Pigeon Angels
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pigeon Angels

RegisterSearchLatest imagesHomeLog in
At this time Pigeon Angels forum is in an archive status. For assistance please log into Pigeon Angels Facebook by clicking the following link. Thank You https://www.facebook.com/groups/176239232007/?hc_location=stream

No rest for the wicked

Go down 
+14
Jackie\'s Mom
priya
EgypSwiftLady
jamy
Capuccino
plamenh
AZJourney
Dolly
Jenaka
Cynthia
Matilda
pigeonwriter
AZWhitefeather
Teresa
18 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 15 ... 26, 27, 28 ... 31 ... 36  Next
AuthorMessage
Tech
Special Pigeon Angel

No rest for the wicked - Page 27 Empty
PostSubject: Re: No rest for the wicked   No rest for the wicked - Page 27 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 27, 2010 12:08 pm

Teresa wrote:
I've offended Sammy this morning...
I saw a tissue beside her nest and thought, 'What's this doing here? This tissue was under the microfiber blanket in Pippin's nest!' So I picked it up -- and Sammy went nuts pecking at my hand! :eek: I put it back quickly, and she started rearranging it, giving me dirty looks and grumbling all the while.
My daughter couldn't stop laughing. 'Mother, you vandal! She had it all sorted, all Feng-Shuied, and now she's got to do it all over again!' ROTFL

PS. Would you believe it, she just threw the tissue out of the nest! nutter

LOL LOL LOL No rest for the wicked - Page 27 321758 No rest for the wicked - Page 27 321758 No rest for the wicked - Page 27 321758 No rest for the wicked - Page 27 321758 No rest for the wicked - Page 27 46723 No rest for the wicked - Page 27 46723 No rest for the wicked - Page 27 46723 No rest for the wicked - Page 27 46723
Back to top Go down
Jackie\'s Mom
Special Pigeon Angel
Jackie\'s Mom

PostSubject: Re: No rest for the wicked   No rest for the wicked - Page 27 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 27, 2010 7:14 pm

Tech wrote:
Teresa wrote:
I've offended Sammy this morning...
I saw a tissue beside her nest and thought, 'What's this doing here? This tissue was under the microfiber blanket in Pippin's nest!' So I picked it up -- and Sammy went nuts pecking at my hand! :eek: I put it back quickly, and she started rearranging it, giving me dirty looks and grumbling all the while.
My daughter couldn't stop laughing. 'Mother, you vandal! She had it all sorted, all Feng-Shuied, and now she's got to do it all over again!' ROTFL

PS. Would you believe it, she just threw the tissue out of the nest! nutter

LOL LOL LOL No rest for the wicked - Page 27 321758 No rest for the wicked - Page 27 321758 No rest for the wicked - Page 27 321758 No rest for the wicked - Page 27 321758 No rest for the wicked - Page 27 46723 No rest for the wicked - Page 27 46723 No rest for the wicked - Page 27 46723 No rest for the wicked - Page 27 46723

You just have to love them I love it/them No rest for the wicked - Page 27 983488 No rest for the wicked - Page 27 983488 I love it/them Their little antics and personalities are such a joy and source of happiness.

Louise
No rest for the wicked - Page 27 789920
Back to top Go down
EgypSwiftLady
Special Pigeon Angel
EgypSwiftLady

PostSubject: Re: No rest for the wicked   No rest for the wicked - Page 27 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 28, 2010 7:55 am

Tech Sammy sounds like a Diva to me! That's too funny That's too funny That's too funny

Pigeons sure have a way of keeping us on our toes... and giggling at the same time! Laughing
Back to top Go down
http://www.ironwolffarmsanctuary.com
NiteOwl
Special Pigeon Angel
NiteOwl

PostSubject: Re: No rest for the wicked   No rest for the wicked - Page 27 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 28, 2010 5:41 pm

That's just too funny. At the rate they are going, they'll have your whole house done over in no time! The video was great.
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: No rest for the wicked   No rest for the wicked - Page 27 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 28, 2010 7:02 pm

NiteOwl wrote:
That's just too funny.

At the rate they are going, they'll have your whole house done over in no time!

The video was great.
No rest for the wicked - Page 27 395766 Especially with four of the working on it. Holy Cow

Back to top Go down
http://www.pigeonangels.com
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: No rest for the wicked   No rest for the wicked - Page 27 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 30, 2010 9:46 am

I gave Sammy some new strips of tissue paper, and videoed her carrying then away while looking at me sideways... ROTFL
Unfortunately my monitor has blown up Having a bad day and it will be a few days before I can use my computer, so please bear with me.

I'm off to take Abby to the vet's to change her wing bandage.

Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: No rest for the wicked   No rest for the wicked - Page 27 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 30, 2010 10:06 am

I've had some computer issues the last couple of days myself and it's so frustrating.
It makes me crazy.
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: No rest for the wicked   No rest for the wicked - Page 27 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 30, 2010 10:34 am

Teresa wrote:

* I gave Sammy some new strips of tissue paper, and videoed her carrying then away while looking at me sideways... ROTFL

** Unfortunately my monitor has blown up Having a bad day and it will be a few days before I can use my computer, so please bear with me.

*** I'm off to take Abby to the vet's to change her wing bandage.

* That must have been an absolute riot watching her. No rest for the wicked - Page 27 321758

** Oh no!! Very sad
Will be looking forward to your return as soon as possible. No rest for the wicked - Page 27 395766

*** I hope all goes well.

Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: No rest for the wicked   No rest for the wicked - Page 27 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 30, 2010 10:37 am

Matilda wrote:

I've had some computer issues the last couple of days myself and it's so frustrating.
It makes me crazy.

Good grief!! Very sad

Holy Cow I hope that doesn't mean mine is next. Serious EEK!!
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: No rest for the wicked   No rest for the wicked - Page 27 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 01, 2010 6:09 am

Computers, eh... Can't live without them, but there's so much that can go wrong! Hope yours will be sorted soon, Charis!
I'm still using my daughter's computer, and I'm going to share a secret here that will have you all laughing the rest of the day: my daughter touch-types VERY fast, and she has very long nails, so she's scratched off most of the letters on her keyboard. It doesn't bother her at all. Me, I need to look at the letters, but the only letters I can see are these: qwpçzx Oh brother
So if you were a fly on the wall, you would hear something like: tap-tap-tap-oh rats!-erase-erase-tap-tap-tap-tap-curse... etc... ROTFL

Abby's wing still 'clicks', meaning the bones haven't set yet, and her head must be itchy because she's been scratching it. I may need to invent pigeon gloves. But she's better nevertheless, and feistier.

I've got the results of the cultures related to Tigga's necropsy: positive for protozoans, fungi and bacteria, the latter probably a secondary, opportunistic infection. My vet is going to ask for more details, to see if pneumonia was involved.
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: No rest for the wicked   No rest for the wicked - Page 27 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 01, 2010 7:09 am

That is sooo funny about the computer keyboard, Teresa. No rest for the wicked - Page 27 321758 No rest for the wicked - Page 27 46723 I love it/them

I'm glad Abby seems to be doing good other than her wing.
I hope things improve with that real soon. No rest for the wicked - Page 27 395766

Your vet is doing a wonderful job of trying to gt down the very bottom of Tigga's death.
I know it must be somewhat difficult to post all these findings, but we do appreciate it.
We all learn from information like this.
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: No rest for the wicked   No rest for the wicked - Page 27 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 01, 2010 10:04 am

Interesting about the culture. Be interesting to know what kind of fungi too. Poor little Tigga.
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: No rest for the wicked   No rest for the wicked - Page 27 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 05, 2010 8:16 pm

As promised, I got the video evidence Picture(s)/video of Piper and Hercules at work destroying the place: Oh no

http://www.pigeonangels.com/pigeon-behavior-f37/oh-no-they-re-eating-my-house-t2111.htm

And lots more news:

Xi-ri scared me this morning, because he didn't want to eat! Disappointed Before his crop was a quarter full he stopped and wouldn't eat any more. So I switched to feeding him tiny amounts as soon as his crop was empty, which was about every half hour. By lunchtime he was back to his normal self, and I proceeded to feed him every 2 hours.

My sister-in-law told me that she'd only handed him over to me because she was sure he was about to die, and she didn't want "a dead creature" in her house (so NOT because he needed help)! :eek:
And as soon as she heard he was better she wanted to take him home... nutter 'Sure', I said. 'If you can prove to me you'll keep him at the right temperature 24/7 and feed him every 2 hours!' About his temperature, her idea was to put a square of material over his nest No rest for the wicked - Page 27 279675 and as for the feeds she said, 'if I'm at the beach, my mother can feed him when she has the time!' No rest for the wicked - Page 27 279675 I asked her what temperature his food should be, and she looked at me blankly... Oh no So I took a deep breath and said simply, 'NO. He's staying here until he can fend for himself.'
(God give me patience...)

Abby's wing has not set fully yet, but it's getting there! Happy But whether the wing will be fully operational, we can't say yet, as apparently it's setting with a little overlap.
The little rascal actually did a Houdini on the very day she was due to go to the vet's to have the dressing changed, so her freedom didn't last!
She'll have her next X-ray on Wednesday.

No rest for the wicked - Page 27 373410 Pippin has managed her first full flight today! Thrilled Thrilled Thrilled Not just a few feet, but a full flight right round the room several times, negociating obstacles and landing perfectly!
I've never understood why she didn't fly well before, except for some inherent weakness related to illness and starvation when she was very young.
You should have seen her, she looked so proud of her achievement! Happy Of course I praised her LOTS, but then I had to go over and praise Sammy, who was VERY jealous of the attention her mate was getting! Tickled Pink

And finally, here's Sammy rearranging her nest, with a look in her eye that says, 'Stay away from my tissue, you filthy human!' That's too funny That's too funny That's too funny

Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: No rest for the wicked   No rest for the wicked - Page 27 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 05, 2010 9:23 pm

Great update, Teresa. Great job
I love the videos. I love it/them

There never seems to be a dull moment in the Teresa household. No rest for the wicked - Page 27 46723
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: No rest for the wicked   No rest for the wicked - Page 27 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 11, 2010 6:20 pm

Abby had her wing X-ray today. There is healthy tissue growth, but the femur is not totally aligned with the joint. The vet said it's much easier to line up an actual break, which usually is in the middle of the bone, and in this case the progress is as good as could be achieved.
So she's come home without her bandage, and I can hear her right now busily preening her mucky wing! Tickled Pink I'll offer her a bath tomorrow -- I'm sure she'll enjoy that!
She's very good with me, as I'm not the one who has to get unpopular by banding her wing, but apparently she gave the vets a hard time... That's too funny She's been watching Hercules, I reckon... That's too funny
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: No rest for the wicked   No rest for the wicked - Page 27 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 11, 2010 6:28 pm

Appreciate the update on Abby, Teresa.
Sorry to hear things erem't able to be totally aligned. Disappointed
I'm sure Hercules gives them all a 'pep' talk before going off to see the vet. No rest for the wicked - Page 27 46723 LOL

Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: No rest for the wicked   No rest for the wicked - Page 27 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 11, 2010 6:37 pm

Poor little thing. Very sad Sounds like she may be a keeper...yes?
Back to top Go down
EgypSwiftLady
Special Pigeon Angel
EgypSwiftLady

PostSubject: Re: No rest for the wicked   No rest for the wicked - Page 27 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 11, 2010 7:05 pm

Poor little one, I'm glad she has you Teresa No rest for the wicked - Page 27 395766 No rest for the wicked - Page 27 983488 . Will you keep her or find her a new home? Hmmm
Back to top Go down
Jackie\'s Mom
Special Pigeon Angel
Jackie\'s Mom

PostSubject: Re: No rest for the wicked   No rest for the wicked - Page 27 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 11, 2010 8:21 pm

Poor little Abby Very sad

These wing injuries are so tragic.

Louise
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: No rest for the wicked   No rest for the wicked - Page 27 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 11, 2010 9:47 pm

Jackie's Mom wrote:
Poor little Abby Very sad

These wing injuries are so tragic.

Louise

No rest for the wicked - Page 27 395766 They sure can be. Very sad
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: No rest for the wicked   No rest for the wicked - Page 27 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 13, 2010 8:20 pm

If she can't fly well, then I'll keep her. I just don't know of anyone else in Portugal who keeps unreleaseable pigeons, and there are no sanctuaries or anything. Goodness knows what I'm going to do if I find 20 more... better start playing the lottery, eh?
Back to top Go down
EgypSwiftLady
Special Pigeon Angel
EgypSwiftLady

PostSubject: Re: No rest for the wicked   No rest for the wicked - Page 27 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 14, 2010 8:49 am

Teresa wrote:
If she can't fly well, then I'll keep her. better start playing the lottery, eh?

I kinda had a feeling that there might not be any sanctuaries or many people that keep pigeons as pets Very sad

I keep hoping we have the winning number too No rest for the wicked - Page 27 395766 Great job
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: No rest for the wicked   No rest for the wicked - Page 27 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 14, 2010 10:08 am

Abby's idea of a bath was that she should give me a bath. She succeeded. Smile But she also came out of it very refreshed, and at last that very mucky wing was cleaned up and gently brushed.
The observation and bandaging process led to her losing a lot of flight feathers, so until the next moult comes that wing will be rather bare.
Her wing is VERY droopy, poor Abby. It gets in the way, and something in her eyes tells me it's still very sore. She's having a break from antibiotics at the moment, and is due to restart tomorrow. If at the end of that course things have not improved, I'll consider using Clindamycin (which worked miracles for Noel's swolen elbow joint) plus Nystatin, just in case.

After-bath pics:

1) Very wet -- good wing:

No rest for the wicked - Page 27 DSCNB6971-r550

2) Still very wet -- bad wing:

No rest for the wicked - Page 27 DSCNB6972-r550

3) Drying -- bad wing. The feathers are growing back on her head:

No rest for the wicked - Page 27 DSCNB6973-r550
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: No rest for the wicked   No rest for the wicked - Page 27 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 14, 2010 2:02 pm

Those are cute pictures, Teresa. I love it/them
I'm sure she enjopyed 'sharing' her bath with you. No rest for the wicked - Page 27 46723

The eyes do tell a lot don't they? I hope she's not in too much discomfort.
She's sure a cutie. I love it/them
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: No rest for the wicked   No rest for the wicked - Page 27 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 20, 2010 7:34 pm

Abby is in great spirits, curious, pecky and... starting to call! No rest for the wicked - Page 27 983488 Well, she needn't set her eyes on Hercules, or Piper will have something to say about that... Laughing
Best of all, she's been stretching and exercising her wings! I was worried when I first saw her do it, as her bad wing is so droopy, but she can raise it quite a bit! Great job cheers

My sister-in-law came over to collect her canaries (Xi-ri'sparents) which I've been babysitting.
She arrived just before midnight nutter just as I was going to have an early night, but the ensuing exchange got me wide awake.
First, I had to explain that the new additions to the cage were a calcium block and a container with grit (they'd never had either! :eek: )
Then I said there were 2 eggs in the nest, but one was empty (though I don't know how a bird can lay an empty shell) and the other was hard-boiled as soon as it was laid. My nephew peered in. 'But there's 4 eggs there!!' And so there were. They'd been busy in the last few hours.
Out of the new eggs, one was again empty and the other was fertile. Given the late hour, and considering there were already another 3 there, I proposed simply disposing of the fourth. My sister-in-law stopped me, saying to her son, 'Oh, but wouldn't you like to have another baby bird?'
Seeing red/mad 'What, to watch it die like the last one?! This is not a decision for a child to take, and these are living beings that need to be taken care of. And taking care of them right now means letting them sit on the eggs but not allowing them to reproduce, because: a) Their cage is too small for 2, let alone more; b) You don't know how to look after baby canaries, and I'm not going down that road again, and c) I believe the cockbird is infected at subclinical levels, and shouldn't reproduce until he's been given a clean bill of health by an avian vet.'
'Okay, then', she said. 'Let's just throw away the eggs that are no good.'
'Haven't you heard a word I said? They need to sit on them for a while, to give them a break from constant breeding, which will weaken the female and encourage aggressive behaviour.'

In the end I got permission to remove the 'good' egg and leave the others. I don't know how long for, though. If I know her and her parents they'll feel that non-live eggs are disgusting accessories to have in their carefully manicured and sanitised house... Oh brother
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: No rest for the wicked   No rest for the wicked - Page 27 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

No rest for the wicked
Page 27 of 36Go to page : Previous  1 ... 15 ... 26, 27, 28 ... 31 ... 36  Next