Pigeon Angels
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pigeon Angels

RegisterSearchLatest imagesHomeLog in
At this time Pigeon Angels forum is in an archive status. For assistance please log into Pigeon Angels Facebook by clicking the following link. Thank You https://www.facebook.com/groups/176239232007/?hc_location=stream

Halo has a broken leg

Go down 
+8
pigeonwriter
Jackie\'s Mom
AnnieBirdy
EgypSwiftLady
Matilda
NiteOwl
AZWhitefeather
Teresa
12 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

Halo has a broken leg - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Halo has a broken leg   Halo has a broken leg - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 30, 2011 8:03 am

Oh my goodness!!
Halo is having a heck of a time. Very sad

I'm glad she's doing better. Halo has a broken leg - Page 5 116281
Keeping fingers crossed that she continues to improve. Fingers crossed
Back to top Go down
http://www.pigeonangels.com
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Halo has a broken leg   Halo has a broken leg - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 30, 2011 3:00 pm

She's kept her food down all day, and she's pooping alright! Thrilled
Earlier on she started preening, and when I gave the other pigeons their evening meal she got all excited and wanted some too! Halo has a broken leg - Page 5 46723
But she's not having any seeds, not yet!

Charis sent me a detailed feeding regime which I'm following to the letter, and it's working really well:
It's apple sauce today (5cc apple sauce+2cc warm water per meal), and she's had 6 meals already, one more to go. 15 minutes before each meal she has a drop of Primperan (equivalent to Pepto Bismol).
Tomorrow she can have baby rice cereal and apple sauce.
The day after tomorrow I can start introducing formula.
All the way through she's continuing with the Baytril and the Flagyl.

I checked another two pharmacies today for Nystatin, but it's out of stock at national level. However, now her crop is emptying properly, I do believe the worst is past and she's well on the way to recovery.

Happy Dance Happy Dance Happy Dance Happy Dance Happy Dance Happy Dance Happy Dance
Back to top Go down
pigeonwriter
Special Pigeon Angel
pigeonwriter

PostSubject: Re: Halo has a broken leg   Halo has a broken leg - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 01, 2011 2:26 am

Hip Hip Hooray Hip Hip Hooray Hip Hip Hooray Hip Hip Hooray Hip Hip Hooray Hip Hip Hooray Hip Hip Hooray

I am sooooooo glad to hear that Halo is on the good way. I will keep fingers crossed - as always. Sending you and the little patient much love!!!

Universal hug Universal hug Universal hug Universal hug Universal hug
Back to top Go down
http://www.vyala-arts.com
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Halo has a broken leg   Halo has a broken leg - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 01, 2011 7:58 am

She's on 8ml formula+apple sauce today, and keeping it down, but the crop is still slow to empty and she's a little fluffed up, so I keep monitoring her. However, she runs away from me pretty fast when I open the door to give her the meds, so that's a good sign.

Her poops are still starvation poops, dark bright green, no visible urates, surrounded by a little halo of liquid with a slight greenish tinge. She's having 2-3ml warm water 15 minutes before meals, followed by the anti-emetic.
She's still on Flagyl and Baytril.

She has passed 3 small canker 'stones', and the one on the roof of her mouth has detached. But there's still one on the lower part of her beak, and I'm sure there are also more still in her crop. I hope they come out soon.

Fingers crossed Fingers crossed Fingers crossed Fingers crossed Fingers crossed Fingers crossed
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Halo has a broken leg   Halo has a broken leg - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 01, 2011 2:24 pm

YESS!!
Three cheers for Halo for being able to keep her food down.
Hip Hip Hooray Hip Hip Hooray Hip Hip Hooray
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Halo has a broken leg   Halo has a broken leg - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 01, 2011 4:54 pm

Thank you, Petra and Cindy! Thank You

She's just had her last meal for today, 4ml formula + 4ml apple sauce. She's looking comfortable and has settled down on the heating pad.
I'm still concerned about the starvation poops with no separate urates, but she doesn't look at all dehydrated and she's quite alert.
I hope there's no lasting internal organ damage and that she'll continue to improve. Smile
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Halo has a broken leg   Halo has a broken leg - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 02, 2011 7:40 am

Teresa wrote:
Thank you, Petra and Cindy! Thank You

She's just had her last meal for today, 4ml formula + 4ml apple sauce. She's looking comfortable and has settled down on the heating pad.
I'm still concerned about the starvation poops with no separate urates, but she doesn't look at all dehydrated and she's quite alert.
I hope there's no lasting internal organ damage and that she'll continue to improve. Smile

No sign of urates is a case to be concerned. Disappointed I hope she starts producing some soon. Fingers crossed
Is she drinking at all on her own?

Please keep us posted.
Back to top Go down
pigeonwriter
Special Pigeon Angel
pigeonwriter

PostSubject: Re: Halo has a broken leg   Halo has a broken leg - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 03, 2011 11:45 am

Teresa - I cannot remember whether you have ever said anything about it but have you ever used Spartrix for the canker patients?

Sending more healing power thoughts for little Halo and much love to you!!!
Universal hug Universal hug Universal hug Universal hug Universal hug
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Halo has a broken leg   Halo has a broken leg - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 03, 2011 3:37 pm

I have tried to get it several times (including through a Portuguese friend of Plamen's, but no luck.
However, it may be just as well, as recent studies show it as being one of the least effective treatments for very virulent strains of canker:

(This article is amazing!)

Canker, by Dr. Karl Frank: http://www.albertaclassic.net/trichomonas/trichomonas.php

PS. Silly old me, you already know this!!! I just found the same link, provided by you, in the 'Symptoms and Treatment' section!

Last edited by Teresa on Sat Sep 03, 2011 4:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Halo has a broken leg   Halo has a broken leg - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 03, 2011 3:44 pm

Halo is a lot better. Great job I thought I'd start by saying that, because she's passed alarming stuff today:

First thing this morning, I found what looked like a hydrated dried pea in her poo. (Unless it's canker, but I photographed it). Please note the last time she'd eaten dried peas was 12 days ago!!!!!!!!! Serious EEK!!

After her first feed, she passed another one, identical, and another, kidney-shaped one, 2cm (almost an inch) long!!!!!! It reminded me of a photo posted by Charis that nobody could identify.

She's MUCH BETTER! She's on formula now, managing 12ml per feed, and I have now reduced the dosage of Flagyl to 'maintenance' level -- i.e., as per prescription. The small lesion in her beak is working loose, it's barely attached now.

Pics later, after humans and beasties have all had their last feed. Laughing
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Halo has a broken leg   Halo has a broken leg - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 03, 2011 7:39 pm

I'm so glad to hear that Halo is steadily mproving. Halo has a broken leg - Page 5 116281 Halo has a broken leg - Page 5 142829
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Halo has a broken leg   Halo has a broken leg - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 03, 2011 9:20 pm

And here's the photo album:

25th August (just before she went to the vet's):

Halo has a broken leg - Page 5 DSCNB9706-r550-25-8

27th August:

Halo has a broken leg - Page 5 DSCNB9792-r550-27-8

Halo has a broken leg - Page 5 DSCNB9793-cr550-27-8

28th August:

Halo has a broken leg - Page 5 DSCNB9795-r550-28-8

Halo has a broken leg - Page 5 DSCNB9796-550-28-8

30th August:

Halo has a broken leg - Page 5 DSCNB9800-r550-30-8

31st August:

Halo has a broken leg - Page 5 DSCNB9805-r550-31-8

1st September:

Halo has a broken leg - Page 5 DSCNB9808-r550-1-9

2nd September:

Halo has a broken leg - Page 5 DSCNB9813-r550-2-9

3rd September -- She passed two strange masses, one that looked like a pea (8mm across) and another, that can be seen in this photo, that looks like a devil's embryo (20mm across):

Halo has a broken leg - Page 5 DSCNB9818-r550-3-9

The two masses she passed, actual size:

Halo has a broken leg - Page 5 DSCNB9821-cr520

Close-up of the smaller mass, cut in half:

Halo has a broken leg - Page 5 DSCNB9823-ccr469u

Close-up of the larger mass...

Halo has a broken leg - Page 5 DSCNB9819-cr524

... cut in half:

Halo has a broken leg - Page 5 DSCNB9825-cr700u

One relieved pigeon... Great job

Halo has a broken leg - Page 5 DSCNB9820-r550-3-9

Last edited by Teresa on Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
pigeonwriter
Special Pigeon Angel
pigeonwriter

PostSubject: Re: Halo has a broken leg   Halo has a broken leg - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 04, 2011 12:07 pm

Incredible photos Teresa - very gross but also very informative. What a brave little bird Halo is - sending healing prayers for her and lots of Universal hug Universal hug Universal hug Universal hug Universal hug Universal hug for you!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Halo has a broken leg   Halo has a broken leg - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 04, 2011 9:18 pm

Holy Cow Holy Cow Holy Cow Apparently they aren't canker nodules, but something even worse! Serious EEK!! Serious EEK!! Serious EEK!!

Matilda wrote:
I don’t think they are canker nodules but rather eggs that have backed up into her and kind of cooked from the heat in her body. They must have been stressing her out, bringing on a canker infection and making her feel very sick. They created a bit of a l blockage so the food couldn’t pass through her body.
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Halo has a broken leg   Halo has a broken leg - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 08, 2011 10:38 pm

This time yesterday Halo passed another embryo-shaped thing, fortunately not as big as the other one, but looking like it was going off... Not feeling well

That's the fifth now... Very sad

But she's getting stronger every day, my poor brave girl! Halo has a broken leg - Page 5 983488
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Halo has a broken leg   Halo has a broken leg - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 09, 2011 5:32 am

She passed a sixth early this morning.

But her appetite for seeds was finally rewarded, because I gave her a little bowl of very small seeds for breakfast. She ate well, and drank water all by herself.

Meanwhile I found an extraordinary article by Dr. Zsolt Talabér about eggs and developing embryos retained in the oviduct, which confirms precisely what these masses are:

WARNING -- graphic NECROPSY pictures: http://pigeonbooks.com/index.php?r=14&c=71&l=en

Back to top Go down
Rosa
Special Pigeon Angel
Rosa

PostSubject: Re: Halo has a broken leg   Halo has a broken leg - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 10, 2011 9:28 am

Teresa, first of all, THANK YOU SO MUCH for all this detailed info!

You know how hard it is to get info about pigeons, specialy here in our country (Portugal), even from the suposed "bird specialized" vets .... Halo has a broken leg - Page 5 Suspect

I hope Halo keeps getting better, and that her body rejects everything that is harming her. She must be suffering a lot, I'm incredibly amazed by her courage and the way she is attached to life, I'm sure it must have to do something with the fact that you love her and care so much for her! Halo has a broken leg - Page 5 789920 Pigeon angel

I can't leave without congratulating you once more, for the wonderful job you do everyday to help this poor angels! Great job, YOU rock Thank you. <3 I hope Halo expells everything and doesn't need the surgery, but if she does, I'll pray that everything goes well, and I'm sure it will, because for what you've told me so far, your doctor is really great! Big hug, Rosa

Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Halo has a broken leg   Halo has a broken leg - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 10, 2011 2:22 pm

Thank you so much, Rosa! Halo sends a little kissy peck! Halo has a broken leg - Page 5 983488 Laughing
Back to top Go down
joyful_pigeon
Special Pigeon Angel
joyful_pigeon

PostSubject: Re: Halo has a broken leg   Halo has a broken leg - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 10, 2011 8:42 pm

Wow, I cannot believe how much your little Halo has been through!! That's quite the ordeal, and you've taken such good care of her, Teresa... I'm glad to hear that she's feeling a lot better now. Halo has a broken leg - Page 5 35455
What a fighter! Circle of Love
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Halo has a broken leg   Halo has a broken leg - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 11, 2011 3:04 pm

Thank you, Joyful_Pigeon! She's a little fighter, alright!

She's continuing to improve, and today was a big day because she managed a whole 17ml of formula in one feed! Halo has a broken leg - Page 5 142829 She still looks a bit fluffed-up now and again, though the canker has gone, and that makes me fear there may still be more eggs to come.
She's going back to the vet's this week, so I'll discuss the options with her, as obviously she mustn't produce any more eggs again.
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Halo has a broken leg   Halo has a broken leg - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 14, 2011 5:08 am

Two steps forward, one step back... Disappointed

The day before yesterday, Halo had some thawed frozen peas for dinner, and got her food bowl back with some small seeds. But considering the egg business, she restarted the Baytril, just in case, after 2 days on probiotics.
Then yesterday she had two feeds of 17ml formula, but it soon became apparent that not nearly enough poops were coming out. Her oviduct felt lumpy, as though there was another embryo there, and an egg behind it. She was looking fluffed-up and miserable again.

So off to the vet's we went yesterday evening. She had her second Ivermectin injection, which was due, got Primperan and sub-q fluids just in case, and had a check-up. She weighed in at only 252g, 3g less than three weeks ago, but that may actually have been a very slight improvement, considering the weight of the eggs she'd passed. We're not in the clear yet, but at least egg yolk peritonitis was ruled out.
The vet had another look at her X-rays, but of course the eggs and embryos weren't at all visible there, as no shells had formed, not even partially.

We discussed her options. The hysterectomy CAN be done, but not just yet, as the surgeon in charge of soft tissue microsurgery is on maternity leave. In case of an emergency, Halo could feasibly be taken to Porto veterinary hospital to have the surgery, but that's quite a distance away.
The hormone injections are also available, but the vet would prefer to see Halo stronger and free from infection before starting the course, as the treatment has side effects, the main one being a general depression of the immune system -- and given her fragility at the moment, that might do more harm than good. So we have both options on standby, but it's fairly certain that the surgery is the way to go, as soon as she's strong enough.

As soon as we got back she had her dinner, half formula and half apple sauce. Within minutes she had vomited everything, plus some peas and small seeds. Not feeling well
I gave her a couple of ml of warm water with ACV, then later tried 8ml apple sauce, followed 1/2 hour later by the Baytril. All of that she also vomited during the night, together with more peas...

This morning she vomited her breakfast, Not feeling well and stood shivering on top her her heating pad. So I took a deep breath, tube fed her 15ml warm saline and then, very carefully, sucked it back into the syringe. It looked quite clear, so she must have emptied her crop that last time.
I gave her the Primperan, waited 15 minutes and gave her 7ml warm apple sauce and 0.2ml Flagyl. That stayed down. Halo has a broken leg - Page 5 44767 She's also got a warmer nest, nice and snug over a hot water bottle, but she jumped out of it after 20 minutes, so I guess she isn't cold any more.

I'll keep you posted.
Back to top Go down
pigeonwriter
Special Pigeon Angel
pigeonwriter

PostSubject: Re: Halo has a broken leg   Halo has a broken leg - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 17, 2011 12:10 pm

Oh no Teresa - I am so sorry to hear about this ordeal you and Halo are going through. Those set backs are really awful, they tear on your nerves and on your heart. Stay brave though - Halo is doing the same otherwise she would have given up already. Believing that everything will have a good end will keep you both on track. Sending energy for you both, healing prayers for little Halo and sending love - much love...

Universal hug Universal hug Universal hug Universal hug Pigeon angel Universal hug Universal hug Universal hug Universal hug
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Halo has a broken leg   Halo has a broken leg - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 17, 2011 2:49 pm

Thank you, Petra, and thank you to Dr. Ana Luisa too, who phoned to discuss some supplements and to ask how Halo was doing.

My baby is improving step by step again Feeling great and she can now manage meals of 15ml or just over! Halo has a broken leg - Page 5 142829 She had a lovely warm bath this afternoon (she LOVES baths) after which she perked up a lot. The baths also help her to walk, because being rather splay-legged after her injury, she needs to get a firm grip to walk, but even with the right substrate, if she has dried poop on her nails she can slide.

Even though I can't feel any obstruction in her aesophagus, I have to be careful tube feeding because the tube 'found' a slight obstruction on the right of the aesophagus, and I have to ease it to the left a little at that point. I guess the dreaded canker hasn't all fallen off yet, and that other lesions may be lodged at the far end of the crop, waiting to come out.

I hate canker!!!! That and pigeon flies! Major Rant
Back to top Go down
pigeonwriter
Special Pigeon Angel
pigeonwriter

PostSubject: Re: Halo has a broken leg   Halo has a broken leg - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 18, 2011 11:10 am

Me too Teresa - canker and string injuries. Pigeon flies I haven't found so far and I hope I don't "meet" them. Today I had to free Micky from a bunch of hair she had around her foot - I noticed early enough so that no harm was done to her toes. People are just too careless to shake their carpets over the balustrade of their balconies so that the poor pijjies are always in jeopardyto catch something of the remnants Seeing red/mad Seeing red/mad .

Sending more good wishes for Halo - what a brave little pij she is!!! Halo has a broken leg - Page 5 983488 Halo has a broken leg - Page 5 983488 Halo has a broken leg - Page 5 983488 Halo has a broken leg - Page 5 983488
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Halo has a broken leg   Halo has a broken leg - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 18, 2011 2:00 pm

Thank you, Petra!

Well done on spotting the hair round Micky's foot! Way To Go I'm so glad it hadn't done any harm yet!
I couldn't agree more about how awful these injuries can be, and how easy to avoid, if only people were just a little more careful!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Halo has a broken leg   Halo has a broken leg - Page 5 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Halo has a broken leg
Page 5 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next