Pigeon Angels
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pigeon Angels

RegisterSearchLatest imagesHomeLog in
At this time Pigeon Angels forum is in an archive status. For assistance please log into Pigeon Angels Facebook by clicking the following link. Thank You https://www.facebook.com/groups/176239232007/?hc_location=stream

Dehydrated squeaker with scissor beak

Go down 
+4
EgypSwiftLady
AZWhitefeather
Jackie\'s Mom
Teresa
8 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

Dehydrated squeaker with scissor beak - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dehydrated squeaker with scissor beak   Dehydrated squeaker with scissor beak - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 18, 2010 9:21 am

I haven't tried to give him anything more solid than formula, as he's only recently stopped doing swallowing movements after eating, and I was worried there might still be canker out of sight, and more solid food wouldn't go through. The formula is about as thick as it can go before the syringe fails to pick it up properly and it gets full of air bubbles which are hard to get rid of.
His poops still look like oil paint, surrounded in a fair amount of liquid, but they're no longer bright dark green -- they're a dark greenish brown.
Just a moment ago I went to check on him (that was 3 hrs after lunch and 2 hrs after meds) and I was horrified to see he had vomited about 3 or 4 ml of the formula. But he doesn't smell like he's got sour crop, neither is there liquid in his crop. I think -- I hope, at any rate -- that happened because he had 18 ml in one go at his last meal, so I'm going to limit him to 15 ml X 4 meals, and for his next meal I'm just going to give him baby apple sauce. If he vomits again, will it be best to start him on Nystatin too?
Back to top Go down
Jackie\'s Mom
Special Pigeon Angel
Jackie\'s Mom

PostSubject: Re: Dehydrated squeaker with scissor beak   Dehydrated squeaker with scissor beak - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 18, 2010 9:45 am

Teresa.........I've had that happen with my canker birds as well. You are correct in giving smaller amounts more times a day. I would water up the formula a bit as well.

Dr. Hauck instructed me to add 2cc's of yogurt and a portion of baby applesauce directly mixed into the formula. This worked really well with Sweetie who also had the weird swallowing movements after feeding.

Your're doing a great job Way To Go These extreem canker cases, especially in the young ones really take a great deal of time to be resolved.

Louise
Dehydrated squeaker with scissor beak - Page 2 789920
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: Dehydrated squeaker with scissor beak   Dehydrated squeaker with scissor beak - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 18, 2010 9:49 am

Jackie's Mom wrote:
Teresa.........I've had that happen with my canker birds as well. You are correct in giving smaller amounts more times a day. I would water up the formula a bit as well.

Dr. Hauck instructed me to add 2cc's of yogurt and a portion of baby applesauce directly mixed into the formula. This worked really well with Sweetie who also had the weird swallowing movements after feeding.

Your're doing a great job Way To Go These extreem canker cases, especially in the young ones really take a great deal of time to be resolved.

Louise

I agree all around.
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Dehydrated squeaker with scissor beak   Dehydrated squeaker with scissor beak - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 18, 2010 1:33 pm

Yikes, I think he'd eaten plastic pellets -- or are those canker lesions??!
He vomited most of the apple sauce, right after I gave it to him! Not feeling well
Then I offered him warm water with honey in a container, and he threw up the rest of the apple sauce in it. :eek: I saw two small things, roughly the size of those small red lentils, floating in the water -- one yellow, the other white. They look like plastic. They certainly aren't anything that was in his food (not even the bits of cereal in the live yoghurt) or that he could have had access to in the house. I've never seen anything like that.
I photographed them and then I tried cutting them in half. It cut with the same resistance as hard plastic, and the cut surfaces are shiny. Surely canker lesions wouldn't be like that -- or would they?

I'm going to try to give him another few cc of warm apple sauce. Then I'll come back and upload the photos.
Poor Arislan! He's all hunched up, but he still pecks -- that's something...
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Dehydrated squeaker with scissor beak   Dehydrated squeaker with scissor beak - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 18, 2010 2:39 pm

Not feeling well Nothing is staying down, not the apple sauce (tried twice, first 8 ml then 5 ml), not even the electrolytes (tried twice too, first 6 ml then 5 ml), though the second time he was only sick about 4 minutes later, rather than immediately after. His meds are due in 2 hours' time, and I can't see him keeping anything down till then, let alone the meds. I just hope the last dose of meds went through...
Things don't look good. Disappointed
I'm teaching all morning tomorrow, so I can only take him to the vet's in the afternoon. And I don't know how I'm going to keep him from dehydrating till then...

Question Can canker obstructions be seen on X-ray or scan? And if so, can they be surgically removed?
Back to top Go down
Jackie\'s Mom
Special Pigeon Angel
Jackie\'s Mom

PostSubject: Re: Dehydrated squeaker with scissor beak   Dehydrated squeaker with scissor beak - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 18, 2010 2:50 pm

Teresa...........I can't say for certain, but I think what you saw were canker leisions. I had a bird that I removed with tweesers canker from the mouth and they were little balls, solid like a rock. I never tried to cut them open, so I can't say for sure.

If that is the case, I'm thinking that the meds are working and have loosened up the canker and they are now blocking her digestive track. This would cause vomiting. How do her poops look?

I would not try to give her anything else for awhile. Let's give her system a little rest. I would try to get the meds in her when they are due.

If you are not able to get her to keep anything down, you will need to have her hydrated sub q.

I have no idea if canker can be removed surgically.

Keep her warm and let her rest.

I'm having a current crisis with my new canker rescue as well. I'm going to Dr. Hauck in 2 hours from now.

I pray your little one will be allright. Fingers crossed Universal hug

Louise
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Dehydrated squeaker with scissor beak   Dehydrated squeaker with scissor beak - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 18, 2010 3:29 pm

Thank you, Louise, and very best wishes for your rescue!

Arislan's last poops are very mucous, with less distinction between solid and liquid phases, and the urates are yellowish. He's resting in his nest, over a heating pad. I'll give him the Flagyl at the usual time then, even if on an empty stomach. Let's hope it stays down. Fingers crossed
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Dehydrated squeaker with scissor beak   Dehydrated squeaker with scissor beak - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 18, 2010 4:07 pm

I hope everything goes well with the medication and it stays down, Teresa.

Back to top Go down
http://www.pigeonangels.com
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: Dehydrated squeaker with scissor beak   Dehydrated squeaker with scissor beak - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 18, 2010 4:52 pm

Do you have any Pepto Bismo? I know that Petra couldn't find any in Germany and so I don't know if you can. If so, give the bird a drop or two...wait 20 minutes or so and the medicine should stay down.
As far as removing canker, it can cause a fatal bleed.
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Dehydrated squeaker with scissor beak   Dehydrated squeaker with scissor beak - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 18, 2010 5:36 pm

He's had his 6 mg of Flagyl dissolved in the smallest amount of water possible, to make up 0.1 ml of solution. Ten minutes later he hadn't brought it up, so I put him back in his nest. Fingers crossed

A worrying development is that some white spots are visible in his mouth now. Can canker lesions be white? I would normaly associate white spots with a fungal infection. He had 0.15 ml Nystatin this morning and should have another dose now. I think I'll wait half an hour to an hour to allow the Flagyl to be absorbed and then give it a try.
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Dehydrated squeaker with scissor beak   Dehydrated squeaker with scissor beak - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 18, 2010 5:45 pm

Matilda wrote:
Do you have any Pepto Bismo? I know that Petra couldn't find any in Germany and so I don't know if you can. If so, give the bird a drop or two...wait 20 minutes or so and the medicine should stay down.

No, I don't have any, and I don't think we have it over here either. Do you know the composition? Because I know I can get an anti-emetic for humans which was prescribed for my dog once -- maybe that one would do, it's a case of working out the dosage.

Quote :
As far as removing canker, it can cause a fatal bleed.

Eek, that's out of the question, then. I knew we should never try to remove them, but I kinda hoped a surgeon would be able to do it safely.
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Dehydrated squeaker with scissor beak   Dehydrated squeaker with scissor beak - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 18, 2010 5:57 pm

Here are the pics of the two 'things' he vomited. They're about 3 mm across.

The first picture shows real size and colour:

Dehydrated squeaker with scissor beak - Page 2 DSCNB6997-r720

And the second one is the largest I could blow them up to. Their colour appears much darker because the contrast was cranked right up.

Dehydrated squeaker with scissor beak - Page 2 DSCNB7000-cccr400
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: Dehydrated squeaker with scissor beak   Dehydrated squeaker with scissor beak - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 18, 2010 6:04 pm

Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Dehydrated squeaker with scissor beak   Dehydrated squeaker with scissor beak - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 18, 2010 6:17 pm

Thanks, Charis! I've made a note of the composition and trade names and will take it to the chemist's first thing.

He's not keeping the meds down. When I picked him up to give him the Nystatin, there was a bit more sick in his nest, including the whitish, powdery patch that was the Flagyl solution. And as soon as I gave him the Nystatin, he started trying to heave up, so that won't last either. Having a bad day I'll have to ask the vet tomorrow to give him some sub q fluids.
Back to top Go down
Jackie\'s Mom
Special Pigeon Angel
Jackie\'s Mom

PostSubject: Re: Dehydrated squeaker with scissor beak   Dehydrated squeaker with scissor beak - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 18, 2010 6:20 pm

Teresa...........The primary ingredient of Pepto Bismol and what it is universally know as around the world is "Milk of Bismuth"

Louise
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Dehydrated squeaker with scissor beak   Dehydrated squeaker with scissor beak - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 18, 2010 6:28 pm

Thanks, Louise.
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: Dehydrated squeaker with scissor beak   Dehydrated squeaker with scissor beak - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 18, 2010 6:51 pm

He's likely beyond Pepto working... sub-Q fluids would be a good idea. Poor little guy and poor you...still recovering from being sick.
Back to top Go down
EgypSwiftLady
Special Pigeon Angel
EgypSwiftLady

PostSubject: Re: Dehydrated squeaker with scissor beak   Dehydrated squeaker with scissor beak - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 18, 2010 7:09 pm

So very soory to hear that this pij isn't doing any better. Very sad

Could the white spots in the mouth be a yeast infection? Hmmm
Back to top Go down
http://www.ironwolffarmsanctuary.com
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Dehydrated squeaker with scissor beak   Dehydrated squeaker with scissor beak - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 18, 2010 7:47 pm

He's weaker, doesn't peck me now when I pick him up, just wants to sleep.
Failing all else, I decided to give him 0.5 ml Fuller's Earth suspension. I've used it before as an antibiotic and anti-emetic, and there are claims well beyond that. It sure can't hurt. I hope he makes it.

Dehydrated squeaker with scissor beak - Page 2 Angelbabydove
Back to top Go down
Jackie\'s Mom
Special Pigeon Angel
Jackie\'s Mom

PostSubject: Re: Dehydrated squeaker with scissor beak   Dehydrated squeaker with scissor beak - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 18, 2010 7:55 pm

Teresa...........I am so very sorry that Arislan is not doing any better. Disappointed

I think I would let his system rest. I wouldn't try putting anything else into him for the night. The heaving and vomiting will only make him weaker and more dehydrated at this point.

Getting to the Vet for Sub-Q fluids I think should be the first and formost treatment. I'm sure your vet will know how to proceed from there.

I know exactly how you feel. It hurts so much to see these precious little birds suffering. Universal hug

Sending positive, healing thoughts and prayers to you both.

Louise
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: Dehydrated squeaker with scissor beak   Dehydrated squeaker with scissor beak - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 18, 2010 8:44 pm

Like Robin...I wonder about the yeast.

I also agree with Louise that it would be better not to add anything else to the mix and to get him in for sub-Q fluids as soon as you can.

Poor little guy...I'm so sorry he's not doing well.
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Dehydrated squeaker with scissor beak   Dehydrated squeaker with scissor beak - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 18, 2010 10:03 pm

A special prayer for you and Arislan, Teresa
Dehydrated squeaker with scissor beak - Page 2 Angel_17
Back to top Go down
Chuck

PostSubject: Re: Dehydrated squeaker with scissor beak   Dehydrated squeaker with scissor beak - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 18, 2010 10:22 pm

Teresa,
I hope he pulls through.

Chuck
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Dehydrated squeaker with scissor beak   Dehydrated squeaker with scissor beak - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 19, 2010 4:18 am

Arislan has crossed the rainbow bridge. pigeon 1

Thank you for your special thoughts and prayers, I'm sure they will follow him in his flight. Dehydrated squeaker with scissor beak - Page 2 983488

(Charis and Robin, I thought about the yeast too -- hence the Nystatin).
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Dehydrated squeaker with scissor beak   Dehydrated squeaker with scissor beak - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 19, 2010 7:07 am

I am so sorry, Teresa. Very sad
Group hug

Dear sweet Arislan,
May you find peace as you cross over the Rainbow Bridge,
where you can now fly high and fly free.

pigeon 1 pigeon 1 pigeon 1

Dehydrated squeaker with scissor beak - Page 2 Angel_18

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dehydrated squeaker with scissor beak   Dehydrated squeaker with scissor beak - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Dehydrated squeaker with scissor beak
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Pigeon Angels :: Emergency Room :: Rescued pigeon, suspect Illness-
Jump to: