Pigeon Angels
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pigeon Angels

RegisterSearchLatest imagesHomeLog in
At this time Pigeon Angels forum is in an archive status. For assistance please log into Pigeon Angels Facebook by clicking the following link. Thank You https://www.facebook.com/groups/176239232007/?hc_location=stream

No rest for the wicked

Go down 
+14
Jackie\'s Mom
priya
EgypSwiftLady
jamy
Capuccino
plamenh
AZJourney
Dolly
Jenaka
Cynthia
Matilda
pigeonwriter
AZWhitefeather
Teresa
18 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 21 ... 36  Next
AuthorMessage
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

No rest for the wicked - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: No rest for the wicked   No rest for the wicked - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 05, 2009 10:53 pm

It does sound like Rambo may have a canker issue, for one.
He sure was going for those seeds, bless his heart.
Supplemental heat and a little hydration can, and usually does, make all the difference in the world. No rest for the wicked - Page 6 526287

Will be thinking, and sending, positive thoughts that he continues to improve.
Please do keep us posted.
Back to top Go down
http://www.pigeonangels.com
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: No rest for the wicked   No rest for the wicked - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 06, 2009 7:14 pm

Thank you, Cindy!
Thanks
Rambo seems to be getting along well. He's setting new standards for feistiness, anyway! That's too funny Today it's been raining very heavily, and I'm glad he gets to stay in a warm, dry place while he's recovering.
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: No rest for the wicked   No rest for the wicked - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 06, 2009 10:26 pm

Teresa wrote:
Thank you, Cindy!
No rest for the wicked - Page 6 686336
Rambo seems to be getting along well. He's setting new standards for feistiness, anyway! No rest for the wicked - Page 6 982130
Today it's been raining very heavily, and I'm glad he gets to stay in a warm, dry place while he's recovering.

I'm so glad he's safe and all snuggled in with you, No rest for the wicked - Page 6 458406 rather than having to try to find shelter from the rain. No rest for the wicked - Page 6 Icon_sad
Back to top Go down
pigeonwriter
Special Pigeon Angel
pigeonwriter

PostSubject: Re: No rest for the wicked   No rest for the wicked - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 08, 2009 3:53 am

Teresa, I am soglad that you have some good news too. All these sad stories are simply too much.. Not feeling well
Back to top Go down
http://www.vyala-arts.com
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: No rest for the wicked   No rest for the wicked - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 10, 2009 9:07 pm

Rambo is continuing to improve, but slowly.
I'm starting to wonder if he is releasable at all, as he tires so easily and makes no attempt to fly. I dropped him from a couple of feet off the ground and he opened his wings and flew, but not very effectively, only enough for a smooth descent.
He still eats little and often, and his poos are a much better consistency.

These are today's pictures. The tubes are changing to feathers on his head, but I worry about the tufted feathers on his neck, as he's more than half-way through his canker treatment course.

No rest for the wicked - Page 6 DSCNB3087-u-r550

Exercise time, but he is one reluctant participant. The only activity he seems to enjoy is pecking me! Oh brother

No rest for the wicked - Page 6 DSCNB3089-ccr500

Finally, on this video you can clearly see that he wobbles and overbalances slightly when he changes direction. I'm still wondering if he took a blow to the head. If it was an ear infection, surely the antibiotic would have taken care of that by now?...

https://s333.photobucket.com/albums/m381/Skbllz/Pigeons/Sammy/?action=view&current=DSCNB3091-wobble.flv

Last edited by Teresa on Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: No rest for the wicked   No rest for the wicked - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 10, 2009 9:14 pm

Today I made him a deluxe nest, made up of strips of corrugated cardboard, and he seems to like it a lot.
I'm thinking of worming him Monday or Tuesday.
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: No rest for the wicked   No rest for the wicked - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 10, 2009 10:37 pm

Appreciate the update, Teresa. No rest for the wicked - Page 6 458406
Even though it's slow going, I'm glad to hear little Rambo is improving.
He still doesn't look like he feels very well, bless his heart. No rest for the wicked - Page 6 Icon_pale

His feather coloring is absolutely beautiful. No rest for the wicked - Page 6 52853
Please keep us posted on how things progress.
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: No rest for the wicked   No rest for the wicked - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 10, 2009 10:52 pm

Yes, he still does look really off.
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: No rest for the wicked   No rest for the wicked - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 11, 2009 5:32 am

Matilda wrote:
Yes, he still does look really off.

My thoughts entirely! That's why I was wondering whether there's more than salmonella/canker present. He doesn't have the kind of pulpy poops we'd associate with coccidiosis, so I thought maybe worms.
The Chevita site says not to worm during the molt, but it looks like he's about finished molting, so do you think it's safe to do it in the next couple of days?
Back to top Go down
plamenh
Special Pigeon Angel
plamenh

PostSubject: Re: No rest for the wicked   No rest for the wicked - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 11, 2009 8:35 am

Ivermectin and praziquantel are safe to use during the moult. I even used Ivermectin on squeakers infested with lice without affecting feather growth.
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: No rest for the wicked   No rest for the wicked - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 11, 2009 9:43 am

Many thanks. I'll use the Ivermectin.
Back to top Go down
pigeonwriter
Special Pigeon Angel
pigeonwriter

PostSubject: Re: No rest for the wicked   No rest for the wicked - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 11, 2009 9:48 am

The sweet little guy looks still very weak to me - that may be the reason why he is reluctant to fly and move around more. I really hope that you can make him healthy again, Teresa.
Sending all my healing thought into your direction Pigeon angel Pigeon angel Pigeon angel
Back to top Go down
http://www.vyala-arts.com
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: No rest for the wicked   No rest for the wicked - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 12, 2009 9:10 pm

plamenh wrote:
You may also try Arnica pills for that leg.
I have injured Senegal dove with big lump on the wing joint. Two days on Arnica reduced swelling in half.

Thanks Thanks Thanks Thanks Thanks
That was a fantastic suggestion!
After I saw the improvement on Penny, I tried it on me (sprained ankle) and it worked like magic. So when my daughter's drawing hand started to swell from the repetitive strain of completing a bulk order of art cards for Lucas Films against the clock, I suggested it to her. Again, it worked wonders. In fact she said, 'Make sure to thank Plamenh for that tip. If it wasn't for that, I wouldn't have been able to finish the work on time and I would have been in deep...
crazy crazy crazy crazy crazy '
Back to top Go down
plamenh
Special Pigeon Angel
plamenh

PostSubject: Re: No rest for the wicked   No rest for the wicked - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 12, 2009 9:34 pm

I can see you are early bird like me That's too funny
I'm glad to be of help to all of you. Smile
You daughter should also try sea salt dissolved in warm water. Improves circulation and reduces swelling. Just to keep hand in it for 15~30 min while relaxing.
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: No rest for the wicked   No rest for the wicked - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 13, 2009 7:05 pm

plamenh wrote:
I can see you are early bird like me That's too funny

Oh nononononono! I am a VERY LATE bird! That's too funny I've been staying up until 4 am or so, then I take the dog out and do the last pigeon water patrol at the park, then -- finally! -- zzzzz. But I'm not doing that tonight: when I dozed off while holding little Rambo (who was cold and miserable and wanted attention) I realised I need more rest than that!

Quote :
I'm glad to be of help to all of you. Smile
You daughter should also try sea salt dissolved in warm water. Improves circulation and reduces swelling. Just to keep hand in it for 15~30 min while relaxing.

Thanks again! I just went across to tell my daughter that and she's going to try it. She said it sounded perfect for those winter days when fingers feel too cold to draw.
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: No rest for the wicked   No rest for the wicked - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 13, 2009 7:17 pm

I'm still concerned about little Rambo. Today he felt cold and was looking off-colour. He snuggled up and got cosy when offered a cuddle, so I've restarted putting a hot water bottle in his nest.
I'm waiting to see if the Ivermectin leads to a big improvement. He's also on a probiotic now. I spent ages to convince him to eat a little more, as he needs to gain weight, but his breathing still sounds a little laboured. (No sneezing or discharges, though.) Is it possible that Salmonella caused a sinus infection, and if so, shouldn't the antibiotic have cleared it?
Back to top Go down
plamenh
Special Pigeon Angel
plamenh

PostSubject: Re: No rest for the wicked   No rest for the wicked - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 13, 2009 10:44 pm

If there is a sinus infection, AB should clear it out, but if there is a canker nodule in the sinus opening, it may take ages to clear.

Quote :
Oh nononononono! I am a VERY LATE bird! I've been staying up until 4 am

That explains why your user was still active early morning for me and late night for you That's too funny We are more or less in the same time zone. Maybe you are on winter time now.
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: No rest for the wicked   No rest for the wicked - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 14, 2009 8:31 pm

plamenh wrote:
If there is a sinus infection, AB should clear it out, but if there is a canker nodule in the sinus opening, it may take ages to clear.

If it's a canker nodule, does that mean the canker isn't treated yet (and in that case, shall I try him on Nitazoxanide, providing I can buy it)? Or can it happen that the canker is under control but the nodules take longer to fall off?

Quote :
That explains why your user was still active early morning for me and late night for you That's too funny We are more or less in the same time zone. Maybe you are on winter time now.

I'm on GMT, so it's an hour earlier here, but winter time will start later this month.
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: No rest for the wicked   No rest for the wicked - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 14, 2009 8:33 pm

Rambo likes his hot water bottle!

No rest for the wicked - Page 6 DSCNB3189-r550

Last edited by Teresa on Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: No rest for the wicked   No rest for the wicked - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 14, 2009 8:44 pm

He has very unusual markings...beautiful!
Back to top Go down
plamenh
Special Pigeon Angel
plamenh

PostSubject: Re: No rest for the wicked   No rest for the wicked - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 14, 2009 11:18 pm

Quote :
If it's a canker nodule, does that mean the canker isn't treated yet (and in that case, shall I try him on Nitazoxanide, providing I can buy it)? Or can it happen that the canker is under control but the nodules take longer to fall off?

When you have normal canker in the throat, when treated you kill it. Then growth just fells off. Bird either swallows it or spits it out. Sinus chamber on the other side looks like room with two doors on the opposite sides. When canker accumulated there, even dead will have nowhere to go. (You killed elephant and you can't get body through the door out)
Obvious solution is either to do incision - I do not like that, or cut/dissolve nodule.
I use warm water and a drop of Iodine in this case as nasal drops. Not pleasant for the bird and you need to be careful not to get solution in eye (stings) but worked in several cases I had. It will help with infection too if is not canker.
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: No rest for the wicked   No rest for the wicked - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 15, 2009 4:52 am

plamenh wrote:
I use warm water and a drop of Iodine in this case as nasal drops. Not pleasant for the bird and you need to be careful not to get solution in eye (stings) but worked in several cases I had. It will help with infection too if is not canker.

Right, I'll try that. I hate to do unpleasant things to any of the animals, but if that's what it takes for him to get better...

Another thought: I know someone who suffers from sinusitis and swears by warm saline solution for disinfection. But that wouldn't help dissolve the nodule, would it?
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: No rest for the wicked   No rest for the wicked - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 15, 2009 7:20 am

Teresa wrote:
I'm still concerned about little Rambo. Today he felt cold and was looking off-colour. He snuggled up and got cosy when offered a cuddle, so I've restarted putting a hot water bottle in his nest.
I'm waiting to see if the Ivermectin leads to a big improvement. He's also on a probiotic now. I spent ages to convince him to eat a little more, as he needs to gain weight, but his breathing still sounds a little laboured. (No sneezing or discharges, though.)
Is it possible that Salmonella caused a sinus infection, and if so, shouldn't the antibiotic have cleared it?

Teresa wrote:

plamenh wrote:

Sinus chamber on the other side looks like room with two doors on the opposite sides. When canker accumulated there, even dead will have nowhere to go. (You killed elephant and you can't get body through the door out)

Right, I'll try that. I hate to do unpleasant things to any of the animals, but if that's what it takes for him to get better...

Another thought: I know someone who suffers from sinusitis and swears by warm saline solution for disinfection. But that wouldn't help dissolve the nodule, would it?
Hi Teresa, No rest for the wicked - Page 6 333746
Since there is no sneezing or discharge, is there any other indication that canker has invaded the sinuses or a sinus infection is present?
If not, I would be hesitant to put Rambo through any unpleasant treatment. JMO
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: No rest for the wicked   No rest for the wicked - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 15, 2009 8:45 pm

Fancyfeathers wrote:

Hi Teresa, No rest for the wicked - Page 6 333746
Since there is no sneezing or discharge, is there any other indication that canker has invaded the sinuses or a sinus infection is present?
If not, I would be hesitant to put Rambo through any unpleasant treatment. JMO

That's precisely what's worrying me! He's been treated for salmonella and canker, and also wormed. But still something is not right:

- His breathing is sometimes raspy and he has to keep taking breaths when eating or drinking. He eats only the smallest seeds.
- He gets cold very rapidly, even in very warm weather, and the feathers fluff out especially on the front and right hand-side of his neck, and on his forehead.
- His beak is covered in cracks, the ceres look kind of scratched, almost scaly, and his nostrils are very pink (but I don't know if this is because of his colouring). His eyes look a bit squinty most of the time.
- When left to his own devices he neither eats nor drinks enough.
- His poops are a normal colour, urates ok, but still more liquid than they should be.
- He tires easily, and his balance is poor.
- He can't fly, or at least he doesn't try.

Having said that, two days ago he exercised his wings for the first time and started to groom. Was it because of the wormer? Or the probiotic? Or just the hot water bottle at night? I don't know. I feel I'm missing something important here. Maybe he suffered some trauma to the head and this is as good as it gets, but if not I'd like to see him get his health back.
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: No rest for the wicked   No rest for the wicked - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 17, 2009 6:42 am

Celebrate Rambo has good poops at last!

No rest for the wicked - Page 6 DSCNB3194-r500

It must have been the wormer followed by the probiotic! His general condition seems a little better too. Fingers crossed!

Last edited by Teresa on Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: No rest for the wicked   No rest for the wicked - Page 6 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

No rest for the wicked
Page 6 of 36Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 21 ... 36  Next