Pigeon Angels
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pigeon Angels

RegisterSearchLatest imagesHomeLog in
At this time Pigeon Angels forum is in an archive status. For assistance please log into Pigeon Angels Facebook by clicking the following link. Thank You https://www.facebook.com/groups/176239232007/?hc_location=stream

Rescued Pigeons swapping nests

Go down 
+6
NiteOwl
Jenaka
Capuccino
Matilda
AZWhitefeather
Cynthia
10 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

Rescued Pigeons swapping nests - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rescued Pigeons swapping nests   Rescued Pigeons swapping nests - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 15, 2009 12:25 pm

NiteOwl wrote:

What I meant, wasn't to uproot Mikko, Pij'ette and Sam. I meant that the two trouble makers might go to a new place if there was one. I know what you mean about not enough room. In my loft, there are so many large windows that it doesn't leave me a lot of wall space when I want to add something. Maybe there is another place that you just haven't thought ofto add a nest.

* The two trouble makers would probably fight over it I'm having a bit of trouble with Mica, as he likes to guard everything in the loft. He'll settle down eventually I'm sure. If one thing doesn't work, another will. I'm trying to figure it out. I'm hoping he will get better as he matures. If not, I'll just remove him from the loft for a while, let the others relax, and by the time I bring him back, he'll have lost his pecking order. I know something will work. I'm stronger and more stubborn than he is. LOL.
* As long as they leave Mikko, Pij'ette and Sam alone, they can squabble all they want. LOL
I wish Mikko would just slap the devil out of them, but he doesn't.

Here is a photo of the setup.
Malio has taken over Mikko's brick (looking in Pij'ette's basket), while Mikko watches him from the ground and Sam gets comfortable on the edge of the 'swimming pool'.

Rescued Pigeons swapping nests - Page 2 2009-027
Back to top Go down
http://www.pigeonangels.com
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Rescued Pigeons swapping nests   Rescued Pigeons swapping nests - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 15, 2009 12:28 pm

I love the nest in a bag. :That\\\'s so f
Back to top Go down
NiteOwl
Special Pigeon Angel
NiteOwl

PostSubject: Re: Rescued Pigeons swapping nests   Rescued Pigeons swapping nests - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 15, 2009 1:25 pm

Fancyfeathers wrote:
NiteOwl wrote:

What I meant, wasn't to uproot Mikko, Pij'ette and Sam. I meant that the two trouble makers might go to a new place if there was one. I know what you mean about not enough room. In my loft, there are so many large windows that it doesn't leave me a lot of wall space when I want to add something. Maybe there is another place that you just haven't thought ofto add a nest.

* The two trouble makers would probably fight over it I'm having a bit of trouble with Mica, as he likes to guard everything in the loft. He'll settle down eventually I'm sure. If one thing doesn't work, another will. I'm trying to figure it out. I'm hoping he will get better as he matures. If not, I'll just remove him from the loft for a while, let the others relax, and by the time I bring him back, he'll have lost his pecking order. I know something will work. I'm stronger and more stubborn than he is. LOL.
* As long as they leave Mikko, Pij'ette and Sam alone, they can squabble all they want. LOL
I wish Mikko would just slap the devil out of them, but he doesn't.

Here is a photo of the setup.
Malio has taken over Mikko's brick (looking in Pij'ette's basket), while Mikko watches him from the ground and Sam gets comfortable on the edge of the 'swimming pool'.

Rescued Pigeons swapping nests - Page 2 2009-027

Cindy, I can't tell from the picture, although it is an adorable set up. Is Malios area lower than Mikko's? If so, than that could be the problem. They always want the higher areas. If you raise it, so that it is the highest level, he might like it better. I could be wrong about who's is the higher perch though. Just an idea.
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: Rescued Pigeons swapping nests   Rescued Pigeons swapping nests - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 15, 2009 3:34 pm

That makes a lot of sense.
Back to top Go down
NiteOwl
Special Pigeon Angel
NiteOwl

PostSubject: Re: Rescued Pigeons swapping nests   Rescued Pigeons swapping nests - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 15, 2009 5:05 pm

There has to be some way of solving this, without eliminating anyone. Sometimes, we just have to figure it out. Although it does sometimes take a lot longer than it takes these guys to think up things to drive us crazy.LOL.
I'll never forget the time I tried to release Kane, way back when. Thank God he just refused to go. I didn't think there was any hope for him, and others agreed, but Charis was the one who told me not to give up on him. That I could change him from the Town Bully. It took a little time, but now he's a model citizen. I love him. Thanks Charis for not giving up on my brat, and encouraging me not to. But when I saw him sitting out there on the landing board where I had placed him, and all the others watching from the window to see what would happen, I realized how much I really cared about him. I think I forgot that for a while, as he was being so difficult. Here he is on the landing board, and the others watching him from inside. They were probably thinking "Good Ridance"! LOL.

Rescued Pigeons swapping nests - Page 2 006-1

Rescued Pigeons swapping nests - Page 2 010-3

Last edited by NiteOwl on Sat Aug 15, 2009 5:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: Rescued Pigeons swapping nests   Rescued Pigeons swapping nests - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 15, 2009 5:12 pm

Sometimes it takes someone else to see the situation clearly.
Back to top Go down
NiteOwl
Special Pigeon Angel
NiteOwl

PostSubject: Re: Rescued Pigeons swapping nests   Rescued Pigeons swapping nests - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 15, 2009 5:28 pm

Matilda wrote:
Sometimes it takes someone else to see the situation clearly.

You can say that again! Rescued Pigeons swapping nests - Page 2 106767
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Rescued Pigeons swapping nests   Rescued Pigeons swapping nests - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 15, 2009 5:39 pm

NiteOwl wrote:

Cindy, I can't tell from the picture, although it is an adorable set up.

Is Malios area lower than Mikko's? If so, than that could be the problem. They always want the higher areas. If you raise it, so that it is the highest level, he might like it better. I could be wrong about who's is the higher perch though. Just an idea.
No, they are all on the same level.
Mikko's area is directly across from Malio's and Malio is directly across from Dolly.
Back to top Go down
NiteOwl
Special Pigeon Angel
NiteOwl

PostSubject: Re: Rescued Pigeons swapping nests   Rescued Pigeons swapping nests - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 15, 2009 6:50 pm

Do you think it would help to raise Malios? Just an idea. The others may not like his being higher, but then again, they may not mind, and that may be all Malio needs to make him feel that he has accomplished something.He'll feel like the king of the patio. Although, I'm not entirely sure that his Kingship should be encouraged. Still................................it might work. Idea/thought
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Rescued Pigeons swapping nests   Rescued Pigeons swapping nests - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 15, 2009 7:32 pm

Raising Malio's perching area is certainly worth pondering.
One thing I failed to mention, which might shed some light on the subject, this 'bullying' with Malio didn't start until I moved the aviary outside on the patio.
When the aviary was in the AZ room, Malio would fly over to Mikko's area, do a bit of cooing and then fly back to his area.

It's all quite a mystery to me. I have NO idea
Back to top Go down
NiteOwl
Special Pigeon Angel
NiteOwl

PostSubject: Re: Rescued Pigeons swapping nests   Rescued Pigeons swapping nests - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 15, 2009 7:49 pm

All my birds act better while they're inside. Whether a rescue, or a squeaker, which I remove and bring inside when they are ready to leave the nest box. I keep them in here for a month or so, then slowly introduce them to the flock. No chance of them getting picked on before they're old enough to protect themselves that way. And as soon as I put them in the loft, or soon thereafter, they become whoever it is that they will become. I think it's something about putting them outside that makes them behave badly. Must be the wildness in the night air. LOL. Weird, isn't it? I don't know, maybe the breeze blows differently over there at Mikko's. Rescued Pigeons swapping nests - Page 2 106767

Do you think because you are not right there as much, that they think they can get away with it? Even the fact that he used to go over there and coo before leaving, shows that he was trying to bug them. Now maybe he thinks he can do it more as they are outside.

I'd like to lock him up for a while with my Mica for a roommate. That would probably straighten them both out. nutter
Back to top Go down
Cynthia

Cynthia

PostSubject: We have reached a compromise   Rescued Pigeons swapping nests - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 27, 2009 6:23 am

I noticed one day that nest #2 had been abandoned and that Ollie was sitting on fresh eggs in Nest#1.

Later in the day, Mini was in Nest #1. As I watched her, Ollie arrived and sat on the edge of the bowl next to her. Mini saw him and nodded her head (apparently this means aggreession followed by submission). Ollie mirrored the gesture, then Mini turned her back on him and flew off...Ollie stepped in to the nest to take over the incubating duties.

I haven't seen the preen each other, or mate, so I don't think Ollie is the "father" of the eggs. But they certainly seem to have reached a suitable arrangement about the eggs!
Back to top Go down
http://www.pigeon-aid.pigeon.net/
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Rescued Pigeons swapping nests   Rescued Pigeons swapping nests - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 27, 2009 6:52 am

It's great that Minni and Ollie seem to have become quite compatible with the situation. Rescued Pigeons swapping nests - Page 2 142829
Back to top Go down
pigeonwriter
Special Pigeon Angel
pigeonwriter

PostSubject: Re: Rescued Pigeons swapping nests   Rescued Pigeons swapping nests - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 27, 2009 9:04 am

Holy Sheep!! I just found this thread - don't know why I missed it before. These stories are really so funny and the pijjies have their own heads - haven't they? :That\\\'s so f :That\\\'s so f

Cindy, perhaps you can "solve the problem" by simply adding a few more potential nesting/playing objects such as empty flower pots hanging similar to the one I had the next for our babies hanging in the window:

Rescued Pigeons swapping nests - Page 2 0804x0003window1

I have realized that our pijjies love to sit on those empty "rocking cradles" and really rock heavily in them - just like parrots. I would never have thought that pijjies like that. The point is you could hang them everywhere just with a hook and some strong deco string. I have put a pottery saucer in them to make them heavier and added some hey - just a tiny handful - you could use your pine needles.
The pijjies just love to sit in them.
Idea/thought

Here are some more photos-

Rescued Pigeons swapping nests - Page 2 0523pigeons0035schlomerwin

Rescued Pigeons swapping nests - Page 2 0713xx0018angelo

Rescued Pigeons swapping nests - Page 2 0622x0006backlit

Sometimes - especially when the weather is bad we have about 10 pijjies on the balcony - each fighting for the best place in those pots... Heaven help me

Last edited by pigeonwriter on Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:12 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.vyala-arts.com
Cynthia

Cynthia

PostSubject: Re: Rescued Pigeons swapping nests   Rescued Pigeons swapping nests - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 27, 2009 9:07 am

I will also try a hanging basket.

Cynthia
Back to top Go down
http://www.pigeon-aid.pigeon.net/
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Rescued Pigeons swapping nests   Rescued Pigeons swapping nests - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 27, 2009 10:09 am

pigeonwriter wrote:

* These stories are really so funny and the pijjies have their own heads - haven't they? :That\\\'s so f :That\\\'s so f

** Cindy, perhaps you can "solve the problem" by simply adding a few more potential nesting/playing objects such as empty flower pots hanging similar to the one I had the next for our babies hanging in the window

* I used to be quite humored watching them.
Sadly, it's turned into a real problem. I just DON'T get it

** Yep! Did that. Dolly and Malio could care less about them. I have NO idea
Back to top Go down
NiteOwl
Special Pigeon Angel
NiteOwl

PostSubject: Re: Rescued Pigeons swapping nests   Rescued Pigeons swapping nests - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 27, 2009 12:55 pm

Those baskets are kinda cute. Wonder if mine would like them. Cindy, I'm sorry it didn't help with your birds. There has to be an answer. But what. I know how frustrating it can be. Mica is a real handful. I have him in time out often, but it doesn't seem to help. I could remove him for a while, but I'm hoping he'll get better when he gets a little older. If not, I'll have to figure something out. Amazing how one or two birds can cause total choas in a normally peace situation. I have NO idea
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Rescued Pigeons swapping nests   Rescued Pigeons swapping nests - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 27, 2009 10:02 pm

NiteOwl wrote:
Those baskets are kinda cute. Wonder if mine would like them.

Cindy, I'm sorry it didn't help with your birds. There has to be an answer. But what.

I know how frustrating it can be. Mica is a real handful. I have him in time out often, but it doesn't seem to help. I could remove him for a while, but I'm hoping he'll get better when he gets a little older. If not, I'll have to figure something out.
Amazing how one or two birds can cause total choas in a normally peace situation. I have NO idea
At this point I have NO idea except to keep them out of the aviary .

It sure is!
As long as Dolly and Malio are sitting on the side line, so to speak, everything is great in the aviary. Not one problem.
Back to top Go down
NiteOwl
Special Pigeon Angel
NiteOwl

PostSubject: Re: Rescued Pigeons swapping nests   Rescued Pigeons swapping nests - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 27, 2009 10:15 pm

Hey, Idea/thought maybe we could start a new loft with all the problem birds. Let them straighten it out. Wonder who'd come out on top. Sort of how they started Australia. LOL. Maybe we could charge people to take their bad birds in. LOL. That would pay for their upkeep. And right about now, I think I'd pay someone to keep Mica for a while.
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Rescued Pigeons swapping nests   Rescued Pigeons swapping nests - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 27, 2009 10:33 pm

NiteOwl wrote:

Hey, Idea/thought maybe we could start a new loft with all the problem birds. Let them straighten it out.
Wonder who'd come out on top.

Sort of how they started Australia. LOL. Maybe we could charge people to take their bad birds in. LOL. That would pay for their upkeep. And right about now, I think I'd pay someone to keep Mica for a while.
I wish Mikko would slap the tar out of those two.
Maybe he's just being 'nice' because he's Malio's father in law and Dolly's Grandpa. I have NO idea
Back to top Go down
NiteOwl
Special Pigeon Angel
NiteOwl

PostSubject: Re: Rescued Pigeons swapping nests   Rescued Pigeons swapping nests - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 28, 2009 3:58 pm

Cindy, I hear ya. If you need someone to slap the tar out of him, I'll send over Mica for a week. I really think he could do it. He doesn't EVER back down from anyone. What he needs is a bigger, badder pijjie to teach him some manners. I'd look for one, but then I'd have one even worse than Mica to contend with. The only bird in the loft that goes after Him, is Gully. My little tough rescue homer. I just love that gals attitude. No one messes with her. She pecks him in the head if he bugs her. I crack up when she does that. She's one tough little woman. Maybe I should send her over for a week or two. LOL.
Charis has more room lately. Lets send them over there! You know her, she's sweet. She'll take anyone who needs her. Maybe she can teach them some manners. Wink But don't tell her I said that. LOL.
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Rescued Pigeons swapping nests   Rescued Pigeons swapping nests - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 28, 2009 6:06 pm

NiteOwl wrote:
Cindy, I hear ya. If you need someone to slap the tar out of him, I'll send over Mica for a week. I really think he could do it. He doesn't EVER back down from anyone. What he needs is a bigger, badder pijjie to teach him some manners. I'd look for one, but then I'd have one even worse than Mica to contend with. The only bird in the loft that goes after Him, is Gully. My little tough rescue homer. I just love that gals attitude. No one messes with her. She pecks him in the head if he bugs her. I crack up when she does that. She's one tough little woman. Maybe I should send her over for a week or two. LOL.

* Charis has more room lately. Lets send them over there!

You know her, she's sweet. She'll take anyone who needs her. Maybe she can teach them some manners. Wink But don't tell her I said that. LOL.
Hmmm Now there's an idea! That's too funny
Back to top Go down
AZJourney
Special Pigeon Angel
AZJourney

PostSubject: Re: Rescued Pigeons swapping nests   Rescued Pigeons swapping nests - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 28, 2009 10:18 pm

Idea/thought Do you think that it could be that before you moved them ... they all had a very good view of the outside world..... Dove right and now the latice blocks some of that ..so they fight for the shelf with the best (not obstructed) view??? I know in your AZ room the there is glass windows all around them, on everyones sides, now some are covered by the latice....(((because your a good pijie mom and giving them shade- Rescued Pigeons swapping nests - Page 2 106767 maybe they didn't get that memo Rescued Pigeons swapping nests - Page 2 Suspect )))

If it makes you feel any better... I can loan you my BIG ole Journey for a week, I'd even drive him up to ya- He is a Oh brother BRUT Evil, wrong doing and will set them right in their place!!!
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: Rescued Pigeons swapping nests   Rescued Pigeons swapping nests - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 28, 2009 10:24 pm

ROTFL ROTFL ROTFL ROTFL
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Rescued Pigeons swapping nests   Rescued Pigeons swapping nests - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 28, 2009 11:12 pm

Could be the view, Jenn. I have NO idea
If that's the problem, they better get used to it because the aviary isn't coming back inside.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rescued Pigeons swapping nests   Rescued Pigeons swapping nests - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Rescued Pigeons swapping nests
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next