Pigeon Angels
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pigeon Angels

RegisterSearchLatest imagesHomeLog in
At this time Pigeon Angels forum is in an archive status. For assistance please log into Pigeon Angels Facebook by clicking the following link. Thank You https://www.facebook.com/groups/176239232007/?hc_location=stream

squeaker with missing eye

Go down 
+5
Teresa
AZWhitefeather
Jackie\'s Mom
Matilda
jimc2000
9 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
jimc2000
Special Pigeon Angel

squeaker with missing eye - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: squeaker with missing eye   squeaker with missing eye - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu May 27, 2010 9:30 am

Matilda wrote:
Make sure that he is eatting enough.

This might be a dumb question, but how do I tell?
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: squeaker with missing eye   squeaker with missing eye - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu May 27, 2010 9:35 am

The best way to tell is to weigh him every day at the same time.
The other way to tell is to count the droppings. He should have dime size and minimum of 20 a way.
Back to top Go down
Tech
Special Pigeon Angel

PostSubject: Re: squeaker with missing eye   squeaker with missing eye - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu May 27, 2010 12:09 pm

Jim YOU rock
Back to top Go down
jimc2000
Special Pigeon Angel

PostSubject: Re: squeaker with missing eye   squeaker with missing eye - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri May 28, 2010 6:44 am

Based on a "poop census" it looks like he is eating enough. He's eating a lot of seeds and cornbread, and picking up corn & peas (though he doesn't actually eat them yet.)

A little more work today cleaned off the rest of the material around his eye and cleaned up his face a little more:

squeaker with missing eye - Page 4 No10-05-27

This process takes a little longer than it used to because, endearingly enough, he keeps wanting to "preen" me in return.

Most or all of the canker that you see in this picture has sort of a hard crystalline scab-like texture. I don't think it's "live" canker. He still has quite a bit on the roof of his mouth though that might still be viable, active canker. I can manage to hold his beak open, but it takes two hands, so I'm going to recruit a friend to help tomorrow. Hopefully, I can remove some of the canker in his mouth and get some pictures to help us evaluate the situation in there further.

I hadn't realized until today how young this pigeon really is -- he still too young to fly. He's been "helicoptering" for a few days now, which I took to be a sign of improving health. He made his first sucessful flight today going about three feet from my hand to a nearby box, and his landing skills (or lack thereof) made it pretty clear that he's still very new to this:

squeaker with missing eye - Page 4 No10-05-27a
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: squeaker with missing eye   squeaker with missing eye - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri May 28, 2010 7:03 am

What an incredible picture, Jim. Way To Go I love it!! I love it/them
Your update is so encouraging. squeaker with missing eye - Page 4 142829 To both of you, bless your hearts and YOU rock LOTS!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.pigeonangels.com
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: squeaker with missing eye   squeaker with missing eye - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri May 28, 2010 8:07 am

It just breaks my heart what SHE has been through. Great job on your part. Pigeon angel
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: squeaker with missing eye   squeaker with missing eye - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri May 28, 2010 9:03 am

Matilda wrote:
It just breaks my heart what SHE has been through.

Great job on your part. Pigeon angel

One the positive side, she's improving wonderfully. YESS!!
Back to top Go down
Tech
Special Pigeon Angel

PostSubject: Re: squeaker with missing eye   squeaker with missing eye - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri May 28, 2010 9:56 am

Jim, you're an angel to that little angel squeaker with missing eye - Page 4 735397 squeaker with missing eye - Page 4 35455
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: squeaker with missing eye   squeaker with missing eye - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri May 28, 2010 12:48 pm

squeaker with missing eye - Page 4 Awesome1

You made my day! Happy
And what a fantastic photo! I love it/them
Back to top Go down
Jackie\'s Mom
Special Pigeon Angel
Jackie\'s Mom

PostSubject: Re: squeaker with missing eye   squeaker with missing eye - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri May 28, 2010 1:34 pm

Another wonderful update for this little baby. Happy Dance Woo hoo Happy Dance

She must be feeling better to start exercising her wings. YESS!!

Bless you Jim for all that you are doing. Pigeon angel Circle of Love Pigeon angel

Louise
Back to top Go down
AZJourney
Special Pigeon Angel
AZJourney

PostSubject: Re: squeaker with missing eye   squeaker with missing eye - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri May 28, 2010 5:53 pm

squeaker with missing eye - Page 4 Z4c00510
Back to top Go down
jimc2000
Special Pigeon Angel

PostSubject: Re: squeaker with missing eye   squeaker with missing eye - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat May 29, 2010 1:17 am

I've been calling this pigeon "he" all along, but since Charis has dubbed her a female, I'lm happy to go along with the gender change.

After three days of me offering her a bath bowl, she finally took the plunge today. It was a good start, but she still smelled pretty bad after her bath. She's going to need a few more, I think, before she's ready for her debutant party.

Here's today's update picture, shortly after applying Meditrich solution (the white deposits overlaying the remaining canker residue):

squeaker with missing eye - Page 4 No10-05-28a

With an extra pair of hands, courtesy of a helpful friend, I was able to get this picture of the inside of her mouth. AS I mentioned in yesterday's update, you can see that there is still alot of material in there associated with the canker, mostly on the roof of the mouth:

squeaker with missing eye - Page 4 No10-05-28b

Gentle rubbing with a Q-tip dislodged several chunks of this material, but a significant amount remains, shown here right after applying Meditrich solution:

squeaker with missing eye - Page 4 No10-05-28c

Again, I can't tell if this is "live" canker or "dead" residue. Does anyone know how to tell? (Or if there even really is such a difference?)

If you look at the photojournal I've been keeping (https://pij-n-angels.forumotion.net/pigeon-rescue-suspect-injury-f6/photojournal-showing-recovery-from-severe-canker-t1798.htm) the only way I got the big change from day 5 to day 6 was to use a piece of folded paper towel dipped in warm water to gently rub off many of the dried-up canker lesions on her beak and face. That took about 20 minutes. I don't think our patient is going to cooperate for that long when it come to having her beak held open, and the roof of her mouth rubbed. Besides, if this is like the deposits on her face, they should already be moist and partially dissolved, since this is in her mouth, shouldn't they? Any ideas on how best to proceed here would be most welcome.
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: squeaker with missing eye   squeaker with missing eye - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat May 29, 2010 7:18 am

I am going to re post the link, Jim. The one in your post didn't work. Disappointed
Photo journal of rescued canker pigeon

squeaker with missing eye - Page 4 279675 There is still a lot of canker in her mouth. Very sad
She sure is looking alert though. squeaker with missing eye - Page 4 142829
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: squeaker with missing eye   squeaker with missing eye - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat May 29, 2010 3:09 pm

Poor baby, I had never seen so many canker lesions in a pigeon's mouth before! But for all that, she looks so much better!
I don't know how to tell the difference between 'live' and 'dead' growths. The full course of canker meds will definitely kill it, but in most cases they don't dry up and fall straight away, it takes a little longer.
All the best! Circle of Love
Back to top Go down
jimc2000
Special Pigeon Angel

PostSubject: Re: squeaker with missing eye   squeaker with missing eye - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun May 30, 2010 5:30 pm

Update: she seems to be continuing to improve overall. She is eating, drinking and, in general showing a lot of energy:

squeaker with missing eye - Page 4 No10-05-29b

The canker on her face and in her mouth continues to slowly recede:

squeaker with missing eye - Page 4 No10-05-29a

Unfortunately, she has a crack in her beak that wasn't there yesterday, and a fairly large chunk is a little bit loose:

squeaker with missing eye - Page 4 No10-05-29c

I'm wondering if the canker is still advancing inside her beak (is that possible?) or if this is residual damage caused by weakening of the beak structure during the main infection. Charis had mentioned that birds can lose their beaks to cnaker -- hopefully that's not going to happen here. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do about the deteriorating beak situation?

squeaker with missing eye - Page 4 No10-05-29d

squeaker with missing eye - Page 4 No10-05-29e

Last edited by jimc2000 on Mon May 31, 2010 5:01 am; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: squeaker with missing eye   squeaker with missing eye - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun May 30, 2010 5:41 pm

Jim...I don't think there is any thing you can do about the beak. The possibility of her loosing part of it is very frightening..
Back to top Go down
Jackie\'s Mom
Special Pigeon Angel
Jackie\'s Mom

PostSubject: Re: squeaker with missing eye   squeaker with missing eye - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun May 30, 2010 7:53 pm

Jim, She is definately looking better. Her increased energy level is also a good sign.

Unfortunately I don't think there is anything you can do for her beak. The crack in her beak and the piece to the side will propably fall off. This canker is a horrific disease. Thakfully, it looks like the tips of her beak are intact. The tips are so important for her ability to feed herself.

You have done an exceptional job with her Pigeon angel

Thanks for the update and keep us posted.

Louise
squeaker with missing eye - Page 4 789920
Back to top Go down
AZJourney
Special Pigeon Angel
AZJourney

PostSubject: Re: squeaker with missing eye   squeaker with missing eye - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 01, 2010 3:20 pm

Crash's beak has never grown back but having said that.... he gets along just like the rest of them. Crashes beak actually turned black when the tissue was dying.. and the beak on the pigeon below that you have isn't looking that way yet.... so possiblly there is hope for it to stay intact.squeaker with missing eye - Page 4 Sage_a10
Back to top Go down
jimc2000
Special Pigeon Angel

PostSubject: Re: squeaker with missing eye   squeaker with missing eye - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 01, 2010 4:08 pm

Here's an updated photo and some close-ups of her beak:

squeaker with missing eye - Page 4 No10-05-31a

squeaker with missing eye - Page 4 No10-05-31b

squeaker with missing eye - Page 4 No10-05-31c

A couple of observations: The canker doesn't seem to be diminishing anymore, and it does look like she has some canker growth coming out of her nostril. Also slightly disturbing is the fact that her recovered eye actually seems to be inset in the eye socket and it waters a lot. On a more positive note, she is gaining weight and becoming more active every day. There is no canker odor anymore either, and the canker that is visible is all very hard and crystaline.
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: squeaker with missing eye   squeaker with missing eye - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 01, 2010 6:32 pm

Jim...I really think you should have this one looked at by a vet. She may need spartrix in combination with metronidazole. Certainly, whatever strain she has, seems to be very resistant...not that she doesn't look better...because she sure does.
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: squeaker with missing eye   squeaker with missing eye - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 01, 2010 6:53 pm

The sunken eye doesn't surprise me, Jim, given the severity of the canker. Disappointed

It's probably going to take quite a while for it to be completely gone.
But the fact that sweet little pij is gaining weight, becoming more active and
the odor from the canker is gone is definitely 'positive' news. YESS!!
Back to top Go down
Jackie\'s Mom
Special Pigeon Angel
Jackie\'s Mom

PostSubject: Re: squeaker with missing eye   squeaker with missing eye - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 01, 2010 8:10 pm

Jim, You are into day 11 with this bird. You have done an incredible job saving her life and she certainly looks remarkably improved from day one. However, I am inclined to agree with Charis. I believe that her case was so severe and is resistant to the normal course of treatment. She really needs to be seen by a Vet. The very fact that you see a new canker growth coming from her nostril is definately a matter for concern. The Vet will most likely prescribe a combination of drugs to attack the cankers resistance.

I wouldn't worry too much about her eye. You said her vision in that eye seems to be functioning, which is amazing considering what it first looked like. The fact that it is sullen into the sockett is most likely from the external pressure that was exerted from the large growth. The weeping is normal for any eye injury and I think the Vet might prescribe something for that as well.

The fact that she is gaining weight and is alert and active is a very good sign. However, if this canker regains a hold on her all this great improvement could be reversed quite rapidly and place her once again in jeopardy.

I definately would advise you if at all possible to get her to the Vet.

Louise
squeaker with missing eye - Page 4 789920
Back to top Go down
jimc2000
Special Pigeon Angel

PostSubject: Re: squeaker with missing eye   squeaker with missing eye - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 02, 2010 10:58 am

It looks like the canker protruding from her nostril is a little bit bigger today. I'll call the Arizona Bird Clinic when they open this morning and see when they can see her. I might not be able to get her in until tomorrow. In the interim, I'd be inclined to give her a spartrex. Opinions?
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: squeaker with missing eye   squeaker with missing eye - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 02, 2010 11:11 am

I would add spartix as per instructions, 12 hours apart from metronidazole.
Back to top Go down
Jackie\'s Mom
Special Pigeon Angel
Jackie\'s Mom

PostSubject: Re: squeaker with missing eye   squeaker with missing eye - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 02, 2010 12:45 pm

Jim..............I would definately go with the Spartrix. I just returned from my Vet with a rescue I am also treating for canker. My Vet says Spartrix is the preferred method of treatment.

I'm so glad you will be getting the baby to a Vet either today or tomorrow

Please keep us posted.

Louise squeaker with missing eye - Page 4 789920
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: squeaker with missing eye   squeaker with missing eye - Page 4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

squeaker with missing eye
Page 4 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next