Pigeon Angels
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pigeon Angels

RegisterSearchLatest imagesHomeLog in
At this time Pigeon Angels forum is in an archive status. For assistance please log into Pigeon Angels Facebook by clicking the following link. Thank You https://www.facebook.com/groups/176239232007/?hc_location=stream

Halo has a broken leg

Go down 
+8
pigeonwriter
Jackie\'s Mom
AnnieBirdy
EgypSwiftLady
Matilda
NiteOwl
AZWhitefeather
Teresa
12 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

Halo has a broken leg - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Halo has a broken leg   Halo has a broken leg - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat May 28, 2011 7:24 am

Halo has made such a wonderful recovery thus far, Teresa. Pigeon angel
I'm sure will get to the point where she can once again live life on the 'wild' side.
It sounds like she's really anxious to do so.
Will keep my fngers crossed that happens real soon. Fingers crossed
Back to top Go down
http://www.pigeonangels.com
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Halo has a broken leg   Halo has a broken leg - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun May 29, 2011 5:51 pm

She had extra time out of the cage today, and with more of the others than before. She enjoyed the company of the girls -- Sammy, Pippin and Abby -- the unknown quantity, Venus, and George. George was trying to court Pippin and Halo Halo has a broken leg - Page 4 279675 while his partner Abby preened herself in an annoyed way, and Venus hid in a plant pot and watched the goings on below from the gaps between the leaves... Laughing
After a while I put Abby and George in my study, Venus in her/his cage, and Sammy, Pippin and Halo had a relaxing time together. I took a pic of the three of them together, but couldn't get a video of Halo walking, because as soon as I started recording, she stood absolutely still... Oh brother
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Halo has a broken leg   Halo has a broken leg - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue May 31, 2011 9:53 pm

This is the video I mentioned in my previous post. Halo is quite still, but at least you can see how well she stands and interacts with the others.
Halo is the one at the back. The one in the foreground is Pippin and, in the middle, stargazing Very sad because of all the excitement, is Sammy.

But in this photo you can see her standing in a plant pot, with her bad leg facing the camera, actually putting her weight on it! Great job
From nearest to furthest from the camera: Sammy, Pippin, Halo and Venus.

Halo has a broken leg - Page 4 DSCNB9098-r450
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Halo has a broken leg   Halo has a broken leg - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 01, 2011 12:06 am

Thanks so much for sharing the video and picture, Teresa. Thank You
Halo is looking great. YESS!!

It is sad that all the excitement prompted Sammy's stargazing. Very sad
Does she seem to recover pretty quickly when things calm down?

Halo and Venus look so cute in the flower pots. Halo has a broken leg - Page 4 46723
Halo looks like she has a pretty good grip on that pot. Halo has a broken leg - Page 4 142829
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Halo has a broken leg   Halo has a broken leg - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 01, 2011 9:20 am

Yes, I was delighted to see what a good grip Halo got on that plant pot! Her toes point to the side a bit, but she's coping very well, and teaching herself to do all the familiar movements in a slightly new way. Halo has a broken leg - Page 4 142829

Sammy is very fragile, she always was. The vet believed there was some brain damage in addition to the PMV, and didn't expect her to have survived this far, in fact I had been told she probably wouldn't reach adulthood.
She only relaxes somewhat when she's in her cage with Pippin and nothing special is happening. Changing their food, grit or water, or changing the position of anything in her cage, brings about a seizure, although they're very short-lived. Any excitement, even positive, and the result is the same. She still walks backwards into things very often, not only that but keeps pushing backwards into objects, and her tail feathers are always getting damaged. She still needs an extra deep feeder, a gravity water dispenser where she can fit 2/3 of her beak but no more, and only has 1/4" deep bathwater.
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Halo has a broken leg   Halo has a broken leg - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 24, 2011 7:54 pm

Update on Halo Halo has a broken leg - Page 4 373410
Short video of Halo exercising with Achilles. Just look at her go!!! Celebrate Celebrate Celebrate

Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Halo has a broken leg   Halo has a broken leg - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 24, 2011 8:49 pm

YESS!! Bless her heart.
She's doing wonderfully. Thrilled
Back to top Go down
pigeonwriter
Special Pigeon Angel
pigeonwriter

PostSubject: Re: Halo has a broken leg   Halo has a broken leg - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 26, 2011 12:53 pm

Oh my Teresa - what can I say again - only that you are the true pigeon angel in persona Pigeon angel Pigeon angel Pigeon angel Pigeon angel

It is heartwarming to see how these little feathered angels enjoy their life together no matter what they have been suffering. This again is for me a role model for all those days where I feel bad. These birds give us so much to think about and help us to recognize the relativity of all things. Bless their little hearts.

pigeon 1 pigeon 1 pigeon 1 Halo has a broken leg - Page 4 35455 Halo has a broken leg - Page 4 35455 Halo has a broken leg - Page 4 35455
Back to top Go down
http://www.vyala-arts.com
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Halo has a broken leg   Halo has a broken leg - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 26, 2011 9:20 pm

Thank you, Cindy and Petra! Thank You

You're so right, they are great role models with their courage and their determination! Star quality
And seeing them succeed and get well makes the world seem a much better place! Halo has a broken leg - Page 4 142829
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Halo has a broken leg   Halo has a broken leg - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 23, 2011 9:50 pm

Halo has full-blown canker! Disappointed

I thought she was very quiet this morning, and a bit fluffed-up, and when I examined her I found an unmistakable lesion on the roof of her mouth -- two days after she finished a full course (10 days) of preventative canker treatment with Berimax. I am SO not impressed! And guess what, I found a pigeon fly on her, despite the Ivermectin! Seeing red/mad

She's on quarentine, on TMS and Flagyl, and I'm hand feeding her peas and corn, just in case she can't process the seeds properly (same as the new rescue, who's been in a separate room all along).
Achilles, her mate shows no symptoms, so I wonder if the Berimax worked for him, but I'm keeping a close eye on him. He's flying, by the way, now he's almost finished moulting! Celebrate

I destroyed all the accessories, including the nest, that couldn't be soaked in bleach and reused, so I spent whatever free time I had refitting the cage. By 1am it was done, and Achilles could go back home (he grumbled a lot, I think he could get used to having the whole room to himself! Laughing )

Better go now, as I start work in 4 hours' time. Serious EEK!!
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Halo has a broken leg   Halo has a broken leg - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 24, 2011 7:35 pm

Halo looks very sick.
Either the food is going through her too fast to process the (liquid) meds, or something else is at play. I'm tube feeding her formula and apple sauce, only 8-10ml at a time. The canker lesion hasn't shrunk at all.
I'm taking her to the vet's tomorrow. I think she needs injectable meds.
Back to top Go down
joyful_pigeon
Special Pigeon Angel
joyful_pigeon

PostSubject: Re: Halo has a broken leg   Halo has a broken leg - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 24, 2011 10:13 pm

Aww, I'm so sorry about Halo, Teresa!! I don't understand how she could get canker if you were treating her?! confused That's a real puzzle. Maybe you can get your money back from those meds! Evil, wrong doing

Sending healing thoughts Halo's way. Halo has a broken leg - Page 4 983488 Halo has a broken leg - Page 4 983488 She seems like a real fighter, & I hope she recovers soon.
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Halo has a broken leg   Halo has a broken leg - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 25, 2011 4:06 pm

Oh dear!! I am so sorry to hear about Halo, Teresa. Very sad

Will be thinking, and sending, positive thoughts that she recovers quickly. Fingers crossed
Please let us know what the vet has to say.
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Halo has a broken leg   Halo has a broken leg - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 25, 2011 5:07 pm

Thank you both so much, from Halo and from me! Thanks

Unfortunately I was right, the meds were going straight through her and having little effect. Last night, after my previous post, she vomitted again and again, two days' worth of food, it seemed! Serious EEK!! I kept giving her hydrating solution and small amounts of apple sauce, and started her on Nystatin. This morning she vomitted once more, but that seemed to be the last of it. After that she was keeping her apple sauce and watery formula down, and looked a bit perkier.
This morning's poops were a little more solid, with separate components, but the urates were yellowish.

I took her to the vet's after lunch, when the avian vet was in. Dr. Ana Luisa is wonderful with my pigeons, so caring! Feeling great She agreed it was best to switch her to injectable Baytril and give plenty of sub-q fluids, and she's continuing with the Flagyl.
I was also worried about the fact she'd never laid any eggs, in spite of having a mate, and the doctor agreed to taking an abdominal X-ray. There was nothing alarming about the oviduct etc, but her liver is enlarged. She had already shown symptoms of liver/intestinal problems when I first rescued her, and she may even have been born like that, but that makes her very vulnerable and she always has to be closely monitored.
The vet also took swabs, and there was clear evidence of pathogenic bacteria and fungus. It was also worrying just how much weight she lost in the last couple of days. Disappointed

I don't know what I would do without my vet. Even when you try to keep everything you're going to need at hand, there's always the stumbling block of needing injectable meds and fluid for birds with severe diarrhea. But she's in great hands! Halo has a broken leg - Page 4 142829

I'm to phone up tomorrow afternoon to see how she's progressing and when I can bring her back.

PS. The Berimax is an orange and grapefruit extract, and I'm starting to wonder if it isn't simply a very expensive alternative to ACV. In this case, it totally led me into a false sense of security, in that I believed that my pigeons were protected against canker, when they weren't. I will certainly not be endorsing it as an alternative to Flagyl!
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Halo has a broken leg   Halo has a broken leg - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 25, 2011 5:13 pm

I forgot to say, one of the first things the vet did was to pump her crop, to get rid of any sour liquid and food residues.
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Halo has a broken leg   Halo has a broken leg - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 26, 2011 9:48 am

Halo is coming home this evening! Happy Dance Happy Dance Happy Dance

I'll do a proper update later.
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Halo has a broken leg   Halo has a broken leg - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 26, 2011 8:33 pm

Woo hoo Woo hoo
I'm so glad Halo is doing well enough to come home. Thrilled
Will be looking forward to your update.
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Halo has a broken leg   Halo has a broken leg - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 27, 2011 7:34 am

Halo is back, but she's still very fragile, so weak that she keeps overbalancing.
At the moment she's all puffed up in her cage (even with the heating pad), looking sleepy and miserable. She's still producing starvation poops with yellow urates.
I'm quite sure that if my vet had been on holiday, she wouldn't be alive now.

So what was wrong? Lots:

- The swabs of the crop and the lesion on the roof of her mouth tested positive for trichomonas, fungi and bacteria. (So much for Berimax...)

- Her liver is enlarged, and its function somewhat impaired. The vet said the yellow urates are related to this.

- 'Just in case' she was given an Ivermectin injection... and passed the longest roundworm I've ever seen!!! Shock (She had had oral Ivermectin a month ago, but the vet said one egg must have survived).*

- The crop wash was done with Chlorexidine, which has antifungal properties. When it was done she still had a couple of peas and corn in the crop, 2 or 3 days old. Serious EEK!!

There haven't been any major changes to her meds, except that she's having Baytril instead of TMS, and she's also having an anti-emetic (Primperan) twice a day to minimise the chances of vomiting. She's carrying on with the Flagyl for a further 10 days.
As for the Nystatin, we've hit a brick wall: I've only got enough for one more take, and it's out of stock at the manufacturers, even the vet can't get any. I'll have to keep scouring the smaller pharmacies, to see if by chance they have some left on the shelves, but in the meanwhile the vet said to watch her closely and take her right back if there's any repeat of the sour crop, to take a stronger fungicide. (Let's hope not, as that would be a strain on her weak liver).

I've been given the green light to start giving her some small seeds, but I'm too scared they would linger in her crop. Especially because the vomiting reflex is damped by the Primperan, and any warning might come too late. So for now it's 12ml formula+apple sauce 5 times a day.

* The vet is coming over here on Wednesday to inject ALL of my pigeons.
Back to top Go down
pigeonwriter
Special Pigeon Angel
pigeonwriter

PostSubject: Re: Halo has a broken leg   Halo has a broken leg - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 27, 2011 11:27 am

Teresa - I am so sorry to hear about Halo's bad condition. Sending you healing thoughts for her and strength to get through this. Sounds really awful Very sad Very sad

Universal hug Universal hug Universal hug
Back to top Go down
pigeonwriter
Special Pigeon Angel
pigeonwriter

PostSubject: Re: Halo has a broken leg   Halo has a broken leg - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 27, 2011 11:42 am

Oh I forgot to add: I fully understand your disappointment about the Berimax. I know how much effort you put into getting this med. As you know I am often reluctant to use the "hard stuff" on "my" pigeons but regarding canker there is apparently no alternative to the known meds. What a shame!!!
I really really hope that Halo is recovering soon after she had made such good progress with her leg. Poor little girl - get well soon again!!!! Halo has a broken leg - Page 4 983488 Halo has a broken leg - Page 4 983488 Halo has a broken leg - Page 4 983488
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Halo has a broken leg   Halo has a broken leg - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 27, 2011 6:07 pm

She's better, visibly better!!! Happy Dance Happy Dance Happy Dance

No longer fluffed up, unless she's asleep, and she even complained about being picked up for the 5th time today! Halo has a broken leg - Page 4 46723
I hope it wasn't just a one-off, but the last poops had cream-coloured urates, not yellow! Hip Hip Hooray

Thank you, Cindy and Petra, for your good wishes. I'm sure that the guardian angels that look after all good little pidgies were listening! Thank You
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Halo has a broken leg   Halo has a broken leg - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 27, 2011 6:13 pm

I'm so glad that Halo is doing better. YESS!! Thrilled

Will continue with the positive thoughts. Universal hug
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Halo has a broken leg   Halo has a broken leg - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 28, 2011 12:39 pm

Thank you, Cindy! Feeling great

It wasn't an illusion, her urates really are much paler! Great job Solid matter is still dark green and a bit mucousy.
Last night she managed 13ml of formula, so today I tried the same again. She's had 3x13ml meals, one more to go.
She can hold herself upright much better. Fingers crossed
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Halo has a broken leg   Halo has a broken leg - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 29, 2011 6:49 pm

A bad day today! Having a bad day

The food is not moving through her as it should. By morning I saw that she had vomited a little again and she was looking fluffed up once more. It's been a battle against the slow crop all day. What a time to run out of Nystatin... Disappointed
May have to take her back to the vet's tomorrow. Very sad
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Halo has a broken leg   Halo has a broken leg - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 30, 2011 6:27 am

She's better! Feeling great The crop is moving again!!!

Fingers crossed Fingers crossed Fingers crossed Fingers crossed Fingers crossed Fingers crossed
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Halo has a broken leg   Halo has a broken leg - Page 4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Halo has a broken leg
Page 4 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next