Pigeon Angels
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pigeon Angels

RegisterSearchLatest imagesHomeLog in
At this time Pigeon Angels forum is in an archive status. For assistance please log into Pigeon Angels Facebook by clicking the following link. Thank You https://www.facebook.com/groups/176239232007/?hc_location=stream

I don't know what's wrong with her.

Go down 
+2
Matilda
Luna Wolf
6 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Luna Wolf
Special Pigeon Angel
Luna Wolf

I don't know what's wrong with her. Empty
PostSubject: I don't know what's wrong with her.   I don't know what's wrong with her. Icon_minitimeMon Oct 04, 2010 12:41 pm

Yesterday one of my fantails died. No signs of illness or injury, just out of the blue. I thought maybe he flew into a wall or something, I don't know. But today when I went out to feed them my other fantail was acting really odd. She tried to fly down to their food platform, but she missed and flew into the floor. Then she tried walking over and she was really wobbly and drooping her wings.
I brought her into the house and it's scaring me how tame she's being. She's never let me touch her before and now she wouldn't get out of my hand. I got her to walk around a little and she was really wobbly and looked dizzy, she kept looking all around. She's not very interested in food or water.
My mom thinks maybe there's something in the food, the feed store stopped selling bulk seed and we've been having to buy the bagged stuff. But all of the others seem fine.
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: I don't know what's wrong with her.   I don't know what's wrong with her. Icon_minitimeMon Oct 04, 2010 12:55 pm

Thee could be something in the food but more likely it's salmonella. Have you noticed mice in the aviary? it's really difficult to keep them out.
Please bring the bird inside that is acting dizzy so you can monitor her and see how her poop looks and smells. What medications do you have available?

Last edited by Matilda on Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: I don't know what's wrong with her.   I don't know what's wrong with her. Icon_minitimeMon Oct 04, 2010 1:14 pm

I'm sorry...I just noticed you said you did bring her into the house.
Back to top Go down
Luna Wolf
Special Pigeon Angel
Luna Wolf

PostSubject: Re: I don't know what's wrong with her.   I don't know what's wrong with her. Icon_minitimeMon Oct 04, 2010 1:30 pm

I haven't see any mice but I've seen some chipmunks in there. I keep blocking off their holes but they just dig new ones.

Right now I have tetracycline and bacitracin, have a tiny bit of sulfatrim and some metranidazole. Also have a little bit of oreganol. (There's some pretty old baytril in the fridge too.) I can go out and get some other kinds too if none of those will work.

Her poop is mostly water, with some small brown bits. She's been going too frequently I think.
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: I don't know what's wrong with her.   I don't know what's wrong with her. Icon_minitimeMon Oct 04, 2010 2:25 pm

I don't think you have anything that will work to treat salmonella and while there is no way of knowing if that's what is going on with her, baring doing a gram stain, I am very suspicious that it is.

I hope you have a farm stor near by. If so...this product should work to treat her.

SaraFlox (Sarafloxacin hydrochloride): Similar to Baytril, it is available as a water-soluble powder marketed for poultry. Available in 5.1 oz (15 gm) packets.

Another product that will work is Albon. The farm store may have that too.

Baytril can be purchased on line but it would take several days to get it to you. I'll go find the links anyway.

Any other birds acting off?
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: I don't know what's wrong with her.   I don't know what's wrong with her. Icon_minitimeMon Oct 04, 2010 2:28 pm

I think this is a must to have on hand. It will treat 10 pigeons individually.

http://www.globalpigeon.com/product_info.php?cPath=24_56&products_id=134

Enroxil...you can use this for individual treatment by giving 2 drops, one time a day. This is a generic version of baytril.

http://www.allbirdproducts.com/bird_medication.html
Back to top Go down
Luna Wolf
Special Pigeon Angel
Luna Wolf

PostSubject: Re: I don't know what's wrong with her.   I don't know what's wrong with her. Icon_minitimeMon Oct 04, 2010 3:40 pm

I checked the feed store, they didn't have either of those. I'll have to check the other one tomorrow.
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: I don't know what's wrong with her.   I don't know what's wrong with her. Icon_minitimeMon Oct 04, 2010 3:47 pm

You must get on this right away. If possible, have your mom order one of those medicines, on line, tonight.
Also...you need to start hand feeding the bird that is showing symptoms. I would hand feed baby applesauce and defrosted peas. Keep her warm too. Put her on a heating pad set on low.
Have you noticed if her poop is smelly?
Back to top Go down
Luna Wolf
Special Pigeon Angel
Luna Wolf

PostSubject: Re: I don't know what's wrong with her.   I don't know what's wrong with her. Icon_minitimeMon Oct 04, 2010 3:58 pm

I don't have baby applesauce, but I have applesauce with no sugar added. Is that ok? I don't have a heating pad but I can pick up some of those hand warmers. Her poop is smelly, but not horribly so. I'll get the medications online. I haven't noticed the other birds acting off, but I'll keep an eye on them. How contagious is it? Is it airborne at all?
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: I don't know what's wrong with her.   I don't know what's wrong with her. Icon_minitimeMon Oct 04, 2010 4:10 pm

From Winged Wisdom Web page...

Birds can become infected with salmonella by oral ingestion of contaminated food, water and through the egg - either by ventical transmisson or by penetration of the egg shell. Poultry and pigeons may carry salmonella yet appear healthy. Infected birds will be lethargic, lose their appetite, have watery droppings and may develop arthritis.

Yes...you can give her the applesauce you have. Please warm it first. Do you have frozen peas?

Back to top Go down
Luna Wolf
Special Pigeon Angel
Luna Wolf

PostSubject: Re: I don't know what's wrong with her.   I don't know what's wrong with her. Icon_minitimeMon Oct 04, 2010 4:14 pm

I have frozen peas.
I think maybe it's the chipmunks that gave it to her. I think I can seal off the holes they're using to get in.
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: I don't know what's wrong with her.   I don't know what's wrong with her. Icon_minitimeMon Oct 04, 2010 4:21 pm

Feed the warmed applesauce first and see how it stays down. If it does...feed her peas the next feeding. Try to get 30 into her.
Back to top Go down
Luna Wolf
Special Pigeon Angel
Luna Wolf

PostSubject: Re: I don't know what's wrong with her.   I don't know what's wrong with her. Icon_minitimeMon Oct 04, 2010 4:33 pm

I had to toss the applesauce. Looks like it was expired. I'm going to get some after I have dinner.
How do you feed them the applesauce, with a syringe?
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: I don't know what's wrong with her.   I don't know what's wrong with her. Icon_minitimeMon Oct 04, 2010 4:39 pm

Yes...with a syringe. Start with 10cc's and see how she tolerates it. If you are going to the store...pick up some powdered rice cereal for human babies too.
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: I don't know what's wrong with her.   I don't know what's wrong with her. Icon_minitimeMon Oct 04, 2010 5:08 pm

It wouldn't be a bad idea to treat the bird with metronidazole as well, because often another disease can bring on an episode of canker.
Last time I ordered form the first link I gave you, it took 5 days to get the medicine. I'm hoping because you are closer, it won't take as long.
Back to top Go down
Luna Wolf
Special Pigeon Angel
Luna Wolf

PostSubject: Re: I don't know what's wrong with her.   I don't know what's wrong with her. Icon_minitimeMon Oct 04, 2010 6:37 pm

When do I start feeding the cereal? Also, just to be clear, is a cc the same as a ml? Because that seemed like an awful lot of food.
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: I don't know what's wrong with her.   I don't know what's wrong with her. Icon_minitimeMon Oct 04, 2010 7:03 pm

Yes, they are the same.
If she keeps the applesauce down, you can mix a couple of teaspoons with it for the next feeding. Remember to wait until the crop is empty before feeding her again.
Was your mom able to order the medicine on line?
Back to top Go down
Luna Wolf
Special Pigeon Angel
Luna Wolf

PostSubject: Re: I don't know what's wrong with her.   I don't know what's wrong with her. Icon_minitimeMon Oct 04, 2010 7:05 pm

Ok.
Yes. We ordered the enroxil from the second link.
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: I don't know what's wrong with her.   I don't know what's wrong with her. Icon_minitimeMon Oct 04, 2010 7:07 pm

Good. Let us know when it arrives.
You will give her 2 drops once a day, rather than put it in her water.
Back to top Go down
Luna Wolf
Special Pigeon Angel
Luna Wolf

PostSubject: Re: I don't know what's wrong with her.   I don't know what's wrong with her. Icon_minitimeTue Oct 05, 2010 9:46 am

She seems the same this morning. She kept all the food down.
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: I don't know what's wrong with her.   I don't know what's wrong with her. Icon_minitimeTue Oct 05, 2010 10:07 am

That's good she kept the food down. I hope that keeping food in her, will give her some strength and keep her going until the medicine arrives.
Is she pooping ok?
Did you start her on the metronidazole? Always give the metronidazole on a crop that has food in it as the metronidazole can make the bird vomit.
Back to top Go down
Luna Wolf
Special Pigeon Angel
Luna Wolf

PostSubject: Re: I don't know what's wrong with her.   I don't know what's wrong with her. Icon_minitimeTue Oct 05, 2010 12:00 pm

Yes, she's been pooping fine. I've started her on the metronidazole.
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: I don't know what's wrong with her.   I don't know what's wrong with her. Icon_minitimeTue Oct 05, 2010 12:01 pm

Good. Keep us posted.
Back to top Go down
Luna Wolf
Special Pigeon Angel
Luna Wolf

PostSubject: Re: I don't know what's wrong with her.   I don't know what's wrong with her. Icon_minitimeTue Oct 05, 2010 12:51 pm

OMG, I just went to feed the pigeons and realized the fantails had a baby in their nest! She is soo hungry. Very sad Her mom didn't want to feed her. I think I have some formula though.
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: I don't know what's wrong with her.   I don't know what's wrong with her. Icon_minitimeTue Oct 05, 2010 4:30 pm

Are these the same pair one of which dies and the other is ill? If so...the baby will need to be treated too.
How old is the baby?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I don't know what's wrong with her.   I don't know what's wrong with her. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

I don't know what's wrong with her.
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next