920
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

ANOTHER NEW RESCUE Empty
PostSubject: Re: ANOTHER NEW RESCUE   ANOTHER NEW RESCUE Icon_minitimeTue Aug 17, 2010 9:17 pm

I would have done exactly the same Louise. Poor bird.
I really hope this one turns out to be a survivor. You have had so many casualties to canker this summer. I hate canker almost more than any of the other pigeon diseases.
Back to top Go down
priya
Special Pigeon Angel
priya

ANOTHER NEW RESCUE Empty
PostSubject: Re: ANOTHER NEW RESCUE   ANOTHER NEW RESCUE Icon_minitimeWed Aug 18, 2010 7:13 am

Poor bird Very sad glad you found him.
Will have him in my prayers.
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

ANOTHER NEW RESCUE Empty
PostSubject: Re: ANOTHER NEW RESCUE   ANOTHER NEW RESCUE Icon_minitimeWed Aug 18, 2010 7:18 am

I'm sorry to hear about your most recent rescue, Louise. Very sad
How's he doing this morning?

Were you going to see about getting him in to see Dr. Hauck this morning?
Back to top Go down
http://www.pigeonangels.com
EgypSwiftLady
Special Pigeon Angel
EgypSwiftLady

ANOTHER NEW RESCUE Empty
PostSubject: Re: ANOTHER NEW RESCUE   ANOTHER NEW RESCUE Icon_minitimeWed Aug 18, 2010 7:38 am

Matilda wrote:
I would have done exactly the same Louise. Poor bird.
I really hope this one turns out to be a survivor. You have had so many casualties to canker this summer. I hate canker almost more than any of the other pigeon diseases.

Seems as though canker is the leading problem with feral pigeons Very sad If the canker doesn't get them than it brings them so down that another problem sets in.

Louise I so hope that you got this poor pij in time, sending healing vibes & prayers. Fingers crossed
Back to top Go down
http://www.ironwolffarmsanctuary.com
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

ANOTHER NEW RESCUE Empty
PostSubject: Re: ANOTHER NEW RESCUE   ANOTHER NEW RESCUE Icon_minitimeWed Aug 18, 2010 9:04 am

Robin...how's the bird this morning?
Back to top Go down
Jackie\'s Mom
Special Pigeon Angel
Jackie\'s Mom

ANOTHER NEW RESCUE Empty
PostSubject: Re: ANOTHER NEW RESCUE   ANOTHER NEW RESCUE Icon_minitimeWed Aug 18, 2010 9:30 am

Charis..........Why are you calling me Robin??? You did so last night as well. It's me Charis, LOUISE!!! LOL

The new rescue seems stronger and more alert this morning. The canker in the mouth looks unchanged from last night.

I managed to get 10cc of watery Kaytee into the bird........no problem swallowing. Administered Spartrix and 0.3ml Cipro.

This bird only did 2 tiny little poops overnight. I am a bit concerned as after feeding this morning I observed the bird back up, squat and attempt to poop but nothing was expelled.
I've checked the vent area, there is no blockage and I don't feel any presence of an egg. I want to see if the Kaytee given this morning passes through the system.

In any case.........I have an appointment with Dr. Hauck at 3:30PM this afternoon. Will address my concerns with him and get his expert opinion.

I will also be taking Little Feathered Feet in for her final check-up.

I'll update later.

Louise

Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

ANOTHER NEW RESCUE Empty
PostSubject: Re: ANOTHER NEW RESCUE   ANOTHER NEW RESCUE Icon_minitimeWed Aug 18, 2010 9:47 am

Jackie's Mom wrote:
Charis..........Why are you calling me Robin??? You did so last night as well. It's me Charis, LOUISE!!! LOL

The new rescue seems stronger and more alert this morning. The canker in the mouth looks unchanged from last night.

I managed to get 10cc of watery Kaytee into the bird........no problem swallowing. Administered Spartrix and 0.3ml Cipro.

This bird only did 2 tiny little poops overnight. I am a bit concerned as after feeding this morning I observed the bird back up, squat and attempt to poop but nothing was expelled.
I've checked the vent area, there is no blockage and I don't feel any presence of an egg. I want to see if the Kaytee given this morning passes through the system.

In any case.........I have an appointment with Dr. Hauck at 3:30PM this afternoon. Will address my concerns with him and get his expert opinion.

I will also be taking Little Feathered Feet in for her final check-up.

I'll update later.

Louise

I know that...senior moment, I guess! ANOTHER NEW RESCUE 310554 ...sorry Sorry

Back to the bird...try the applesauce. Nystatin wouldn't hurt either.
Back to top Go down
EgypSwiftLady
Special Pigeon Angel
EgypSwiftLady

ANOTHER NEW RESCUE Empty
PostSubject: Re: ANOTHER NEW RESCUE   ANOTHER NEW RESCUE Icon_minitimeWed Aug 18, 2010 9:50 am

With both of us having pigeons with canker at the same time I'm not surprised Charis has us mixed up Louise! Laughing

Good to hear that the pij is looking better & you are able to get some kaytee into it. Maybe it hasn't pooped much because like you said when you first picked it up all the water the pij drank came gushing out and it didn't have anything until this morning to expel. Hmmm

Please let us know what Dr.Hauck has to say about this pijjie & little Feather Feet. ANOTHER NEW RESCUE 395766
Back to top Go down
Jackie\'s Mom
Special Pigeon Angel
Jackie\'s Mom

ANOTHER NEW RESCUE Empty
PostSubject: Re: ANOTHER NEW RESCUE   ANOTHER NEW RESCUE Icon_minitimeWed Aug 18, 2010 10:51 am

Bird is pooping YESS!! Very large sploches of white urates mixed with green slime.

The bird is acting so much better, she actually flew from the ktchen counter up to the top of the fridgerator. I really think I caught this one in time Fingers crossed

I will give her some more Kaytee mixed with baby applesauce and yogurt around noon.

Charis...........no problem.........I understand.........I'm confused all the time about what day of the week it is. ANOTHER NEW RESCUE 310554 LOL

Louise
Back to top Go down
Jackie\'s Mom
Special Pigeon Angel
Jackie\'s Mom

ANOTHER NEW RESCUE Empty
PostSubject: Re: ANOTHER NEW RESCUE   ANOTHER NEW RESCUE Icon_minitimeWed Aug 18, 2010 2:41 pm

I'm worried Disappointed

This bird has not pooped since the one sploch this morning. I don't think anything is moving through her system. ANOTHER NEW RESCUE 559177

When I went to feed her again at noon, when I felt the crop, liquid came gushing out of the mouth again. Not feeling well The crop feels swollen with air. She is gasping somewhat. I gave her a dose of Nystatin.

I can't get over to Dr. Hauck ANOTHER NEW RESCUE 193770 soon enough. They are squeasing me in today, but I think I am going to go a little earlier.

Louise
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

ANOTHER NEW RESCUE Empty
PostSubject: Re: ANOTHER NEW RESCUE   ANOTHER NEW RESCUE Icon_minitimeWed Aug 18, 2010 3:20 pm

Poor thing! Very sad
I'm keeping you both in my thoughts and prayers. ANOTHER NEW RESCUE 983488
Back to top Go down
Jackie\'s Mom
Special Pigeon Angel
Jackie\'s Mom

ANOTHER NEW RESCUE Empty
PostSubject: Re: ANOTHER NEW RESCUE   ANOTHER NEW RESCUE Icon_minitimeWed Aug 18, 2010 6:14 pm

I just returned from Dr. Hauck.

There are not enough words to describe how much I hate this disease called canker. Seeing red/mad Evil, wrong doing Major Rant

This post will be long, but I feel it is important for future reference and learning by all.

The birds condition is critical Disappointed ............Dr. Hauck feels there is a canker obstruction in the lower crop where it empties into the digestive tract. This is the reason for the lack of poops. There is residual fluid from the last feeding gushing from the mouth when the crop is massaged

The prognosis for this type of canker is almost always fatal Very sad However, Dr. Hacuk wants to give this bird a chance. He feels the bird has sufficient remaining strength and body resources to survive if the medication will work as intended.

Dr. Hauck said that the Spartrix I gave this morning takes 2 to 3 days to show any sufficant signs of improvement. If the bird survives the next three days, but has continued to go downhill, I am instructed to bring the bird back to be euthanized. Very sad Very sad Very sad

The following is Dr. Hauck's treatment plan to give this bird the best chance of survival.

I am to administer Flagyl aggressively.........30mg BID

I am to administer 0.3 cc Nystatin TID

I am to feed max 10cc per feeding...... very liquid Kaytee prepared with papaya juice (not water). Papaya juice has a greater acidic value than applesauce. Prior to each feeding I am to extract any fluid by massaging the crop. The objective here is to prevent sour crop from forming while waiting for the obstruction to clear allowing foods to pass.

I need all the positve, thoughts, prayers and energy all my fellow Pigeon angel can muster. I can not bear the thought of loosing another bird to this dreadful disease. Very sad

Louise
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

ANOTHER NEW RESCUE Empty
PostSubject: Re: ANOTHER NEW RESCUE   ANOTHER NEW RESCUE Icon_minitimeWed Aug 18, 2010 6:21 pm

I didn't know that about papaya juice and that's some good information.

My experience is that the metronidazole does work much quicker than spartrix.

Prayers and Fingers crossed
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

ANOTHER NEW RESCUE Empty
PostSubject: Re: ANOTHER NEW RESCUE   ANOTHER NEW RESCUE Icon_minitimeWed Aug 18, 2010 6:35 pm

I wish the best for you and your little rescue, Louise.
You can better believe I will think, and send your way, all the positive thoughts I can muster. Universal hug

Bless you both. Pigeon angel ANOTHER NEW RESCUE 983488 Pigeon angel

Back to top Go down
http://www.pigeonangels.com
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

ANOTHER NEW RESCUE Empty
PostSubject: Re: ANOTHER NEW RESCUE   ANOTHER NEW RESCUE Icon_minitimeWed Aug 18, 2010 6:47 pm

Louise... I can understand your pain and frustration, even as I'm watching Arislan sliding downhill in just the same way. He's not critical yet, but the signs are there.
I cannot thank you enough for all the advice from Dr. Hauck that you posted to help the rest of us help our rescues. So much there I didn't know, like the aggressive dosage for birds in grave risk. I'm going to follow his advice for Arislan, halving the amounts because of his age and weight. If he makes it, it will be mostly thanks to you.

I wish with all my heart that your little one will see this through and win the battle for life. My thoughts and prayers are with you both.

ANOTHER NEW RESCUE DoveAngelHaloFrame
Back to top Go down
EgypSwiftLady
Special Pigeon Angel
EgypSwiftLady

ANOTHER NEW RESCUE Empty
PostSubject: Re: ANOTHER NEW RESCUE   ANOTHER NEW RESCUE Icon_minitimeWed Aug 18, 2010 7:05 pm

Louise thank you for all the important information that the good Dr. Hauck gave you, I for one can never learn too much.

I also will sending healing prayers to this poor pigeon, may the angel of light help this pij fight this terrible disease! Pigeon angel
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

ANOTHER NEW RESCUE Empty
PostSubject: Re: ANOTHER NEW RESCUE   ANOTHER NEW RESCUE Icon_minitimeThu Aug 19, 2010 5:42 am

Group hug
Back to top Go down
priya
Special Pigeon Angel
priya

ANOTHER NEW RESCUE Empty
PostSubject: Re: ANOTHER NEW RESCUE   ANOTHER NEW RESCUE Icon_minitimeThu Aug 19, 2010 8:04 am

Sending healing wishes and a speedy recover to the poor baby Very sad she is undergoing a lot. Thanks Louise for posting the treatment details.
Teresa, will have your baby too in my prayers. Hope both the birds see it through this dreaded disease
Back to top Go down
Jackie\'s Mom
Special Pigeon Angel
Jackie\'s Mom

ANOTHER NEW RESCUE Empty
PostSubject: Re: ANOTHER NEW RESCUE   ANOTHER NEW RESCUE Icon_minitimeThu Aug 19, 2010 8:19 am

I extracted more fluid from her crop last night before going to bed.

Upon waking this morning I noticed that she have vomited 2 times during the night. Disappointed She did pass 2 very small poops (the size of peas) during the night. There was no residual fluid in the crop this morning...........I assume because she vomited everything.

She does not seem any weaker, about the same. Not feeling well

I am very worried. ANOTHER NEW RESCUE 395766 Between extracting fluid and now her vomiting I don't know if her system is even absorbing any of the meds. Question Hmmm

I am going to just give her the papaya juice without any Kaytee this moring. I want to see if she can keep her meds down.

Will update later.

Louise
Back to top Go down
EgypSwiftLady
Special Pigeon Angel
EgypSwiftLady

ANOTHER NEW RESCUE Empty
PostSubject: Re: ANOTHER NEW RESCUE   ANOTHER NEW RESCUE Icon_minitimeThu Aug 19, 2010 8:23 am

Very sad Poor pijjie Disappointed Still sending healing vibes & prayers your way Fingers crossed Fingers crossed
Back to top Go down
priya
Special Pigeon Angel
priya

ANOTHER NEW RESCUE Empty
PostSubject: Re: ANOTHER NEW RESCUE   ANOTHER NEW RESCUE Icon_minitimeThu Aug 19, 2010 8:25 am

Disappointed praying for her speedy recovery ANOTHER NEW RESCUE 983488 Universal hug
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

ANOTHER NEW RESCUE Empty
PostSubject: Re: ANOTHER NEW RESCUE   ANOTHER NEW RESCUE Icon_minitimeThu Aug 19, 2010 10:03 am

Louise...I really think she has a good chance. It's good that she's strong because she can go a few days without food as long as she can keep the juice down.
If need be, you can give her smaller amounts of juice, gradually increasing the amount with each feeding.
Back to top Go down
Jackie\'s Mom
Special Pigeon Angel
Jackie\'s Mom

ANOTHER NEW RESCUE Empty
PostSubject: Re: ANOTHER NEW RESCUE   ANOTHER NEW RESCUE Icon_minitimeThu Aug 19, 2010 10:42 am

She is soooooooo thirsty.

I gave her the morning meds and she couldn't wait to get to the papaya juice. She drank her juice on her own from a little cup. I actually had to take it away from her, I didn't want her to overload her crop with fluid.

Will wait till lunch time to give 2nd dose of Nystatin and see if she has absorbed any of the juice.

I really hope she is getting the medications into her system. Fingers crossed

Louise
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

ANOTHER NEW RESCUE Empty
PostSubject: Re: ANOTHER NEW RESCUE   ANOTHER NEW RESCUE Icon_minitimeThu Aug 19, 2010 11:03 am

I hope she is absorbing the meds too. Fingers crossed The next 24 hours will be tellng, I suspect.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

ANOTHER NEW RESCUE Empty
PostSubject: Re: ANOTHER NEW RESCUE   ANOTHER NEW RESCUE Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

ANOTHER NEW RESCUE
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next