Pigeon Angels
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pigeon Angels

RegisterSearchLatest imagesHomeLog in
At this time Pigeon Angels forum is in an archive status. For assistance please log into Pigeon Angels Facebook by clicking the following link. Thank You https://www.facebook.com/groups/176239232007/?hc_location=stream

Rescued Wood Pigeon

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
xxktlou02xx

Rescued Wood Pigeon Empty
PostSubject: Rescued Wood Pigeon   Rescued Wood Pigeon Icon_minitimeTue Oct 18, 2011 5:18 am

Hi there,

My mum rescued a pigeon the other day whilst on holiday. It was flapping about in the field and she couldn't leave it so she got it and put it in the boot of the car to protect it. There was blood running from the side of its head near it's eye and a few other places. She didn't expect it to live but couldn't leave it flapping in the field! So it's now at home with us in a disused guinea pig hutch. We have given him some water in a dish and some corn from the man across the road who keeps pigeons. He came over and said that he had been attacked by a hawk and was a gonner.

Nearly 72 hours later though, Funky, as we have named him, is still alive. He has not eaten or drank as far as we can tell and hasn't for 3 days now. Myself and my mum are going to get him out later and have a look, see of we can get him to eat anything and drink and have a look at his injuries. Mum says he has got a broken wing, at the top of his humerus/shoulder. How can we splint this for him? Can we help him drink with a syringe?

He's lost an awful lot of feathers and looks rather worse for ware but we really hope that Funky can pull through!

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Katie
Back to top Go down
pigeonwriter
Special Pigeon Angel
pigeonwriter

PostSubject: Re: Rescued Wood Pigeon   Rescued Wood Pigeon Icon_minitimeTue Oct 18, 2011 11:54 am

Katie, may I ask you how you can leave an obviously badly injured pigeon for 3 days unattended, without being able to drink and eat?
This is am emergency case for the vet!!!! Seeing red/mad
Back to top Go down
http://www.vyala-arts.com
xxktlou02xx

PostSubject: Re: Rescued Wood Pigeon   Rescued Wood Pigeon Icon_minitimeTue Oct 18, 2011 1:45 pm

Well I didn't come here to be attacked myself, I came to ask for advice, so theres no need for that thank you very much! Seeing red/mad Seeing red/mad Seeing red/mad The pigeon would have been dead if we had left him and we don't have funds for the vets, we are doing the best we can. I had seen the kindness in these fourms and thought I'd join the friendly community, so lets start again shall we!

The bird wasn't left without food or water, we did put some in with him in the hope that he would eat or drink himself and in the hope that we wouldn't stress him out further. However we have realised and have taken intervention, and we have syringed water into his mouth twice today and fed him peas into his mouth which he has taken well, we have also left some peas with him along with the pigeon feed we have been given in the hope to tempt him. We have also looked over his injuries and they are looking much better, infection isn't setting in and he seems much stronger in himself. He is also perfectly happy in the guinea pig hutch, taking himself into the bedroom area to sleep. We still need to do something about his wing so he can hopefully fly again. Can anybody please assist me with how to splint his wing. We are just abit cautious as one of his wounds is under the wing where it will be splinted. Also how much do pigeons drink? How long will it take for him to start eating/drinking himself?

Thanks

Katie
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: Rescued Wood Pigeon   Rescued Wood Pigeon Icon_minitimeTue Oct 18, 2011 4:44 pm

Katie...it's amazing the bird is still alive. We always recommend antibiotics whenever the skin has been broken. If this was a hawk attack or predator attack, antibiotic is critical.
Setting a wing is a complicated thing. I have been rehabbing pigeons for 25 years but I would not attempt it myself.
From your post, I'm assuming you are in the UK...yes?
Please look in the forum I'm including for a vet [ some may be pro bono] or wildlife facility near you that can help the bird. In addition to setting the wing, and antibiotics, the pigeon likely needs sub-Q fluids, supplemental heat and to be hand fed.
If there isn't anyone on the list near you, tell us your location and we will try to find someone that can help.

http://www.pigeonangels.com/f8-pigeon-resources
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Rescued Wood Pigeon   Rescued Wood Pigeon Icon_minitimeTue Oct 18, 2011 8:28 pm

Hi Katie,

First of all a big thank you to your mum for rescuing this pigeon. And from the terminology you used and the mention of syringing water and giving him peas, I gather you've done a fair amount of research since his arrival... But your first post was very alarming, as it gave the wrong impression he'd just been left for 3 days with no care.

I take it it's thawed frozen peas you're giving him. He should be getting at least 100 a day, split between 3 or 4 meals. As they retain a fair amount of water, you won't need to syringe a lot, but there's a good possibility that he may be dehydrated and need subcutaneous fluids. He should also be on antibiotics, but in the UK you need a vet's prescription to obtain them.
He will need a lot of care, especially if the wing is broken, and I fear that it's care you won't be able to give him. There are some really good sanctuaries in the UK, with very experienced people and all the meds and veterinary care he will need, so I hope you will consider that. The resources link that Matilda left you has detailed information, and it's organised by area.

'The man across the road who keeps pigeons' was a bit fast dismissing your rescue's chances of survival. I hope he's proved wrong. Please keep us posted.
Back to top Go down
xxktlou02xx

PostSubject: Re: Rescued Wood Pigeon   Rescued Wood Pigeon Icon_minitimeWed Oct 19, 2011 12:54 pm

Yes it is amazing he is still alive, we honestly thought he'd have died by now. He is doing very well, he seems he is building up strength and he is eating well when we hand feed him, which is 2/3 times a day. I have called somewhere this evening about sorting his wing and antibiotics and that is going to be sorted in the morning hopefully as it's too late here now. I have done an awful lot of research and I am having problems sleeping because I am so determined for him to pull through and recover as best as possible. Yes I am giving him thawed frozen peas, shelled and giving half the pea at a time so it's more manageable. He has been taking syringed fluids well too. I know about aspiration as I have a medical background so don't worry. Lets see what tomorrow brings, we are bringing him in later to feed so will see how hes doing then
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: Rescued Wood Pigeon   Rescued Wood Pigeon Icon_minitimeWed Oct 19, 2011 5:56 pm

Really Katie...it's not necessary to shell the peas, in fact the shell, from the pea, is good for him. Also, the whole pea has more liquid, which the pigeon needs.
I'm glad you are doing what you can to pull him through. I honestly believe,you will be rewarded ten fold with good karma for all you do for him.
Back to top Go down
pigeonwriter
Special Pigeon Angel
pigeonwriter

PostSubject: Re: Rescued Wood Pigeon   Rescued Wood Pigeon Icon_minitimeThu Oct 20, 2011 11:19 am

Katie, I am very sorry what I said but if you read your first post again it was completely misleading. I am so fed up with people who just ignore sick creatures to let them die somewhere and who f.e. first buy pets and when they realize it's work and that a pet can become sick and cost money it is simply dismissed.

I am glad that the bird is still alive. I am worried though about the condition of his wing as you said it is broken. And as I know this has to fixed urgently before the bones start to mend in the wrong place I am concerned what you are going to do about it.

Sending best wishes for your bird.
Back to top Go down
http://www.vyala-arts.com
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Rescued Wood Pigeon   Rescued Wood Pigeon Icon_minitimeSat Oct 22, 2011 8:25 pm

Hi Katie,

How is your patient doing? I hope he's improving well, and that you managed to get someone to look at his wing and get you some antibiotics. Please keep us posted. Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rescued Wood Pigeon   Rescued Wood Pigeon Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Rescued Wood Pigeon
Page 1 of 1