Pigeon Angels
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pigeon Angels

RegisterSearchLatest imagesHomeLog in
At this time Pigeon Angels forum is in an archive status. For assistance please log into Pigeon Angels Facebook by clicking the following link. Thank You https://www.facebook.com/groups/176239232007/?hc_location=stream

Rescued Pigeons swapping nests

Go down 
+6
NiteOwl
Jenaka
Capuccino
Matilda
AZWhitefeather
Cynthia
10 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

Rescued Pigeons swapping nests - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rescued Pigeons swapping nests   Rescued Pigeons swapping nests - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 28, 2009 11:30 pm

NiteOwl wrote:
Cindy, I hear ya. If you need someone to slap the tar out of him, I'll send over Mica for a week. I really think he could do it. He doesn't EVER back down from anyone. What he needs is a bigger, badder pijjie to teach him some manners. I'd look for one, but then I'd have one even worse than Mica to contend with. The only bird in the loft that goes after Him, is Gully. My little tough rescue homer. I just love that gals attitude. No one messes with her. She pecks him in the head if he bugs her. I crack up when she does that. She's one tough little woman. Maybe I should send her over for a week or two. LOL.
Charis has more room lately. Lets send them over there! You know her, she's sweet. She'll take anyone who needs her. Maybe she can teach them some manners. Wink But don't tell her I said that. LOL.

Hey you...I'm not that sweet. Serious EEK!!
Back to top Go down
AZJourney
Special Pigeon Angel
AZJourney

PostSubject: Re: Rescued Pigeons swapping nests   Rescued Pigeons swapping nests - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 29, 2009 9:28 am

I hear you.. :Rolling eyes: . I have been having a ton of trouble with my asthma! YUK So I know how you feel... But Mine have to be indoors. They aren't allowed outside. 🇳🇴
Back to top Go down
NiteOwl
Special Pigeon Angel
NiteOwl

PostSubject: Re: Rescued Pigeons swapping nests   Rescued Pigeons swapping nests - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 29, 2009 10:47 am

Cindy, you've probably already answered this question, and somehow I missed it, but when you moved them outside, does the aviary still face in EXACTLY THE SAME POSITION? I mean, is what was the southeast corner, still the southeast corner? Or was it turned a little. Because that could do it. Are all sides of the aviary still facing the sides that they were inside? Don't know if I'm making this clear or not. Hmmm
Back to top Go down
AZJourney
Special Pigeon Angel
AZJourney

PostSubject: Re: Rescued Pigeons swapping nests   Rescued Pigeons swapping nests - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 29, 2009 10:53 am

NiteOwl wrote:
Cindy, you've probably already answered this question, and somehow I missed it, but when you moved them outside, does the aviary still face in EXACTLY THE SAME POSITION? I mean, is what was the southeast corner, still the southeast corner? Or was it turned a little. Because that could do it. Are all sides of the aviary still facing the sides that they were inside? Don't know if I'm making this clear or not. Hmmm

YESS!! .... Makes perfect sence... Thats what I was...... in around about way; trying to say... HA HA HA Shock maybe, I make no sence now! nutter
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Rescued Pigeons swapping nests   Rescued Pigeons swapping nests - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 29, 2009 1:41 pm

Goodness me, what a soap opera! You have to wonder what goes on inside their heads, sometimes! confused

I also have a candidate for the Hotel For Pigeons Behaving Badly, my rescue Lillith. She's fully recovered but I can't release her until her wing and tail feathers grow back. Meanwhile she's a very ungracious guest: growly, pecky, wingslapping, totally defiant! Major Rant
I suppose it serves me right for naming her after a she-devil! That's too funny
Back to top Go down
AZJourney
Special Pigeon Angel
AZJourney

PostSubject: Re: Rescued Pigeons swapping nests   Rescued Pigeons swapping nests - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 29, 2009 2:25 pm

Teresa wrote:
Goodness me, what a soap opera! You have to wonder what goes on inside their heads, sometimes! confused

I also have a candidate for the Hotel For Pigeons Behaving Badly, my rescue Lillith. She's fully recovered but I can't release her until her wing and tail feathers grow back. Meanwhile she's a very ungracious guest: growly, pecky, wingslapping, totally defiant! Major Rant

Ha!Ha!Ha! "Ask and you shall recieve"... or in this case "Name" and you shall recieve.... lol.... Funny! Rescued Pigeons swapping nests - Page 3 142829
Back to top Go down
NiteOwl
Special Pigeon Angel
NiteOwl

PostSubject: Re: Rescued Pigeons swapping nests   Rescued Pigeons swapping nests - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 29, 2009 2:43 pm

Jenn, I love your signature line. How very true that is.
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Rescued Pigeons swapping nests   Rescued Pigeons swapping nests - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 29, 2009 3:20 pm

NiteOwl wrote:
Cindy, you've probably already answered this question, and somehow I missed it, but when you moved them outside, does the aviary still face in EXACTLY THE SAME POSITION? I mean, is what was the southeast corner, still the southeast corner? Or was it turned a little. Because that could do it.

Are all sides of the aviary still facing the sides that they were inside?

Don't know if I'm making this clear or not. Hmmm
No, they aren't. :eek: This may sound silly, but why would that make a difference?
Why wouldn't all the birds be acting up?
Back to top Go down
http://www.pigeonangels.com
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Rescued Pigeons swapping nests   Rescued Pigeons swapping nests - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 29, 2009 3:26 pm

Teresa wrote:

I also have a candidate for the Hotel For Pigeons Behaving Badly, my rescue Lillith. She's fully recovered but I can't release her until her wing and tail feathers grow back.

Meanwhile she's a very ungracious guest: growly, pecky, wingslapping, totally defiant! Major Rant
While it can be frustrating, the growling, pecking and wingslapping are actually really good signs, especially if she is going to be released.
It means you are doing a great job of rehabbing a 'releasable' bird. Great job
Back to top Go down
NiteOwl
Special Pigeon Angel
NiteOwl

PostSubject: Re: Rescued Pigeons swapping nests   Rescued Pigeons swapping nests - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 29, 2009 3:39 pm

Fancyfeathers wrote:
NiteOwl wrote:
Cindy, you've probably already answered this question, and somehow I missed it, but when you moved them outside, does the aviary still face in EXACTLY THE SAME POSITION? I mean, is what was the southeast corner, still the southeast corner? Or was it turned a little. Because that could do it.

Don't know if I'm making this clear or not. Hmmm
No, they aren't. :eek: This may sound silly, but why would that make a difference?

I don't know. You probably think I'm nuts. But some are just more sensitive than others. Animals feel the difference. Birds navigate by the sun, and the stars, and the pull of the earth. It has to feel differently to them being placed in a different position to all these things. I know it sounds crazy, but think about it. The sun always came up in a certain place, and moved across, and set in a certain place. Now, being outside, they can still see this. It has to feel "not right". I don't know. But I think that certain individuals would react to this. All my birds are different, and react differently to different things. Maybe I'm totally wrong, but what else is different? Except what has also been mentioned, and that is that the lattice is there. Why would they be acting up now? It has to be something that changed. This is only one thought, and like I said, you probably think I'm nuts. Maybe I am.
Back to top Go down
NiteOwl
Special Pigeon Angel
NiteOwl

PostSubject: Re: Rescued Pigeons swapping nests   Rescued Pigeons swapping nests - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 29, 2009 3:41 pm

Fancyfeathers wrote:
Teresa wrote:

I also have a candidate for the Hotel For Pigeons Behaving Badly, my rescue Lillith. She's fully recovered but I can't release her until her wing and tail feathers grow back.

Meanwhile she's a very ungracious guest: growly, pecky, wingslapping, totally defiant! Major Rant
While it can be frustrating, the growling, pecking and wingslapping are actually really good signs, especially if she is going to be released.
It means you are doing a great job of rehabbing a 'releasable' bird. Great job

You know, you're right! If you are going to release a bird, better for the bird to remain wild.
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Rescued Pigeons swapping nests   Rescued Pigeons swapping nests - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 29, 2009 4:01 pm

AZJourney wrote:
I hear you.. :Rolling eyes: .
I have been having a ton of trouble with my asthma! YUK So I know how you feel... But Mine have to be indoors. They aren't allowed outside. 🇳🇴
Sorry to hear about your asthma flair up, Jenn. :(

I went to my pulmonary doc on Tuesday and it looks like I'm going to be on a daily low dose of Prednisone for quite a while. Disappointed
He's concerned this might have become irreversible, so there is just no way I can bring the aviary back inside at any time. Disappointed
Back to top Go down
NiteOwl
Special Pigeon Angel
NiteOwl

PostSubject: Re: Rescued Pigeons swapping nests   Rescued Pigeons swapping nests - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 29, 2009 4:54 pm

Oh, I would never suggest that. Just trying to figure out the birds behavior. What ever is causing it, he'll just have to adjust. It's not your fault at all. I hope you didn't take it that way. Some things we just can't control. I think he will settle down in time. I certainly hope so. I know the frustrating feeling of having one little trouble maker cause complete havoc in a loft or aviary. I do think that in time it will quiet down. Just don't know when. Don't you wish we could read their minds? Or that they could speak in terms that we can understand, without having to try and read them by their actions?
Back to top Go down
AZJourney
Special Pigeon Angel
AZJourney

PostSubject: Re: Rescued Pigeons swapping nests   Rescued Pigeons swapping nests - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 29, 2009 8:51 pm

Fancyfeathers wrote:
AZJourney wrote:
I have been having a ton of trouble with my asthma! YUK So I know how you feel... But Mine have to be indoors. They aren't allowed outside. 🇳🇴

I went to my pulmonary doc on Tuesday and it looks like I'm going to be on a daily low dose of Prednisone for quite a while. Disappointed
He's concerned this might have become irreversible, so there is just no way I can bring the aviary back inside at any time. Disappointed

I haven't even told my Dr. about the birds... I don't know if I could take what he would tell me.. Embarassed . SO... For now, he upped my inhalers and I've been feeling better... I wear a mask and run the purifier in the birds room...

But I know you can't bring them in. I also know that if you Could you would. Wink They will get used to it... I was just thinking that really was they only change.... you know. Idea/thought Maybe you could hang a big mirror in there that would reflect the canal....and the yard.... just a thought.....
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Rescued Pigeons swapping nests   Rescued Pigeons swapping nests - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 30, 2009 7:41 am

NiteOwl wrote:
Fancyfeathers wrote:
NiteOwl wrote:

Hmmm

I don't know. You probably think I'm nuts.

But some are just more sensitive than others. Animals feel the difference. Birds navigate by the sun, and the stars, and the pull of the earth. It has to feel differently to them being placed in a different position to all these things. I know it sounds crazy, but think about it. The sun always came up in a certain place, and moved across, and set in a certain place. Now, being outside, they can still see this. It has to feel "not right". I don't know. But I think that certain individuals would react to this. All my birds are different, and react differently to different things. Maybe I'm totally wrong, but what else is different? Except what has also been mentioned, and that is that the lattice is there. Why would they be acting up now? It has to be something that changed. This is only one thought, and like I said, you probably think I'm nuts. Maybe I am.
Not at all!
Although it may or may not be the case, what you've said makes perfect sense. Rescued Pigeons swapping nests - Page 3 142829
Thanks so much for the suggestions. I'll definitely take heed of them.
I just never thought about those factors. Oh brother
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Rescued Pigeons swapping nests   Rescued Pigeons swapping nests - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 30, 2009 7:47 am

NiteOwl wrote:

Oh, I would never suggest that.
Just trying to figure out the birds behavior. What ever is causing it, he'll just have to adjust.

* It's not your fault at all. I hope you didn't take it that way.

Some things we just can't control. I think he will settle down in time. I certainly hope so. I know the frustrating feeling of having one little trouble maker cause complete havoc in a loft or aviary. I do think that in time it will quiet down. Just don't know when.

** Don't you wish we could read their minds? Or that they could speak in terms that we can understand, without having to try and read them by their actions?
Oh, I know. That was more me thinking out loud. LOL

* Not at all. Smile
** I sure do. It would make things sooo much easier. Thrilled
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Rescued Pigeons swapping nests   Rescued Pigeons swapping nests - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 30, 2009 8:06 am

AZJourney wrote:
Fancyfeathers wrote:
AZJourney wrote:

I haven't even told my Dr. about the birds...
I don't know if I could take what he would tell me.. Embarassed . SO... For now, he upped my inhalers and I've been feeling better... I wear a mask and run the purifier in the birds room...

But I know you can't bring them in. I also know that if you Could you would. Wink They will get used to it... I was just thinking that really was they only change.... you know. Idea/thought Maybe you could hang a big mirror in there that would reflect the canal....and the yard.... just a thought.....
My previous dr. put me on all the asthma medications he could think of, to no avail of relief.
I changed drs and the current one was at a loss after trying different things so he got the bight Idea/thought to send me to a pulmonary doc. There's a concept.

Given my symptoms, the first question from the pulmonary doc was do I smoke. Nope! Never have.
Have I been around any materials that would cause an allergic reaction. Nope!
Then he asked what my hobbies were. I hesitated for a couple seconds and he immediately asked if I have been around any birds. :WHAT?: I was busted. Serious EEK!!

I was thinking of all the factors involved and came to the conclusion that my respiratory problems began about 2 months AFTER I moved the birds inside which was 3 1/2 years ago.

I must admit, I haven't mentioned our backyard flock to the dr.
He would probably just Oh brother , :WHAT?: and walk out the door.
Back to top Go down
NiteOwl
Special Pigeon Angel
NiteOwl

PostSubject: Re: Rescued Pigeons swapping nests   Rescued Pigeons swapping nests - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 30, 2009 9:45 am

[quote="Fancyfeathers"]
AZJourney wrote:
Fancyfeathers wrote:
AZJourney wrote:

I haven't even told my Dr. about the birds...
I don't know if I could take what he would tell me.. Embarassed . SO... For now, he upped my inhalers and I've been feeling better... I wear a mask and run the purifier in the birds room...

Given my symptoms, the first question from the pulmonary doc was do I smoke. Nope! Never have.
Have I been around any materials that would cause an allergic reaction. Nope!
Then he asked what my hobbies were. I hesitated for a couple seconds and he immediately asked if I have been around any birds. :WHAT?: I was busted. Serious EEK!!

I was thinking of all the factors involved and came to the conclusion that my respiratory problems began about 2 months AFTER I moved the birds inside which was 3 1/2 years ago.

I must admit, I haven't mentioned our backyard flock to the dr.
He would probably just Oh brother , :WHAT?: and walk out the door.

Listen to us. Aren't we a bunch of butes? Some of us keep our birds inside, because we can't have them outside. Some of us don't tell our Dr. that we even have birds, because of the fear that they will tell us we can't have them. :For Shame: I myself am always bringing into the house a new rescue, or a baby for a month or two. We don't mention that we have backyard flocks coming daily. And we all have asthma. We keep going back to have them readjust our inhalers and medications. But we keep our birds. You can't say that we aren't loyal. Although, I don't think the backyard flock would really bother our asthma, as it is outside in the air and wind. Don't know. Of course I also have dogs. And that really doesn't help either. I work with nurses, who tell me emphatically that I need to "get rid of the birds". What's a person to do? Too bad they're so dusty. I just try to keep the loft as clean as possible, and let them bathe often to keep the dust down. And try to have good ventilation in the loft. Of course, here in New England, it is more closed up for the winter. Not entirely, but not so open as it is during the warmer months. Any other ideas? What do others do to keep the allergens to a minimum? :Need some help
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Rescued Pigeons swapping nests   Rescued Pigeons swapping nests - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 30, 2009 6:42 pm

Doctors can be very judgemental and totally fail to understand that perfect health can't always be a patient's priority, and there has to be a compromise reached between health and quality of life. I truly admire everyone who is allergic to birds and decides to keep the birds and try to maintain the allergies to a minimum. They deserve a doctor who will HELP them to do just that.

I remember how I felt when I went to the doctor's with a throat infection and he showed me the door, as supposedly it was entirely my fault because I insisted on working in a very smokey environment. I take it the monster had no idea what compromises single parents have to do! Did he want me to quit my job and beg in the streets?

I've got a friend who has Lupus. She had a very difficult pregnancy because she was allergic to her unborn baby, and her immune system was actually trying to reject him. Thankfully, her doctor wasn't heartless enough to suggest she should get rid of the allergen... She is now the proud mother of a very healthy boy.
Back to top Go down
NiteOwl
Special Pigeon Angel
NiteOwl

PostSubject: Re: Rescued Pigeons swapping nests   Rescued Pigeons swapping nests - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 30, 2009 7:50 pm

Well thank God your friend had a good Dr. She must be so happy.
Back to top Go down
Cynthia

Cynthia

PostSubject: Re: Rescued Pigeons swapping nests   Rescued Pigeons swapping nests - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 11, 2009 6:40 pm

Quote :
I just try to keep the loft as clean as possible, and let them bathe often to keep the dust down. And try to have good ventilation in the loft. Of course, here in New England, it is more closed up for the winter. Not entirely, but not so open as it is during the warmer months. Any other ideas? What do others do to keep the allergens to a minimum? Rescued Pigeons swapping nests - Page 3 649643

I use a Powercap when I work in the shed or the shelter...it draws air in through a filter and then blows it down so hopefully no antigens are inhaled. I also have a mask for working in the flight, which is open so well ventilated. I should wear a cover of some sort that I remove before coming back inside, leave my aviary shoes outside etc. And of course, I must never, never have a bird inside the house! Rescued Pigeons swapping nests - Page 3 5244

...But Bootsie is inside tonight because John just brought him back from Worthing and doesn't want him to go in the aviary in the dark, and Reggie has been inside for the past week because he is recovering from surgery, and I am coughing and have a routine appointment with the consultant on Monday to discuss coming off Prednisolone: I have spent 24 of the last 33 months on Prednisolone, starting each time on 30 mg and tapering down to 1 mg over 12 months. What I really want to have the option of taking as short course of Prednisolone if my oxygen stats start to drop without having to admit why my sats have dropped. Rescued Pigeons swapping nests - Page 3 Thumb_11
Back to top Go down
http://www.pigeon-aid.pigeon.net/
NiteOwl
Special Pigeon Angel
NiteOwl

PostSubject: Re: Rescued Pigeons swapping nests   Rescued Pigeons swapping nests - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 11, 2009 8:54 pm

Boy! I hear ya. I hate Prednisone. 24 of the last 33 months? OY! That must be very hard on you. Where did you get the powercap? I know about having birds in the house. But sometimes, I just have no other option. Wish I had another small loft for new birds, or babies when they need to be hand fed, and kept away from the older birds. Thanks Cynthia.
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Rescued Pigeons swapping nests   Rescued Pigeons swapping nests - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 21, 2009 4:47 am

[quote="Cynthia"]
Quote :
I use a Powercap when I work in the shed or the shelter...it draws air in through a filter and then blows it down so hopefully no antigens are inhaled. I also have a mask for working in the flight, which is open so well ventilated. I should wear a cover of some sort that I remove before coming back inside, leave my aviary shoes outside etc. And of course, I must never, never have a bird inside the house! Rescued Pigeons swapping nests - Page 3 5244
...But Bootsie is inside tonight because John just brought him back from Worthing and doesn't want him to go in the aviary in the dark, and Reggie has been inside for the past week because he is recovering from surgery, and I am coughing and have a routine appointment with the consultant on Monday to discuss coming off Prednisolone: I have spent 24 of the last 33 months on Prednisolone, starting each time on 30 mg and tapering down to 1 mg over 12 months. What I really want to have the option of taking as short course of Prednisolone if my oxygen stats start to drop without having to admit why my sats have dropped. Rescued Pigeons swapping nests - Page 3 Thumb_11

I feel for you, Cynthia. Group hug
I hope plenty of people who are not allergic to the birds will get recruited so that those who are allergic don't have to pay such a heavy toll for being angels.
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Rescued Pigeons swapping nests   Rescued Pigeons swapping nests - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 21, 2009 8:07 am

Teresa wrote:

I hope plenty of people who are not allergic to the birds will get recruited so that those who are allergic don't have to pay such a heavy toll for being angels.
I know I wish I had known more about HP (Hypersensitivity Pneumonitis) before it hit, rather than after.
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Rescued Pigeons swapping nests   Rescued Pigeons swapping nests - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2009 5:48 am

I feel very fortunate that I don't suffer from HP, because John's warning, about not keeping pigeons in a room that's in constant use, came too late for me -- I'd always kept Piper near me, and after she recovered she got really distressed when I put her anywhere else, even in the comfortable cage in the covered balcony. And any new arrivals are also kept in the room where I work, so I can keep an eye on them.
At the moment, with molting in progress, I'm getting headaches and a sore throat 24/7 from all the bloom, and I can only barely imagine what HP sufferers go through. I'm sending healing thoughts and lots of love your way.
Circle of Love
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rescued Pigeons swapping nests   Rescued Pigeons swapping nests - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Rescued Pigeons swapping nests
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next