Pigeon Angels
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pigeon Angels

RegisterSearchLatest imagesHomeLog in
At this time Pigeon Angels forum is in an archive status. For assistance please log into Pigeon Angels Facebook by clicking the following link. Thank You https://www.facebook.com/groups/176239232007/?hc_location=stream

Need Help With A Little Wood Pigeon :)

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
LaurenBuzz

LaurenBuzz

Need Help With A Little Wood Pigeon :) Empty
PostSubject: Need Help With A Little Wood Pigeon :)   Need Help With A Little Wood Pigeon :) Icon_minitimeSat Oct 09, 2010 12:55 pm

Hello! Smile

I am new to this forum.. my name is Lauren and i work at the Bird Show at Flamingo Land in North Yorkshire.. a young woodie was on the ground so i decided to hand rear him as i work with birds and love them dearly i couldn't see this little fella die :(

Its been over a week now and he is doing really well i have decided to name him Pidge and think he's around 21 days old but not too sure as i don't know alot about pigeons.

Just a few questions.. today Pidge started to eat seed yey Need Help With A Little Wood Pigeon :) 116281 so now he refuse chick crumb soaked in water which i was feeding him in a syringe, do i need to force feed him the chick crumb as well as seed or will he be alright just eating seed from now on.

He has water available all the time, and if he still needs chick crumb can i feed it to him when he still has seed in his crop?? and if not how long does the crop take to empty completely??

He has seed in a little bowl if i leave it in with him will he know when to stop eating when he is full or do i need to keep removing the bowl of seed every once in a while.

Sorry for all of these questions but i am new at this.. i care for the little guy and don't want anything to go wrong also i apologise if this question has been asked before :)

Thanks Fingers crossed
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: Need Help With A Little Wood Pigeon :)   Need Help With A Little Wood Pigeon :) Icon_minitimeSat Oct 09, 2010 1:25 pm

LaurenBuzz wrote:
Hello! Smile

I am new to this forum.. my name is Lauren and i work at the Bird Show at Flamingo Land in North Yorkshire.. a young woodie was on the ground so i decided to hand rear him as i work with birds and love them dearly i couldn't see this little fella die :(

Welcome Welcome

Birds are amazing creatures for sure.

Its been over a week now and he is doing really well i have decided to name him Pidge and think he's around 21 days old but not too sure as i don't know alot about pigeons.

Just a few questions.. today Pidge started to eat seed yey Need Help With A Little Wood Pigeon :) 116281 so now he refuse chick crumb soaked in water which i was feeding him in a syringe, do i need to force feed him the chick crumb as well as seed or will he be alright just eating seed from now on.

You will need to monitor him closely to make sure he is eating enough on his own. If he is, you will not need to force feed him. His crop is located at the bottom of the throat and a top the keel bone, which is in the center of the bird. When it has food it is, it feels lumpy. Look for a dove mix at the pet store. To it you can add lentils, safflower seed and small pop corn.

He has water available all the time, and if he still needs chick crumb can i feed it to him when he still has seed in his crop?? and if not how long does the crop take to empty completely??

No need to feed him if he is eating. It depends upon how much he has eaten for the crop to empty. Most often, pigeons eat in the morning and late afternoon.

He has seed in a little bowl if i leave it in with him will he know when to stop eating when he is full or do i need to keep removing the bowl of seed every once in a while.

Occasionally, when they are just leaning to eat on thier own, pigeons will over eat. The advise would be to only give him a couple of tablespoons at a time until you know that he knows when to stop eating.

Sorry for all of these questions but i am new at this.. i care for the little guy and don't want anything to go wrong also i apologise if this question has been asked before :)

No problem. We love questions.
Thanks Fingers crossed
Back to top Go down
LaurenBuzz

LaurenBuzz

PostSubject: Re: Need Help With A Little Wood Pigeon :)   Need Help With A Little Wood Pigeon :) Icon_minitimeSat Oct 09, 2010 1:40 pm

Hey Matilda! and thankyou so much that is great advice! definitely what i needed to hear Smile

Lauren
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: Need Help With A Little Wood Pigeon :)   Need Help With A Little Wood Pigeon :) Icon_minitimeSat Oct 09, 2010 2:05 pm

Need Help With A Little Wood Pigeon :) 142829
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: Need Help With A Little Wood Pigeon :)   Need Help With A Little Wood Pigeon :) Icon_minitimeSat Oct 09, 2010 2:07 pm

That is a very cute picture of you two, Lauren. Need Help With A Little Wood Pigeon :) 983488
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Need Help With A Little Wood Pigeon :)   Need Help With A Little Wood Pigeon :) Icon_minitimeSat Oct 09, 2010 9:05 pm

Welcome to Pigeon Angels, Lauren. Hi there/Bye
It's great to have you hear.

It sounds like your little Woodie is doing just fine. Need Help With A Little Wood Pigeon :) 142829
Please keep us posted on how things are coming along.

Your avatar is adorable. I love it/them
Back to top Go down
http://www.pigeonangels.com
LaurenBuzz

LaurenBuzz

PostSubject: Re: Need Help With A Little Wood Pigeon :)   Need Help With A Little Wood Pigeon :) Icon_minitimeSun Oct 10, 2010 3:58 am

Hello! and thankyou for being so kind..

hehe Need Help With A Little Wood Pigeon :) 789920

that picture was taken in our bird show arena lol he loves sitting on that perch!

yep he is doing fine today although flying all over the house now he definitely doesn't struggle with that.

do you know when i need to start giving him grit or is he fine without it?

Lauren Need Help With A Little Wood Pigeon :) 23878
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Need Help With A Little Wood Pigeon :)   Need Help With A Little Wood Pigeon :) Icon_minitimeSun Oct 10, 2010 7:47 am

When they begin to eat on their own, they should have grit available, in a separate dish. They don't usually pick at it on a regular basis, but it should be available to them at all times.
Back to top Go down
http://www.pigeonangels.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Need Help With A Little Wood Pigeon :)   Need Help With A Little Wood Pigeon :) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Need Help With A Little Wood Pigeon :)
Page 1 of 1