Pigeon Angels
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pigeon Angels

RegisterSearchLatest imagesHomeLog in
At this time Pigeon Angels forum is in an archive status. For assistance please log into Pigeon Angels Facebook by clicking the following link. Thank You https://www.facebook.com/groups/176239232007/?hc_location=stream

Question about Baby Feral

Go down 
+9
Joyfulsongtree
Teresa
plamenh
priya
EgypSwiftLady
AZWhitefeather
NiteOwl
Matilda
jimc2000
13 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
plamenh
Special Pigeon Angel
plamenh

Question about Baby Feral - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Question about Baby Feral   Question about Baby Feral - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 28, 2010 11:23 pm

Why don't you try sponge method. Legs just need to be fixed in propper position, not totally immobilised. Besides, most of the rehabbers do not have experience with slayed legs and I guess you can do it good enough.
Back to top Go down
NiteOwl
Special Pigeon Angel
NiteOwl

PostSubject: Re: Question about Baby Feral   Question about Baby Feral - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 28, 2010 11:35 pm

Back to top Go down
EgypSwiftLady
Special Pigeon Angel
EgypSwiftLady

PostSubject: Re: Question about Baby Feral   Question about Baby Feral - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 29, 2010 8:07 am

plamenh wrote:
Why don't you try sponge method. Legs just need to be fixed in propper position, not totally immobilised. Besides, most of the rehabbers do not have experience with slayed legs and I guess you can do it good enough.

I've actually used the sponge and it does work. :Yes:
Back to top Go down
http://www.ironwolffarmsanctuary.com
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Question about Baby Feral   Question about Baby Feral - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 29, 2010 8:12 am

EgypSwiftLady wrote:
plamenh wrote:

I've actually used the sponge and it does work. :Yes:

That's good to know. Thanks, Robin.
It actually looks pretty comfortable.
Back to top Go down
http://www.pigeonangels.com
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Question about Baby Feral   Question about Baby Feral - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 29, 2010 8:13 am

NiteOwl wrote:
Check out this link.

http://www.parrotparrot.com/splay/

Thanks for the link, Jay. Question about Baby Feral - Page 3 142829
Back to top Go down
NiteOwl
Special Pigeon Angel
NiteOwl

PostSubject: Re: Question about Baby Feral   Question about Baby Feral - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 29, 2010 4:53 pm

Your welcome. I think it helps to know the different options.
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Question about Baby Feral   Question about Baby Feral - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 29, 2010 7:22 pm

NiteOwl wrote:
Your welcome. I think it helps to know the different options.

You bet it does. :Yes: Question about Baby Feral - Page 3 142829
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Question about Baby Feral   Question about Baby Feral - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 29, 2010 10:54 pm

Thank you so much for looking after this baby, Jim, you're a real Pigeon angel !
My heart sank when I saw his swollen legs after being to the rehabber. I'm glad the sponge method is working for you, and I hope the baby will get well soon.
Please keep us posted.
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: Question about Baby Feral   Question about Baby Feral - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 01, 2010 10:18 am

I would love it if you would update the thread, Jim.
Back to top Go down
priya
Special Pigeon Angel
priya

PostSubject: Re: Question about Baby Feral   Question about Baby Feral - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 02, 2010 9:13 am

Feel so terrible reading about the poor baby's condition Very sad such badly splayed legs...prayers for the angel to recover soon. Just learnt from Jenn that the other doc messed it up...i am so mad Seeing red/mad Hope Dr. Burke does a good job
Lots of prayers for the baby pigeon 1
Back to top Go down
Joyfulsongtree
Guardian Angel
Joyfulsongtree

PostSubject: Re: Question about Baby Feral   Question about Baby Feral - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 02, 2010 9:18 am

Prayers for the little one - and all involved - from me, too.

pigeon 1

Best wishes,
Back to top Go down
EgypSwiftLady
Special Pigeon Angel
EgypSwiftLady

PostSubject: Re: Question about Baby Feral   Question about Baby Feral - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 02, 2010 9:21 am

I read the baby is now with Jenn... has anybody heard anything else? I have NO idea

This little guy has been on my mind all night, sending prayers to the baby & Jenn.

And a big Thank You to Jim for watching out for the little guy and knowing when more help was need. Great job
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: Question about Baby Feral   Question about Baby Feral - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 02, 2010 9:27 am

Jim did a great job with the baby and it has all become quite complicated for different reasons.
More later today and we can fill you all in on what has transpired between Thursday and yesterday when Jenn picked up the baby.
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Question about Baby Feral   Question about Baby Feral - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 02, 2010 9:30 am

EgypSwiftLady wrote:
I read the baby is now with Jenn... has anybody heard anything else?

I haven't yet. I know we are all on pins and needles waiting to hear how things are coming along.
I know as soon as Jenn has some news she'll post it. :Yes:

I'd like to extend a special Thank You circling , to you Jim, for all your help with this sweet pij. Pigeon angel
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: This is the message I received from Jim on Friday evening...   Question about Baby Feral - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 02, 2010 11:39 am

I am posting it here with his permission to inform you all of how this baby's situation has developed.

Well, I took the baby feral to a vet who was recommended by the Tucson Wildlife Center (http://www.tucsonwildlife.com.) The vet said that the baby has congenital problems and that it should be euthanized. I didn't do that, but I am considering it, and would appreciate your thoughts. She said that basically, the baby's bones are too fragile and it could never have a normal life. Apparently, the baby's legs had been broken several times in several places, probably each time they were bound. One of the legs broke with an audible snap, as she was examining the bird. She anesthetized the baby and set both legs in the equivalent of casts. She gave me pain medication for the bird (Metacam) and showed me how to expand on the rolled towel approach I was already using, so that the legs (in their casts) sort of hang down below the bird's body, which is supported by a couple of layers of rolled towels. I'm keeping him fed and comfortable

The vet said that, the legs were both rotated 180 degrees in their sockets and that it was a genetically caused problem. She said that, to really fix the legs right would involve breaking them at all the joints, and using plates and pins (cost $500 to $1000), but even then, the bones in the legs would probably never be strong enough to support the bird's weight.

Reading from the medical chart (which the vet was kind enough to give me a copy of) the other problems she saw were a fragmented pelvic girdle on the right, crooked keel to right, grossly dialated crop and proventriculus, and "very long neck and legs and short wings" which are apparently indicative of a genetic problem.

The vet said that the baby would never be able to walk or fly, and that if it were a female, the first time she laid an egg it would kill her.

The vet was really pushing for euthanizing the bird, so I don't know if she was exaggerating or not. On the other hand, she didn't charge me for anything -- not even the pain medication.

What do you think I should do?
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: Question about Baby Feral   Question about Baby Feral - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 02, 2010 11:58 am

After reading the message twice, I called Jim to ask more questions. While the vet may be correct in her evalution of this baby, it was troubling to me that she had not done x-rays. The casting material used is very difficult to remove and her expalination to Jim was that it didn't matter because she thought JIm would end up having her euthanise the baby abyway.
Jim ...please feel free to correct me if I am remembering the conversation incorrectly.
She told Jim that when this condition happens in a loft, she recommends the babiesd and the parents be destroyed so the gene is eliminated.
In addition, Jim overheard a conversation she was having with a police officer that was inquiring about what to do with feral cats. The vet's recommendation was to kill them and her expalination was far different fraom all I have come to learn about feral cat colonies.
Hearing all this made me even more uncomfortable with her evaluation and treatment given this baby. Without doubt, a second opinion is needed. Without doubt, we know miracle can and do happen and evne should this bird have special needs who can honestly say the bird cannot have a happy life.
Our wonderful Jenn offered to take the bird as she has more time than Jim and so the baby was passed from Jim to Jenn last evening.
Jim...you are wonderful too. You are kind, conciderate and thoughtful. Thank you for all you did for this baby.

Jenn...the story continues with you ...
Back to top Go down
AZJourney
Special Pigeon Angel
AZJourney

PostSubject: Re: Question about Baby Feral   Question about Baby Feral - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 02, 2010 11:58 am

Futhermore here is recent pictures of "her idea" of a cast:

The Dr. told Jim that if the bandages got wet they would harden.. SO as not to make matters worse.. she looks like a mess.. my apoligies! Embarassed

Question about Baby Feral - Page 3 Dsc03710
Question about Baby Feral - Page 3 Dsc03711
Back to top Go down
AZJourney
Special Pigeon Angel
AZJourney

PostSubject: Re: Question about Baby Feral   Question about Baby Feral - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 02, 2010 12:22 pm

I have been on the phone all morning with Dr. Burke's office.. I have sent pictures, a video, Medical discharge papers from Dr. Edwards, photos and all the info that I have. They will be reviewing her case @ noon today and let me know sometimes after lunch.. what he thinks needs to be done from this point.. I will update here as I have more info.
Back to top Go down
EgypSwiftLady
Special Pigeon Angel
EgypSwiftLady

PostSubject: Re: Question about Baby Feral   Question about Baby Feral - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 02, 2010 12:31 pm

I have one question... How the H**l can the vet say ALL of these problems exist if there weren't any x rays????!!!!!!

This has got me so p**s*d off that I can hardly type!

So many people are so ready to smack a ' Not worth saving' label on some animals it burns me to the core!

So much for the 'First do no harm' oath that vets take.... what a piece of work this one is!!!!
Back to top Go down
AZJourney
Special Pigeon Angel
AZJourney

PostSubject: Re: Question about Baby Feral   Question about Baby Feral - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 02, 2010 2:52 pm

EgypSwiftLady wrote:
I have one question... How the H**l can the vet say ALL of these problems exist if there weren't any x rays????!!!!!!

This has got me so p**s*d off that I can hardly type!

So many people are so ready to smack a ' Not worth saving' label on some animals it burns me to the core!

So much for the 'First do no harm' oath that vets take.... what a piece of work this one is!!!!

Oh Robin... I think my poor ears are spewing...steam...

But it evaportes for me when I look at her.. cuz she's got such a will to live.

We have decided to name her Tehya (pronounced: ((tay-ah) it is a Native American word meaing "precious"!

Which is really the one word that describes her.

She slept through the whole night right next to my side of the bed... ((Of course doesn't mean I did and I did check on her several times)) She eats like a champ.. and LOVES her peas... and Jim has taught her to drink from a tiny lil' cup. :Yes: which she does with eagerness. She is by my side every minute... as I keep her cage with her lil' doughnut that she sits in right next to me. I have a silk scarf that lays over her doughnut hole where she sits so that her legs slip easily down and her feeties don't get caught on the towel with her nails... plus the silk keeps the warmth next to her body.
I have learned that she pretty much lets me know whe she has to poop.. by squeeking and flapping her wings.. so I will take her out and hold her over the paper towel and she does her business. crazy

She's been a joy to have around today..and I had a dream... last night that there was an angel Pigeon angel standing next to her cage with a huge circle of warm light .. and My Sweet precious Zoe pigeon 1 was roosted on top of Tehya's cage..... almost as if to say... We are protecting Tehya! Love my angels.. and I LOVE my ZOE!

As of right now I am still waiting to hear from Dr. Burke's office... As soon as I do.. I will inform Jim and then Post here. Thank you all For your words of encouragemnet.

And Jim... You are ONE AMAZING person to go through all of what you did for this sweet precious one. and I thank YOU! ((((hugs)))) Job well done My friend! Wink I won't give up on her and will keep you in the loop every step of the way!
Question about Baby Feral - Page 3 Dsc03712
Back to top Go down
EgypSwiftLady
Special Pigeon Angel
EgypSwiftLady

PostSubject: Re: Question about Baby Feral   Question about Baby Feral - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 02, 2010 3:20 pm

Thank you so much Jenn for the up date Happy Thrilled I have been checking through out the day and I am still upset about what the first vet said... it will take me quite awhile to get over this ignorance and unwillingness to help Tehya.

I love the name and yes it fits her perfectly YESS!!

When I look at the photo of her I can see in her eyes that she is a fighter and a precious soul.

Thank you too for stepping up and helping Jim, you are a rock star!!!

Sending hugs to you and healing thoughts & prayers to sweet Tehya. Circle of Love
Back to top Go down
Dezirrae

Dezirrae

PostSubject: Re: Question about Baby Feral   Question about Baby Feral - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 02, 2010 3:52 pm

I just finished reading little Tehya's story from the beginning... Jim - I know you don't know me yet - but I must say you are blessed and thank you SOOOOO much for being tuned in to your instincts enough to know that something was wrong with this baby. I truly believe that because of you (and those who posted advice/guidance) this kid has a chance at life Pigeon angel

Robin - you said it perfectly...

EgypSwiftLady wrote:
When I look at the photo of her I can see in her eyes that she is a fighter and a precious soul.

I love the name too Jenn. So very fitting :)

I'll be waiting and watching for updates - and of course will be surrounding Tehya with love, healing thoughts, and many prayers for a speedy recovery.
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: Question about Baby Feral   Question about Baby Feral - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 02, 2010 4:05 pm

Precious suits her to T. She has the sweetest face.
I'm pretty steamed aboput this one too...kind of have that so mad feeling that it feels like the top of my head is going to explode.
Back to top Go down
AZJourney
Special Pigeon Angel
AZJourney

PostSubject: Re: Question about Baby Feral   Question about Baby Feral - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 02, 2010 7:45 pm

Well……..what’s that saying, “If at first you don’t succeed….try….try.....and….TRY…. Again!” Wink

I’m moving onto another Dr… tomorrow…..this time I am not going to be forthcoming with my information! I could stress my opinion on what transpired here today, but to be 100% honest, I would rather stay focused on the positive! :Yes:

This little one has a will to live, pigeon 1 and I AM going to help her do, JUST that! Period! Happy

I started her on Spartrix tonight and will continue ½ tab for 4 days. Her neck is pretty baren and poops are questionable. She comes from the same flock as Crash… who indeed had Canker and so…. It only makes me question her as well.

Her crop is stretched out so I will make a “crop” bra for her tomorrow…. (such a little vixen she will be...LOL)
As well as be calling another well known Dr. in the Phoenix area. 🆒

Keep us in your thoughts… and I will update tomorrow Feeling great as I find out information!
Back to top Go down
Jackie\'s Mom
Special Pigeon Angel
Jackie\'s Mom

PostSubject: Re: Question about Baby Feral   Question about Baby Feral - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 02, 2010 7:54 pm

I just finished reading this entire thread. Thank you so much Jim Pigeon angel for taking this baby in. Thank you Charis Pigeon angel for your intervention and Jenn Pigeon angel not enough can ever be said about your stepping in and taking over the care of this precious little one.

I'm mad as heck with what that Vet tried to do. Seeing red/mad I'm sure Dr. Burke will shed alot more light on the conditon of little Tehya.

Jenn.... I'm so glad that Zoe Cute Dove Pigeon angel Dove right has shown her presence to you. I know how important that is for both you and Tehya.

Sending healing thoughts and prayers for Tehya and a huge hug for you Circle of Love

Louise
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Question about Baby Feral   Question about Baby Feral - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Question about Baby Feral
Page 3 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next