Pigeon Angels
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pigeon Angels

RegisterSearchLatest imagesHomeLog in
At this time Pigeon Angels forum is in an archive status. For assistance please log into Pigeon Angels Facebook by clicking the following link. Thank You https://www.facebook.com/groups/176239232007/?hc_location=stream

Halo has a broken leg

Go down 
+8
pigeonwriter
Jackie\'s Mom
AnnieBirdy
EgypSwiftLady
Matilda
NiteOwl
AZWhitefeather
Teresa
12 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

Halo has a broken leg Empty
PostSubject: Halo has a broken leg   Halo has a broken leg Icon_minitimeFri Feb 18, 2011 3:33 pm

New patient today, found by my mother. Called her Halo.

One leg hangs limply, a little discoloured, no feeling that I could detect. Disappointed Also starvation poops, sharp keel, slightly discoloured wattles and messy vent. Not good...
Hand fed her peas+corn and an SOS pill, and booked her an appointment at the vet first thing tomorrow morning. I hope, hope, hope she makes it through the night.

She had a loop of plastic-coated wire fitted round the good leg. My guess is the idiot who 'banded' her broke her other leg in the process. Seeing red/mad Very sad
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Halo has a broken leg   Halo has a broken leg Icon_minitimeFri Feb 18, 2011 3:44 pm

I'm so sorry to hear about Halo, Teresa. Bless her heart. Halo has a broken leg 983488
Many thanks to your Mom. Pigeon angel

I will be thinking the best thoughts possible that she is able to hang on.
One thing's for sure, she is in the best of hands. Pigeon angel

Please let us know how things go tomorrow at the vet.
Back to top Go down
http://www.pigeonangels.com
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Halo has a broken leg   Halo has a broken leg Icon_minitimeFri Feb 18, 2011 8:31 pm

Halo is stable. Fingers crossed Can't wait for the morning, to take her to the vet. The fracture is very high up on her leg, and quite beyond my skill to treat.

Got pics. Note how she's positioned her bad leg on the food dish. Very sad

Halo has a broken leg DSCNB8279-r500

Here you can see the wire somebody put round her good leg, and the difference in colouring between the two feet. (The wire has been removed now.)

Halo has a broken leg DSCNB8281-r500
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Halo has a broken leg   Halo has a broken leg Icon_minitimeFri Feb 18, 2011 11:38 pm

Appreciate the pictures of Halo, Teresa.

It definitely looks like the circulation is not the best in her left leg. Very sad
Heaven only knows how long she has been like that.

It was a blessing that your Mom spotted her. Halo has a broken leg 116281
I'll be anxious to hear what the vet has to say. Fingers crossed
Back to top Go down
NiteOwl
Special Pigeon Angel
NiteOwl

PostSubject: Re: Halo has a broken leg   Halo has a broken leg Icon_minitimeSat Feb 19, 2011 12:31 pm

Poor bird. I hope they can fix the leg.
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Halo has a broken leg   Halo has a broken leg Icon_minitimeSat Feb 19, 2011 5:57 pm

Halo has her upper leg broken in two places Serious EEK!! but it's a much cleaner break than Hercules's was. After splinting, the X-ray showed that the bone was well aligned and shows promise for setting in the correct position. The fracture wasn't exposed, so hopefully no necrotic tissue; the question is now whether the bone will knit, and that may depend on how many days ago it happened.

She's remaining hospitalised, as the vet is very concerned about her poops -- oil paint green, with a lot of liquid around it -- and her crop is slow to empty. So she's staying there to get sub-q fluids and injectable meds (coccidia are strong suspects at the moment, plus secondary bacterial infection) and also so she can be seen by the surgeon when he comes back on duty Monday morning, to see if she will need an operation to her leg.

She's a darling, and I'm keeping everything crossed that she'll get well again. Fingers crossed Halo has a broken leg 983488
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: Halo has a broken leg   Halo has a broken leg Icon_minitimeSat Feb 19, 2011 6:00 pm

I sure hope she makes it. Sounds like intensive care is the best place for her given everything going on.
Let us know when you hear anything.
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Halo has a broken leg   Halo has a broken leg Icon_minitimeSat Feb 19, 2011 6:05 pm

Many thanks for the update, Teresa. Pigeon angel
Sending special 'get well' wishes Halo's way. Circle of Love

Chuck and I will keep our fingers crossed as well that she recovers without further incident. Fingers crossed

Please keep us posted.
Back to top Go down
NiteOwl
Special Pigeon Angel
NiteOwl

PostSubject: Re: Halo has a broken leg   Halo has a broken leg Icon_minitimeSat Feb 19, 2011 6:20 pm

Poor thing. Let us know how it goes.
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Halo has a broken leg   Halo has a broken leg Icon_minitimeSat Feb 19, 2011 8:16 pm

Thank you, Charis, Cindy and Jay!

I will definitely keep you posted.
Back to top Go down
EgypSwiftLady
Special Pigeon Angel
EgypSwiftLady

PostSubject: Re: Halo has a broken leg   Halo has a broken leg Icon_minitimeSat Feb 19, 2011 8:29 pm

We will be sending prayers & keeping our fingers crossed that poor Halo recovers 100%

I love her name too! I love it/them
Back to top Go down
http://www.ironwolffarmsanctuary.com
NiteOwl
Special Pigeon Angel
NiteOwl

PostSubject: Re: Halo has a broken leg   Halo has a broken leg Icon_minitimeSat Feb 19, 2011 9:15 pm

Yes, we'll be praying for her.
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Halo has a broken leg   Halo has a broken leg Icon_minitimeMon Feb 21, 2011 8:54 pm

Thank you for your prayers! Thank You Pigeon angel

She's improving, but she's staying at the vet's at least until tomorrow.
She's eating by herself but her poops are still not good, so it's best she is where she can get sub-q fluids and injectable meds, until her intestinal tract is able to absorb what she needs.

No surgery, at least not for now! Celebrate Let's hope the bone knits! Fingers crossed Fingers crossed Fingers crossed Fingers crossed
Back to top Go down
NiteOwl
Special Pigeon Angel
NiteOwl

PostSubject: Re: Halo has a broken leg   Halo has a broken leg Icon_minitimeMon Feb 21, 2011 9:30 pm

I'm glad she's at least improving. Will continue to pray for a recovery. Thanks for the update.
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Halo has a broken leg   Halo has a broken leg Icon_minitimeMon Feb 21, 2011 11:27 pm

Appreciate the update, Teresa. Thanks
I'm glad Halo is improving. YESS!!

The sub q fluids should help considerably. Hydration can make all the difference in the world.
Special 'get well wishes' for Halo's speedy recovery continue. Circle of Love
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Halo has a broken leg   Halo has a broken leg Icon_minitimeWed Feb 23, 2011 8:58 pm

Hey... guess who came home this evening! Happy Dance Happy Dance Happy Dance

Big improvement, especially in the poop department! She's to continue taking Baytril, Flagyl and Loxicom (this last one is new to me, seems to do the same as Metacam). Next appointment in 9 days for another X-ray.

Halo has a broken leg DSCNB8347-r550

Somebody is in need of a good clean, eh! crazy But the colour of the bad leg is SO much better!
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: Halo has a broken leg   Halo has a broken leg Icon_minitimeWed Feb 23, 2011 9:32 pm

Good deal. I'm glad she is on the mend. cheers
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Halo has a broken leg   Halo has a broken leg Icon_minitimeWed Feb 23, 2011 11:14 pm

Thanks for the update, Teresa.
I'm thrilled that Halo is now home with you.
Sending special 'get well' wishes to the sweet girl. Halo has a broken leg 983488

Please keep us posted on how she's getting along.
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Halo has a broken leg   Halo has a broken leg Icon_minitimeSun Feb 27, 2011 9:03 pm

Halo is doing really well! Happy Her poops are still on the soft side, but nothing like they were at first.
She's now finished the course of anti-inflammatory med, and continues on Baytril and Flagyl. She's very alert and feisty and has learned when it's medication time -- hops to the bottom of the basket, eyeing me suspiciously and grunting her displeasure! Tickled Pink

This morning it was very sunny and warm, so I bathed her, taking care not to get her splint and bandages wet, and then put her basket in the sunshine. She loved it!

She's due for her next X-ray on Friday. Fingers crossed Fingers crossed Fingers crossed
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Halo has a broken leg   Halo has a broken leg Icon_minitimeSun Feb 27, 2011 11:27 pm

It sounds like Halo is coming along well, Teresa. Halo has a broken leg 142829
Will also keep fingers crossed that the X-ray is on a positive note. Fingers crossed
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Halo has a broken leg   Halo has a broken leg Icon_minitimeFri Mar 04, 2011 2:57 pm

Wish I had better news to give you... Disappointed Halo's leg has hardly knitted yet. Considering how frail she was when I got her, I did suspect that the injury was a few days old, but as there was no exposed bone surface, I hoped that the absence of necrotic tissue would allow the bone to heal.
The vet said that bones start to heal (correctly or not) very quickly in birds, and that if the treatment is done late, then it may still result in a non-union, like what happened to Hercules. But unlike Hercules, surgery cannot be attempted at this point, because she has 2 fractures, very close to each other, and the operation would probably just shatter the bone. Not feeling well She's having her dressing changed, and she is to continue with her meds and supplements until either the bone knits eventually or it definitely doesn't, in which case the leg will have to be amputated. Very sad

Please send positive healing thoughts her way. She's a brave little trooper. Halo has a broken leg 983488
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Halo has a broken leg   Halo has a broken leg Icon_minitimeFri Mar 04, 2011 4:01 pm

Thanks for the update on Halo, Teresa.
I am so sorry the news isn't more favorable. Very sad

I will definitely continue with the 'special' positive thoughts for the little darling. Circle of Love
And a BIG Universal hug to you both.
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: Halo has a broken leg   Halo has a broken leg Icon_minitimeFri Mar 04, 2011 4:04 pm

Poor little thing. They do okay with just one leg though and it helps if the amputation can leave even a bit of a stump.
Back to top Go down
AnnieBirdy
Special Pigeon Angel
AnnieBirdy

PostSubject: Re: Halo has a broken leg   Halo has a broken leg Icon_minitimeSat Mar 05, 2011 5:37 am

Poor Halo. I really hope her leg can be fixed. However, even if it does have to come off, animals have that unique lack of self-pity, and the ability to adapt and make the best of what they have got Halo has a broken leg 142829 And how blessed she is to be in such caring, loving hands. She can only win, no matter what the outcome Halo has a broken leg 395766
Back to top Go down
http://www.precious-wings.com
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Halo has a broken leg   Halo has a broken leg Icon_minitimeSat Mar 05, 2011 8:23 am

I agree Annie. Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Halo has a broken leg   Halo has a broken leg Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Halo has a broken leg
Page 1 of 6Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next