Pigeon Angels
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pigeon Angels

RegisterSearchLatest imagesHomeLog in
At this time Pigeon Angels forum is in an archive status. For assistance please log into Pigeon Angels Facebook by clicking the following link. Thank You https://www.facebook.com/groups/176239232007/?hc_location=stream

Halo has a broken leg

Go down 
+8
pigeonwriter
Jackie\'s Mom
AnnieBirdy
EgypSwiftLady
Matilda
NiteOwl
AZWhitefeather
Teresa
12 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

Halo has a broken leg - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Halo has a broken leg   Halo has a broken leg - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 05, 2011 2:53 pm

Thank you for your words of support. Thank You
It's good to know that they are resilient, but I've also read before that losing one leg will considerably shorten the lifespan of a bird,because of the strain it puts on the other leg and the rib cage.

However, I got a message from Reti that gave me new hope: she told me how one of her rescues with a non-union had her leg saved by cutting a little off the fractured bone ends and screwing them together so they were in contact. After that, the bone set, and although the pigeon had one leg shorter than the other it managed to walk pretty well.
I'm going to phone the vets and investigate this course of action with them, as it seems that the sooner it's done the better, before the bone gives up trying to knit.

Fingers crossed Fingers crossed Fingers crossed Fingers crossed Fingers crossed
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Halo has a broken leg   Halo has a broken leg - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 05, 2011 5:30 pm

Please keep us posted, Teresa. Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.pigeonangels.com
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Halo has a broken leg   Halo has a broken leg - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 05, 2011 8:13 pm

Halo sitting pretty...

Halo has a broken leg - Page 2 DSCNB8350-r550
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: Halo has a broken leg   Halo has a broken leg - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 05, 2011 9:26 pm

The suggestion Dobato made to put her on a donut shape was a good one I thought. Might give her more support.
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Halo has a broken leg   Halo has a broken leg - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 05, 2011 10:59 pm

What a sweet picture, Teresa. Smile
Halo is a little beauty. Happy Dance
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Halo has a broken leg   Halo has a broken leg - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 05, 2011 11:21 pm

Matilda wrote:
The suggestion Dobato made to put her on a donut shape was a good one I thought. Might give her more support.

It worked very well for a while, she was comfortable and preening, then she started fidgetting, hopping this way and that to find a better position, catching her leg on the donut and getting stressed. So I ended up taking it out again, and she immediately lay down and went to sleep.

Oh no I have NO idea

Any idea why that happened? Could it be because her leg is bound so straight that she finds it easier to lie on a flat surface?
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Halo has a broken leg   Halo has a broken leg - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 05, 2011 11:41 pm

Teresa wrote:
Matilda wrote:

It worked very well for a while, she was comfortable and preening, then she started fidgetting, hopping this way and that to find a better position, catching her leg on the donut and getting stressed. So I ended up taking it out again, and she immediately lay down and went to sleep.

Oh no I have NO idea

Any idea why that happened? Could it be because her leg is bound so straight that she finds it easier to lie on a flat surface?

That's quite possible.
Whatever the reason, she must have felt more comfortable outside the donut. What a little sweetie. Halo has a broken leg - Page 2 983488
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Halo has a broken leg   Halo has a broken leg - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 05, 2011 11:46 pm

She is! Tickled Pink Wish you could see her now, she looks so cosy! But I don't want to startle her with the camera...
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Halo has a broken leg   Halo has a broken leg - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 05, 2011 11:53 pm

Teresa wrote:
She is! Tickled Pink Wish you could see her now, she looks so cosy! But I don't want to startle her with the camera...

Little angel. Pigeon angel
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Halo has a broken leg   Halo has a broken leg - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 12, 2011 9:54 pm

Halo got her dressing changed today, after I noticed her foot was a bit swollen last night. The bandage was put on more loosely, so I hope she doesn't wiggle out of it. Fingers crossed
There doesn't appear to be any major development as far as the break is concerned. We'll just have to wait and see. But the vet was very pleased with the improvement on the poop department.
Back to top Go down
Jackie\'s Mom
Special Pigeon Angel
Jackie\'s Mom

PostSubject: Re: Halo has a broken leg   Halo has a broken leg - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 13, 2011 8:56 am

Teresa.........I'm glad to hear that Halo is doing as well as can be expected at this point. Halo has a broken leg - Page 2 395766

I'm praying that amputation will not be necessary. Fingers crossed

Thanks for the update.

Louise
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Halo has a broken leg   Halo has a broken leg - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 13, 2011 8:59 am

Teresa wrote:
Halo got her dressing changed today, after I noticed her foot was a bit swollen last night. The bandage was put on more loosely, so I hope she doesn't wiggle out of it. Fingers crossed
There doesn't appear to be any major development as far as the break is concerned. We'll just have to wait and see.
But the vet was very pleased with the improvement on the poop department.

Appreciate the update, Teresa.
We'll take any improvement we can get. Celebrate

Will continue to send positive thoughts your way.
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Halo has a broken leg   Halo has a broken leg - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 13, 2011 6:34 pm

Thank you, Louise and Cindy! Thanks
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Halo has a broken leg   Halo has a broken leg - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 26, 2011 8:31 am

I've just taken a break from DIY Having a bad day to take Halo to the vet's for another X-ray. I'll be picking her up in the evening, and I hope it will be good news! Fingers crossed Fingers crossed Fingers crossed Fingers crossed Fingers crossed Fingers crossed Fingers crossed Fingers crossed Fingers crossed Fingers crossed
Back to top Go down
NiteOwl
Special Pigeon Angel
NiteOwl

PostSubject: Re: Halo has a broken leg   Halo has a broken leg - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 26, 2011 2:29 pm

Hoping that you get a good report back.
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Halo has a broken leg   Halo has a broken leg - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 26, 2011 7:24 pm

We're halfway there!!! Thrilled Thrilled Thrilled

And I'm not even going to apologise for sounding like Bon Jovi... Halo has a broken leg - Page 2 46723

The uppermost fracture is practically set Happy Dance and the other one is showing considerable progress!

She's off all meds now, just enjoying the rest and taking a probiotic. She's also finally allowed grit and a pickstone. And she's busy preening at the moment!

Happy Dance Happy Dance Happy Dance Happy Dance Happy Dance Happy Dance Happy Dance
Back to top Go down
NiteOwl
Special Pigeon Angel
NiteOwl

PostSubject: Re: Halo has a broken leg   Halo has a broken leg - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 26, 2011 7:34 pm

Oh that's wonderful news! Good for you Halo! I'm so glad that she's doing so well. Thanks for the update.
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Halo has a broken leg   Halo has a broken leg - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 26, 2011 8:47 pm

YESS!! Happy Dance YESS!! Thrilled YESS!! Happy Dance
Way To Go
to you and Halo
You both have done a tremendous job.

Thanks
for the wonderful update, Teresa.

Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Halo has a broken leg   Halo has a broken leg - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 26, 2011 9:02 pm

Thank you, Jay and Cindy! Thank You circling Tickled Pink cheers
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Halo has a broken leg   Halo has a broken leg - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 31, 2011 9:33 pm

Halo must be feeling much better, because she's been cooing at the boys... Wink Laughing
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Halo has a broken leg   Halo has a broken leg - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 31, 2011 11:40 pm

Teresa wrote:
Halo must be feeling much better, because she's been cooing at the boys... Wink Laughing

YESS!! Happy Dance
Back to top Go down
EgypSwiftLady
Special Pigeon Angel
EgypSwiftLady

PostSubject: Re: Halo has a broken leg   Halo has a broken leg - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 01, 2011 8:11 am

Teresa wrote:

Thats great tp hear Teresa! Great job
Back to top Go down
http://www.ironwolffarmsanctuary.com
NiteOwl
Special Pigeon Angel
NiteOwl

PostSubject: Re: Halo has a broken leg   Halo has a broken leg - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 01, 2011 3:04 pm

Teresa wrote:

Well that's always a good sign. That's too funny
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Halo has a broken leg   Halo has a broken leg - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 01, 2011 6:18 pm

Thank You circling

She's very alert, and very confident. She doesn't particularly like being handled, but neither is she scared of me. And she's started to recognise her name, clever girl!

Just a moment ago she started cooing at Hercules again... Oh brother I had to point out to her that he's spoken for!

Yesterday she made a couple of attempts to stand on both legs Happy Dance which left me very hopeful! Fingers crossed
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Halo has a broken leg   Halo has a broken leg - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 01, 2011 8:09 pm

Teresa wrote:
Thank You circling

She's very alert, and very confident. She doesn't particularly like being handled, but neither is she scared of me. And she's started to recognise her name, clever girl!

Just a moment ago she started cooing at Hercules again... Oh brother I had to point out to her that he's spoken for!

Yesterday she made a couple of attempts to stand on both legs Happy Dance which left me very hopeful! Fingers crossed

YESS!! That's great news, Teresa. Halo has a broken leg - Page 2 395766
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Halo has a broken leg   Halo has a broken leg - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Halo has a broken leg
Page 2 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next