Pigeon Angels
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pigeon Angels

RegisterSearchLatest imagesHomeLog in
At this time Pigeon Angels forum is in an archive status. For assistance please log into Pigeon Angels Facebook by clicking the following link. Thank You https://www.facebook.com/groups/176239232007/?hc_location=stream

It's string injury season again

Go down 
+4
EgypSwiftLady
AZWhitefeather
Matilda
Teresa
8 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

It's string injury season again Empty
PostSubject: It's string injury season again   It's string injury season again Icon_minitimeMon Jan 17, 2011 8:04 pm

The weather is very mild here at the moment, well into the sixties, and I think the pigeons are starting to nest earlier.

Today I saw 4 string injuries on the pedestrian precinct, close to my house. One was an old injury, the others very recent, not tight yet. I got some food but didn't manage to catch any of them. Out in the street they are extremely distrustful.
But the good news is that one of the birds in the group was Penca, who comes to eat on my roof every day, so I hope the others can be attracted here too. With several members of the flock willing to eat out of my hand, newcomers usually come close enough to be caught.

I'll keep you posted.
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: It's string injury season again   It's string injury season again Icon_minitimeMon Jan 17, 2011 8:17 pm

Good luck. I'll be hoping you catch them soon.
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: It's string injury season again   It's string injury season again Icon_minitimeMon Jan 17, 2011 11:21 pm

I'm sorry to hear about the string injuries, Teresa. Very sad
It's interesting how in some areas there are so many and in other areas not so many.
It seems like the UK has their fair share. And even you have quite a few.

Thankfully, I personally have never come across any. I've helped remove string from a few, but they have been brought to me.

Sending positive thoughts that you are able to catch those that need attention. Fingers crossed
Back to top Go down
http://www.pigeonangels.com
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: It's string injury season again   It's string injury season again Icon_minitimeTue Jan 18, 2011 10:31 pm

I think pigeons in densely populated areas, like town centres, are more at risk of string injuries, because there's so much garbage lying around.

I haven't managed to attract them over yet. Penca comes here at a time when, during the week, I'm working. So all I have is a couple of minutes to throw them some seed.
If the birds are in the area at lunchtime, I'll have a go. If not it'll probably have to wait until Saturday. Disappointed I hope not.
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: It's string injury season again   It's string injury season again Icon_minitimeTue Jan 18, 2011 11:07 pm

Teresa wrote:

I think pigeons in densely populated areas, like town centres, are more at risk of string injuries, because there's so much garbage lying around.

I haven't managed to attract them over yet. Penca comes here at a time when, during the week, I'm working. So all I have is a couple of minutes to throw them some seed.
If the birds are in the area at lunchtime, I'll have a go. If not it'll probably have to wait until Saturday. Disappointed I hope not.

That would certainly make sense. It's string injury season again 395766

Back to top Go down
EgypSwiftLady
Special Pigeon Angel
EgypSwiftLady

PostSubject: Re: It's string injury season again   It's string injury season again Icon_minitimeWed Jan 19, 2011 11:40 am

Oh Teresa sounds like soon you may have your hands full caring for these poor pijjies. Very sad

I hope you can get them to come to you. It's string injury season again 395766
Back to top Go down
http://www.ironwolffarmsanctuary.com
pigeonwriter
Special Pigeon Angel
pigeonwriter

PostSubject: Re: It's string injury season again   It's string injury season again Icon_minitimeWed Jan 19, 2011 12:53 pm

Oh my Teresa - not again! I really hope that you can mange to get them all.
From time to time I am still worried about Rudi's feet. Today I gave him a treatment again because he was a bit limping again. He's running around so much that he hardly gives his poor feet a pause. Silly boy Oh brother
Back to top Go down
http://www.vyala-arts.com
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: It's string injury season again   It's string injury season again Icon_minitimeFri Jan 21, 2011 12:57 am

The pigeon with the old injury followed Penca into my back garden, but he was very wary and I didn't manage to catch him. Disappointed I'll just have to keep trying.
I haven't seen the others since, but I did hear about another two people who often free pigeons from string, so I'm hopeful.
Back to top Go down
EgypSwiftLady
Special Pigeon Angel
EgypSwiftLady

PostSubject: Re: It's string injury season again   It's string injury season again Icon_minitimeFri Jan 21, 2011 11:49 am

Teresa wrote:

I haven't seen the others since, but I did hear about another two people who often free pigeons from string, so I'm hopeful.

Its great to hear that others in your city are also helping these poor pijjies. It's string injury season again 142829
Back to top Go down
http://www.ironwolffarmsanctuary.com
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: It's string injury season again   It's string injury season again Icon_minitimeFri Jan 21, 2011 12:06 pm

pigeonwriter wrote:
From time to time I am still worried about Rudi's feet. Today I gave him a treatment again because he was a bit limping again. He's running around so much that he hardly gives his poor feet a pause. Silly boy Oh brother

Have you looked at the bottom of his foot for any pus? I'm wondering if he has developed a bit of bumble foot.
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: It's string injury season again   It's string injury season again Icon_minitimeFri Jan 21, 2011 7:38 pm

Matilda wrote:
pigeonwriter wrote:

Have you looked at the bottom of his foot for any pus? I'm wondering if he has developed a bit of bumble foot.

Charis, could you please tell us a little more about bumble foot? Is it the callous-like formation that may incorporate some poop? I've seen Merlin lifting one of his feet uneasily so that seems very pertinent.
Back to top Go down
pigeonwriter
Special Pigeon Angel
pigeonwriter

PostSubject: Re: It's string injury season again   It's string injury season again Icon_minitimeSat Jan 22, 2011 5:23 am

No - the soles of his feet are both okay - soft and colorwise completely okay. I am only worried a bit about the top of his left foot where there are still some callous-like formations on both sides of the little gap where originally the thread was. It is like a cut that never closes. But he can move this toe and bend it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.vyala-arts.com
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: It's string injury season again   It's string injury season again Icon_minitimeSat Jan 29, 2011 7:23 pm

GOT HIM! YESS!!

It was hard blooming work, as I've been trying every day for days ... so I think I'll call him Houdini!

I haven't tackled the string yet though (it's EVIL, poor bird!) because I've had an awful migraine for hours and my eyes aren't focusing properly. I can't risk injuring him.
He's in the hospital cage in the warmth and I started him on Baytril as the feet look infected. In the morning I'll give him Flagyl and will try to tackle the string in daylight.

The other birds with tangled string but no injuries I haven't seen since.

Oh, by the way, Geraldo (ex-string injury) says hello! He actually ate a little from my hand today. He's a very forgiving bird... Happy
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: It's string injury season again   It's string injury season again Icon_minitimeSat Jan 29, 2011 9:54 pm

Teresa wrote:
GOT HIM! YESS!!

It was hard blooming work, as I've been trying every day for days ... so I think I'll call him Houdini!

I haven't tackled the string yet though (it's EVIL, poor bird!) because I've had an awful migraine for hours and my eyes aren't focusing properly. I can't risk injuring him.
He's in the hospital cage in the warmth and I started him on Baytril as the feet look infected. In the morning I'll give him Flagyl and will try to tackle the string in daylight.

The other birds with tangled string but no injuries I haven't seen since.

Oh, by the way, Geraldo (ex-string injury) says hello! He actually ate a little from my hand today. He's a very forgiving bird... Happy

Way To Go Teresa.
Houdini, you are in great hands. Pigeon angel

I'm so sorry to hear about your migraine. They can be brutal, I know. Very sad
I hope you get to feeling much better soon.
It's string injury season again Flower10

Hi Geraldo. Hi there/Bye

Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: It's string injury season again   It's string injury season again Icon_minitimeSun Jan 30, 2011 6:42 pm

Thank you, Cindy, such lovely flowers! I feel better already! Happy

I spent all morning looking after Houdini.
One foot was string-bound with one toe infected, so I started there. The circulation is good and I hope all the toes will heal now.
The other foot had no string, and I wondered why he favoured it and stood on the infected foot. Someone had obviously removed string from it and maybe he escaped before the job was done, or maybe the rescuer knew no better. All the callous tissue was there, where the string had been, pressing on the toes. On one toe and the pad of his foot there were two large corns with dark red tissue around them, indicating that one wrong move would result in a serious bleed.
That will take a while to deal with. I just soaked the foot, removed the string callouses and took off as much of the corns as possible. There was no bleeding, and Houdini has been looking more comfortable since then. Poor thing, he must have been in a lot of pain. I think I'll keep him on one drop of Metacam a day for the next few days in addition to the Baytril and the Flagyl.
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: It's string injury season again   It's string injury season again Icon_minitimeSun Jan 30, 2011 11:26 pm

Teresa wrote:
Thank you, Cindy, such lovely flowers! I feel better already! Happy

I spent all morning looking after Houdini.
One foot was string-bound with one toe infected, so I started there. The circulation is good and I hope all the toes will heal now.
The other foot had no string, and I wondered why he favoured it and stood on the infected foot. Someone had obviously removed string from it and maybe he escaped before the job was done, or maybe the rescuer knew no better. All the callous tissue was there, where the string had been, pressing on the toes. On one toe and the pad of his foot there were two large corns with dark red tissue around them, indicating that one wrong move would result in a serious bleed.
That will take a while to deal with. I just soaked the foot, removed the string callouses and took off as much of the corns as possible. There was no bleeding, and Houdini has been looking more comfortable since then. Poor thing, he must have been in a lot of pain. I think I'll keep him on one drop of Metacam a day for the next few days in addition to the Baytril and the Flagyl.

Thrilled

Thanks for the update on Houdini. I'm so glad he seems to be feeling better. Great job
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: It's string injury season again   It's string injury season again Icon_minitimeMon Jan 31, 2011 7:24 pm

Another one!

Got another string injury today. Word must be getting round that this is the place to come, because she just landed on my windowsill, beside Gallahad. My heart sank when I saw her feet.
I got some food and of course confident Gallahad started eating off my hand. She followed him and got up close and I grabbed her.

Her injuries are very severe and weeks old, and she's very, very thin. She's not a local, must have come further afield to find food. She's impatient to go and probably has a nest somewhere (all the ferals here have started nesting already), but she needs proper treatment if she's going to make it.

One of my students names her Speedy. Please send healing thoughts her way.
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: It's string injury season again   It's string injury season again Icon_minitimeMon Jan 31, 2011 11:09 pm

Great catch, Teresa. Way To Go
Wishing 'Speedy' a very speedy recovery. Circle of Love
Back to top Go down
NiteOwl
Special Pigeon Angel
NiteOwl

PostSubject: Re: It's string injury season again   It's string injury season again Icon_minitimeTue Feb 01, 2011 1:02 pm

Yes. That was a great catch. Good luck with him.
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: It's string injury season again   It's string injury season again Icon_minitimeTue Feb 01, 2011 5:48 pm

How is Speedy doing, Teresa?
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: It's string injury season again   It's string injury season again Icon_minitimeWed Feb 02, 2011 8:12 pm

Houdini and Speedy are doing very well! cheers

Their appetite is good, poops too, but naturally their feet are very sore. They are both on Baytril, Flagyl and Metacam, and get a foot spa every day (luke warm water with betadine) and a gentle foot massage with antibiotic ointment.

Callous material that looked like it might bleed is being softened and removed very carefully, layer by layer, every other day.

Speedy isn't as nervous and fidgety any more, but Houdini still looks frightened when I approach him. Speedy was grooming her feathers a moment ago, but now she's settled down on her clean bedding and went to sleep.
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: It's string injury season again   It's string injury season again Icon_minitimeWed Feb 02, 2011 11:42 pm

Woo hoo Woo hoo
Glad to hear the duo are doing good. YESS!!
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: It's string injury season again   It's string injury season again Icon_minitimeThu Feb 03, 2011 6:22 pm

Got a peck from Houdini today! That's too funny That's got to be a good sign...
One of his feet is a lot less infected, but the tip of the middle toe is still curving under a little (but it's not broken). The other foot still has some callous material, but I'm just playing it safe as I can see there's blood supply going into it.

Speedy was the one on the treatment table today, having some more careful work done on her left foot. She has one toe missing on that foot, and I hope the others will be okay. But, like Houdini, the back toe and the foot pad had some nasty callouses (initially there was pus too, but that was successfully removed), the foot joint is swollen and two toes are still infected. There is also a small area with dried blood, but I'm not going to touch it until the skin around it is a better colour.
She must be feeling a lot more comfortable, because a couple of hours ago she started climbing up the front of the basket!!! It's string injury season again 279675 I had to wag a finger at her... Laughing
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: It's string injury season again   It's string injury season again Icon_minitimeThu Feb 03, 2011 7:03 pm

Loved your update, Teresa. Thanks
A big Universal hug to you, Houdini, Speedy and ALL your feathered and furry babies. Thrilled
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: It's string injury season again   It's string injury season again Icon_minitimeThu Feb 03, 2011 7:09 pm

Thank you, Cindy! Thank You

I'll forward your hug to all the ones that don't peck or bite, and wave at the others, is that alright? That's too funny
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: It's string injury season again   It's string injury season again Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

It's string injury season again
Page 1 of 5Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next