Pigeon Angels
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pigeon Angels

RegisterSearchLatest imagesHomeLog in
At this time Pigeon Angels forum is in an archive status. For assistance please log into Pigeon Angels Facebook by clicking the following link. Thank You https://www.facebook.com/groups/176239232007/?hc_location=stream

Pigeon with clipped wings

Go down 
5 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

Pigeon with clipped wings - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pigeon with clipped wings   Pigeon with clipped wings - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun May 22, 2011 10:47 pm

Teresa wrote:
I haven't changed the name yet, because she's been very vocal -- and sounds like a girl, and the mirror test was inconclusive: she wingslapped it, but then again she wingslaps EVERYTHING! That's too funny

The beak is still a worry, though. It grows alarmingly fast.

I've had to trim it twice more since that first time, and the third trim was 2 days ago. If it continues at this rate I won't be able to release her, as she wouldn't be able to forage on the ground... Disappointed

Pigeon with clipped wings - Page 2 46723

That's odd. Pigeon with clipped wings - Page 2 106767
Back to top Go down
http://www.pigeonangels.com
pigeonwriter
Special Pigeon Angel
pigeonwriter

PostSubject: Re: Pigeon with clipped wings   Pigeon with clipped wings - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon May 23, 2011 11:03 am

What a beautiful and proud bird, Teresa. What they did to this bird's wings is really awful though. It is so sad to see how the bird tried to fly and could not. This is pure cruelty even if it does not hurt but cruelty none-the-less.

That re-growing of the beak in that speed would irritate me also very much. Does not seem to be normal. Could this be caused by a wrong diet with too much calcium (from the former owner) in order to make the bird breed in shorter cycles? If that would be the case it is even a greater abomination... Seeing red/mad
Back to top Go down
http://www.vyala-arts.com
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Pigeon with clipped wings   Pigeon with clipped wings - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon May 23, 2011 1:01 pm

That's an interesting theory, Petra... Hmmm I wonder how long the effect of a calcium overdose would manifest itself before subsiding to normal levels... Question

I think I'll have to do some more research on this!
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Pigeon with clipped wings   Pigeon with clipped wings - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon May 23, 2011 10:45 pm

Teresa wrote:
* That's an interesting theory, Petra... Hmmm

** I wonder how long the effect of a calcium overdose would manifest itself before subsiding to normal levels... Question

I think I'll have to do some more research on this!

* That is an interesting theory. Hmmm

** Good thought to ponder. Pigeon with clipped wings - Page 2 106767

Keep us posted. Smile

Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Pigeon with clipped wings   Pigeon with clipped wings - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 03, 2011 7:30 pm

Breaking news: Venus IS a boy!!!
I should have trusted my instinct and gone for the name change earlier... Laughing

Today, during exercise time with Halo and Piper, he started bowing at Halo, but... well, Strophe bows at anything that moves (and coos like Hercules, but with a higher pitch) and she's a girl.
However... when I brought Hercules into the room I let him exercise with the others. Under close supervision, of course, as I didn't want him to try to attack the others.
Hercules, always one for playing the field, decided to bow at Halo. Big mistake!!! Venus took a flying leap at him with such rage, I couldn't believe my eyes! Pigeon with clipped wings - Page 2 279675 Pigeon with clipped wings - Page 2 279675 Pigeon with clipped wings - Page 2 279675 He actually scared Hercules, who flew away to the top of the bookshelf, can you believe that?!

And before you worry, no harm came to Hercules, because Venus's big curved beak can't inflict any injury. But what a brave bird! I suppose I'll also have to edit out the word 'tame' on this thread... That's too funny
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Pigeon with clipped wings   Pigeon with clipped wings - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 04, 2011 8:41 am

Sooo, Venus finally gives away 'his' true identity. YESS!!

I'll bet Hercules was shocked at Venus' response. Shock
It looks like he now has a little competition.
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: New name   Pigeon with clipped wings - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 04, 2011 6:50 pm

It sure does!
I've been (cautiously) trying to get them to spend some time in groups, to see if they can live together as a little flock, in the hope that one day they may have a proper loft. There's absolutely no chance at the moment, but there's no harm hoping for little miracles... Smile

Meanwhile, and after careful consideration, Soni and I decided to call Venus... Achilles!
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Pigeon with clipped wings   Pigeon with clipped wings - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 04, 2011 11:43 pm

I think having them spend some time as a group is a great idea. Pigeon with clipped wings - Page 2 142829
You never know, the more time they spend 'together' they more compatible they may become. Fingers crossed

Does the name 'Achilles' have a special meaning?
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Pigeon with clipped wings   Pigeon with clipped wings - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 05, 2011 7:43 pm

AZWhitefeather wrote:
I think having them spend some time as a group is a great idea. Pigeon with clipped wings - Page 2 142829
You never know, the more time they spend 'together' they more compatible they may become. Fingers crossed

Does the name 'Achilles' have a special meaning?

He was a greek hero, a legendary warrior with a small handicap (his heel), who fought in the conquest of Troy. This pigeon is a comparative fighter, I reckon, in spite of the handicap of his butchered flight feathers. It was the only possible name option for someone capable of tackling Hercules!!! That's too funny
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Pigeon with clipped wings   Pigeon with clipped wings - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 08, 2011 8:22 pm

I've been asking around for any advice/suggestions about Achilles's ever-growing beak.

Most people just keep trimming as needed, but an interesting proposal was to put the seed on an abrasive surface (like a paving stone or such) so he would file his beak as he eats. This had a mixed reception, especially concerning the danger of breaking a very crooked, long beak, but I may give it a try just after a trim, when the beak is shorter and less curved.
Waynette, however, remembers vaguely (like me) reading that some sort of defficiency can cause this to happen -- but what?... I have NO idea

Meanwhile... if he is a keeper... he won't mind very much, because he and Halo are now an item!!!
pigeon 1 Pigeon with clipped wings - Page 2 983488 Pigeon with clipped wings - Page 2 35455
They moved in together yesterday, and they are ecstatic together! All you can hear are soft cooings coming from there! I love it/them I love it/them I love it/them (Hercules, please take note!)

I got some rather poor pictures with the cage bars in the way, so I'll see if I can do better tomorrow.

So... four mated pairs... methinks I'll need more fake eggs! Pigeon with clipped wings - Page 2 193770
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Pigeon with clipped wings   Pigeon with clipped wings - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 08, 2011 8:56 pm

I found some stuff on overgrown beaks. I'm going to put it on another thread,
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Pigeon with clipped wings   Pigeon with clipped wings - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 09, 2011 9:24 pm

Congratulations Achilles and Halo
Pigeon with clipped wings - Page 2 Heart_10
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Pigeon with clipped wings   Pigeon with clipped wings - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 09, 2011 9:25 pm

Teresa wrote:
I found some stuff on overgrown beaks.

I'm going to put it on another thread,

The information was very interesting, Teresa. Pigeon with clipped wings - Page 2 142829
Here's the link to the thread Overgrown beaks and nails
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Pigeon with clipped wings   Pigeon with clipped wings - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 23, 2011 10:00 pm

Achilles is flying!!! Happy Dance Happy Dance Happy Dance

His new feathers are almost fully grown, and today, for the first time, he took off from the floor and landed beside Hercules and Piper's cage, 2 metres higher up.

His beak still needs trimming every month, though. Apart from that he would be releasable soon, but I don't think he would want to go now, he's very fond of Halo! Pigeon with clipped wings - Page 2 983488
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Pigeon with clipped wings   Pigeon with clipped wings - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 25, 2011 4:09 pm

Great news!! YESS!! Thrilled

Way To Go Mr. Achilles.
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Pigeon with clipped wings   Pigeon with clipped wings - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 25, 2011 5:33 pm

I'm not so sure about the future of this romance now...

With Achilles regaining the ability to fly, he's become more sure of himself and fiercely independent. As I've had to separate him from Halo while she's recovering, he's now courting everything that moves -- not so much as a get-well card for his girlfriend! Bad boy! Oh brother
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Pigeon with clipped wings   Pigeon with clipped wings - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 26, 2011 8:36 pm

Do you think Achilles will be releaseable at some point?
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Pigeon with clipped wings   Pigeon with clipped wings - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 27, 2011 6:51 am

AZWhitefeather wrote:

I hope so, because he HATES being confined. That's why he's the only pigeon kept in the 'hospital' cage, with a finer mesh over the bars, so he won't injure himself by trying to poke his head through.
It all depends on his beak now. He can eat alright, even before the beak is trimmed, but that's indoors. Outside he'd have to be pretty efficient at picking up the corn to compete successfully. To some extent, foraging on the ground would wear down the beak a little, but it's a big risk.

It's a shame he's losing interest on Halo, because I had hoped he might be able to fly outside for a little while and then come back to his mate, like Strophe does.

It was interesting finding that post about Sammy's overgrown nails and beak yesterday (and she doesn't have any abrasive surfaces in her cage, quite the contrary, because of her seizures). It gave me hope that his beak growth will also slow down.
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Pigeon with clipped wings   Pigeon with clipped wings - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 27, 2011 6:22 pm

Teresa wrote:
AZWhitefeather wrote:

I hope so, because he HATES being confined. That's why he's the only pigeon kept in the 'hospital' cage, with a finer mesh over the bars, so he won't injure himself by trying to poke his head through.
It all depends on his beak now. He can eat alright, even before the beak is trimmed, but that's indoors. Outside he'd have to be pretty efficient at picking up the corn to compete successfully. To some extent, foraging on the ground would wear down the beak a little, but it's a big risk.

It's a shame he's losing interest on Halo, because I had hoped he might be able to fly outside for a little while and then come back to his mate, like Strophe does.

It was interesting finding that post about Sammy's overgrown nails and beak yesterday (and she doesn't have any abrasive surfaces in her cage, quite the contrary, because of her seizures). It gave me hope that his beak growth will also slow down.

Just a thought . . . Is there somewhere in her cage that you could maybe put a thin strip of 'fine' sandpaper to help keep her nails and beak trimmed?
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Pigeon with clipped wings   Pigeon with clipped wings - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 27, 2011 7:10 pm

For Sammy? It could be done, but I'd have to wait until she has less seizures, as she could scrape her face or even her eyes on it.

Now Achilles could have something like that, but he spends most of his time hiding from view in his nest, unless he's eating or trying to get out.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Pigeon with clipped wings   Pigeon with clipped wings - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Pigeon with clipped wings
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2