Pigeon Angels
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pigeon Angels

RegisterSearchLatest imagesHomeLog in
At this time Pigeon Angels forum is in an archive status. For assistance please log into Pigeon Angels Facebook by clicking the following link. Thank You https://www.facebook.com/groups/176239232007/?hc_location=stream

Baby Pigeon Rescued - Lump on chest under right wing! HELP!

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
ln5723

Baby Pigeon Rescued - Lump on chest under right wing! HELP! Empty
PostSubject: Baby Pigeon Rescued - Lump on chest under right wing! HELP!   Baby Pigeon Rescued - Lump on chest under right wing! HELP! Icon_minitimeSun May 13, 2012 1:20 pm

I rescued a baby pigeon about 3 days ago and have been feeding and caring for him/her without issues. He/She seems to have a great appetite and poops seem to be normal. We've named him/her Peeps Smile

Getting ready for our feeding i noticed a large lump on Peep's chest/side underneath the right wing.

I didn't notice it yesterday but wondered if I just missed it before.
It doesn't seem to bother him/her and certainly has not affected the appetite!

It appears to be air or fluid filled and stick out quite a bit compared to the other side.

Air filled doesn't make sense to me, but it does not appear to have liquid inside.

it sounds hollow when you rub it, like a balloon - I know it sounds weird, but that's the best I can do to describe it.

I didn't know if this was a normal occurrence or if I should take the baby to an animal rescue facility.

Here are some pictures

Here's Peeps!
Baby Pigeon Rescued - Lump on chest under right wing! HELP! Th_Bird001

The normal side LEFT under wing
Baby Pigeon Rescued - Lump on chest under right wing! HELP! Th_Bird002

The abnormal side RIGHT under wing

Baby Pigeon Rescued - Lump on chest under right wing! HELP! Th_Bird014

Baby Pigeon Rescued - Lump on chest under right wing! HELP! Th_Bird017

Baby Pigeon Rescued - Lump on chest under right wing! HELP! Th_Bird020

Please help - I would love to keep and care for Peeps - but am not opposed to giving Him or Her up to a rescue facility if they can provide Peeps with treatment if needed. Very sad

If you can point me in the right direction it would be very appreciated!

Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Baby Pigeon Rescued - Lump on chest under right wing! HELP!   Baby Pigeon Rescued - Lump on chest under right wing! HELP! Icon_minitimeSun May 13, 2012 8:13 pm

Hi, welcome to Pigeon Angels! Hi there/Bye

My goodness, that's not a pigeon you've got there, but a truly wild bird! He looks like a dove, but I'm not too familiar with the American varieties of dove. But we do have a member who would know. This is her contact: http://dovebook.webs.com/paz.htm

It's best for you to take him to a wildlife hospital or rehabber, as that lump needs to be assessed. It seems to be at the top of the crop, and air in the crop is not good news, as it can indicate a rupture or a yeast infection.
Doves and pigeons need different diets, and I've also heard that young doves can (and will) overeat if given the chance, and that can cause them problems. What are you feeding him, and how much?

Here are some contacts for Texas:

Prestonwood Pet Clinic
5242 Meadowcreek Drive Suite 110
Dallas Tx 74248
PH: 972-233-7343
Dr Name Gary Bridges, DVM
(I don't know if they treat wild birds too).

ABC Animal and Bird Clinic
11930 Hwy 6 South
Sugar Land, TX 77498
281-495-9445

Rogers Wildlife Rehabilitation
1430 E Cleveland Rd.
Hutchins, TX 75141
972-225-4000
www.rogerswildlife.org/contact.html

Please keep us posted. Smile

Back to top Go down
DOVEBOOK

DOVEBOOK

PostSubject: Re: Baby Pigeon Rescued - Lump on chest under right wing! HELP!   Baby Pigeon Rescued - Lump on chest under right wing! HELP! Icon_minitimeSun May 13, 2012 11:10 pm

ln5723 wrote:
I rescued a baby pigeon about 3 days ago and have been feeding and caring for him/her without issues. He/She seems to have a great appetite and poops seem to be normal. We've named him/her Peeps Smile

Hello,

Peeps looks like a lovely bird. He/she's a White-winged Dove with scientific/zoological genus Zenaida. His/her subspecies is more than likely a Western White-winged Dove Zenaida mearnsi, judging by the world region you're from.

I concur with Teresa that you would need to have Peeps seek medical attention for his/her chest/side lump; your animal healthcare provider should also be able to give you information on the proper nutrition regimen for him/her at this young stage in his/her life and on general home care.

Some general information on the White-winged Dove from Avian Web (scroll down and link to the Wikipedia article for further resources): http://www.avianweb.com/whitewingeddoves.html

Coincidentally, while researching on this species, I came across the following brief web journal from a rescuer of a white-winged named Peeps in Texas (I would assume not related to your Peeps as the dates are from a year ago): http://texas42.net/peeps/

Best of luck with Peeps' health condition. If there is something else you think I can help you with, please don't hesitate to contact me; the easiest way to reach me through this forum is by private messaging as that makes sure it reaches my email box.

Best wishes,

Sal
Back to top Go down
http://dovebook.webs.com/
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Baby Pigeon Rescued - Lump on chest under right wing! HELP!   Baby Pigeon Rescued - Lump on chest under right wing! HELP! Icon_minitimeSun May 20, 2012 10:09 pm

Thank you so much for the excellent advice, Sal, and for the wonderful link! Way To Go Thank You
Back to top Go down
ln5723

PostSubject: Peeps is Great!   Baby Pigeon Rescued - Lump on chest under right wing! HELP! Icon_minitimeTue May 22, 2012 2:51 pm

Thank you everyone for your help and assistance!

We took Peeps to the Rogers Wildlife Rehabilitation center and they were able to treat the air pocket on her right side. They indicated that it was likely caused by trauma from falling out of her nest, but said that she was a little fighter and will recover just fine! Woo hoo

True to their word Peeps has fully recovered and continues to thrive!

She (Peeps seems like a she Happy ) has started flying around and enjoys supervised adventures in our front yard, although she never ventures far from my husband or myself.

Her favorite place seems to be the top of my head, which she frequents on a routine basis.

She's also filling in with feathers on her chest and neck - will send pictures soon!

I must say that this forum was an excellent resource full of helpful and caring people!

Peeps and I thank you all very much for your he
lp!
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Baby Pigeon Rescued - Lump on chest under right wing! HELP!   Baby Pigeon Rescued - Lump on chest under right wing! HELP! Icon_minitimeTue May 29, 2012 3:29 pm

Awww, that's wonderful news! Happy I'm delighted to hear how she has improved and how friendly and relaxed she is!
It's great to hear that she had the best of care at the Rogers Wildlife Rehabilitation center, but first and foremost, her luck changed when she met you! Pigeon angel Circle of Love

Please keep us updated of the little darling's progress.
Very best wishes for you both!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Baby Pigeon Rescued - Lump on chest under right wing! HELP!   Baby Pigeon Rescued - Lump on chest under right wing! HELP! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Baby Pigeon Rescued - Lump on chest under right wing! HELP!
Page 1 of 1