Pigeon Angels
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pigeon Angels

RegisterSearchLatest imagesHomeLog in
At this time Pigeon Angels forum is in an archive status. For assistance please log into Pigeon Angels Facebook by clicking the following link. Thank You https://www.facebook.com/groups/176239232007/?hc_location=stream

Meet Crash~the feral!

Go down 
+10
jimc2000
plamenh
Jackie\'s Mom
AZWhitefeather
jamy
EgypSwiftLady
Birdbarn
Tech
Matilda
AZJourney
14 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
AZJourney
Special Pigeon Angel
AZJourney

Meet Crash~the feral! Empty
PostSubject: Meet Crash~the feral!   Meet Crash~the feral! Icon_minitimeWed Dec 02, 2009 11:06 am

You may have read about "Crash" on my other thread if not here is a little info on him:

Over the Thanksgiving Holiday, Jim called and asked if I could watch a rescue he had... some of you may have read about him on PT. Jim thought the bird had been cat attacked and so a PT member was kind enough to send him meds for the bird.

He dropped the bird off few days before Thanksgiving. He has canker and POX. I've treated the canker with Spartrix for 5 days..and it is getting MUCH better...no visiable signs of it anymore. The pox will run it's course. He was in horrible shape, poor guy. Covered in grease and blood... had mites...is way under weight...and his feathers (as you can see in the pictures, the one of the tumor areaon his chest) were stuck in the "shaft" (forgive me I don't know the correct term Embarassed ) I've been preening him to remove the shaft part...in hopes that his feathers will fill out.

He has gotten many Dawn bubble baths... his feet are covered in scabs are finally healing and he gets a slathered neosporin foot rub 2x's a day. After getting through some of the muck and grease .. I can only find one injury and that is in his chest area that has a scab that is getting ready to fall off. After talking to Charis last night she told me that POX can cause temoprary tumors...which is what we believe this one is. There is a photo of the tumor when it fell off below. The Skin under the scab looks good and healthy. I hand feed him 3x's a day...along with Arnica pelet for the residual inflamation. His upper beak was loose after all the crusty blood and gunk came off and almost seems to be re-growing underneath/inside his palate...See picture of inside beak, below.

He reminds me daily that he is getting better and has the WING- POP to go along with his attutide!. :WHAT?: .. It's good to see that he hates me so much.. makes me happy, because he will need to be afraid when he is released. I've asked Jim to keep him until he is able to be soft released. So until he goes... we've named him Crash!

Here are pictures of Poor~Poor~ Crash: 🇳🇴

Meet Crash~the feral! Crash_10Meet Crash~the feral! Crash_12
Meet Crash~the feral! Crash_13
Meet Crash~the feral! Crash_11Meet Crash~the feral! Crash_14Meet Crash~the feral! Crash_15Meet Crash~the feral! Crash_16Meet Crash~the feral! Crash_17
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: Meet Crash~the feral!   Meet Crash~the feral! Icon_minitimeWed Dec 02, 2009 11:14 am

I believe you when you say Crash is looking better than he was when he came to you. Poor liitle thing still looks like he must hurt. It will be interesting to see how he looks in another week.
Back to top Go down
AZJourney
Special Pigeon Angel
AZJourney

PostSubject: Re: Meet Crash~the feral!   Meet Crash~the feral! Icon_minitimeWed Dec 02, 2009 11:22 am

Yeah- I can't wait to see how his recovery goes.... I'm just really worried about his beak... I hope eventually he will be able to close it, more than it is now.

When he got here... His whole beak was 100% covered with dried blood as was the top of his head...it was so hard, he felt like he had no feathers up there... His nostrils were closed completely and he was mouth bretahing... took awhile.. but they are clear now. He will get another bubble bath this afternoon to try and get some more of the grease off... He's a pistal when you bathe him... Evil, wrong doing
Back to top Go down
Tech
Special Pigeon Angel

PostSubject: Re: Meet Crash~the feral!   Meet Crash~the feral! Icon_minitimeWed Dec 02, 2009 1:50 pm

Crash is one big lucky pij to be under the care of AZJourney!!! Luv this place here. All beautiful people taking care of pij in need.
Back to top Go down
Birdbarn
Special Pigeon Angel

PostSubject: Re: Meet Crash~the feral!   Meet Crash~the feral! Icon_minitimeThu Dec 03, 2009 8:09 am

Hmmm I have never had a bird with pox. Poor little guy.

Can he eat okay with his beak like that?
Back to top Go down
EgypSwiftLady
Special Pigeon Angel
EgypSwiftLady

PostSubject: Re: Meet Crash~the feral!   Meet Crash~the feral! Icon_minitimeThu Dec 03, 2009 8:37 am

Poor baby Very sad I'm so glad he's with you and getting better.

Will his beak ever grow back to normal?
Back to top Go down
http://www.ironwolffarmsanctuary.com
AZJourney
Special Pigeon Angel
AZJourney

PostSubject: Re: Meet Crash~the feral!   Meet Crash~the feral! Icon_minitimeThu Dec 03, 2009 10:23 am

I have NO idea I don't know... I have NO idea if his beak will ever be normal...which makes me sad for him.

Right now I am hand feeding him 3x's a day...I leave seed in his carrier for him to pick at... which I know he does because it gets all scattered around. He is as feral as they come, and petrified of humans :eek: ...so for his sake I am really hoping he can be released when he is in tip top shape. If not I will need to place him with someone who has an avairy.
Back to top Go down
jamy
Special Pigeon Angel

PostSubject: Re: Meet Crash~the feral!   Meet Crash~the feral! Icon_minitimeThu Dec 03, 2009 2:30 pm

Oh my gosh, poor little soul. I too hope he continues to improve.

Janet
Back to top Go down
AZJourney
Special Pigeon Angel
AZJourney

PostSubject: Re: Meet Crash~the feral!   Meet Crash~the feral! Icon_minitimeThu Dec 03, 2009 3:13 pm

Disappointed Poor Crash... I fed him his afternoon feeding and we noticed that his lower beak... where it is brown in the pictures...seems to be loose as well... <<<sigh>>>

Question Can Pox cause the beak to become so distorted like his?

and can POX cause the beak to become loose??? I have NO idea I know the lesions created swelling along his beak which has since subsided quite a bit and I am wondering if because of that the beak is loose? I have NO idea
Back to top Go down
EgypSwiftLady
Special Pigeon Angel
EgypSwiftLady

PostSubject: Re: Meet Crash~the feral!   Meet Crash~the feral! Icon_minitimeThu Dec 03, 2009 4:27 pm

AZJourney wrote:
Disappointed Poor Crash... I fed him his afternoon feeding and we noticed that his lower beak... where it is brown in the pictures...seems to be loose as well... <<<sigh>>>

Question Can Pox cause the beak to become so distorted like his?

and can POX cause the beak to become loose??? I have NO idea I know the lesions created swelling along his beak which has since subsided quite a bit and I am wondering if because of that the beak is loose? I have NO idea

Jenn I think I read that pox can do that to the beak Very sad and those pigeons have had to be handfed with a feeding tube for the rest of their lives. But if that does happen he might be able to be tamed.

Poor guy Very sad
Back to top Go down
http://www.ironwolffarmsanctuary.com
AZJourney
Special Pigeon Angel
AZJourney

PostSubject: Re: Meet Crash~the feral!   Meet Crash~the feral! Icon_minitimeFri Dec 04, 2009 7:12 pm

I decided to go back to syringe feeding Crash tonight.

With his beak being loose on top and bottom... popping peas seems to put too much pressure on his lower beak...I can see the beak flex every time I open it... Disappointed it's hard to pop peas when you have no fulcrum to press against to open the beak.

I need to find a tube that is more flexable to put on the tip. I have to go to the Pharmacy this weekend and I'll ask them if they have a small more flexable piece to attach to the end of the syringe tip.

Any and all positive thoughts/advice and prayers are welcome!
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Meet Crash~the feral!   Meet Crash~the feral! Icon_minitimeFri Dec 04, 2009 7:38 pm

AZJourney wrote:
I decided to go back to syringe feeding Crash tonight.

With his beak being loose on top and bottom... popping peas seems to put too much pressure on his lower beak...I can see the beak flex every time I open it... Disappointed it's hard to pop peas when you have no fulcrum to press against to open the beak.

I need to find a tube that is more flexable to put on the tip. I have to go to the Pharmacy this weekend and I'll ask them if they have a small more flexable piece to attach to the end of the syringe tip.

Any and all positive thoughts/advice and prayers are welcome!

You got it!! Meet Crash~the feral! Icon_wink
Bless his heart. He is just adorable.

Your Meet Crash~the feral! 803589 wings are glowing so brightly, Jenn, I bet they light up Tucson. Meet Crash~the feral! 7471
Bless you as well. Meet Crash~the feral! 142829
Back to top Go down
http://www.pigeonangels.com
Jackie\'s Mom
Special Pigeon Angel
Jackie\'s Mom

PostSubject: Re: Meet Crash~the feral!   Meet Crash~the feral! Icon_minitimeFri Dec 04, 2009 7:55 pm

Poor little Crash...........I have seen pictures of birds with severly deformed and missing beaks caused by Pox. It is an absolutely horrific disease. There are people who have birds with missing upper and/or lower beaks and somehow in time they do learn how to feed by themselves. It takes alot time and patience for them to learn to eat, in the meantime the only way they are able to survive is by hand/syringe feeding. Seed must be placed in a deep dish, and the bird uses whatever they have left of their beaks as a scoop. But again, it takes alot of time for the bird to master this. Unfortunately these birds can never be released.

I think you are doing the right thing by going back to the syringe feeding. Time will only tell if his beak remains intact, but any unnecessary pressure on it now can not help it.

Jenn.......you are an absolute Pigeon angel for saving this little one, he may act wild, but I am sure he knows you are saving his life.

Sending you a hug and postive thoughts for a speedy recovery and good outcome for little Crash.

Louise
Back to top Go down
plamenh
Special Pigeon Angel
plamenh

PostSubject: Re: Meet Crash~the feral!   Meet Crash~the feral! Icon_minitimeFri Dec 04, 2009 11:37 pm

I'm using soft silicone tubing to syringe feed my rescues. It is flexible and just slides down the throat with a bit olive oil help to grease it. Works even in bad cases of canker when there is a blockage in the throat.
Back to top Go down
Birdbarn
Special Pigeon Angel

PostSubject: Re: Meet Crash~the feral!   Meet Crash~the feral! Icon_minitimeSat Dec 05, 2009 7:29 am

flower Crash, I hope your situation improves very soon. You are in the best hands possible. My thoughts are with you.
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: Meet Crash~the feral!   Meet Crash~the feral! Icon_minitimeSun Dec 06, 2009 7:39 pm

Jenn...how is little Crash doing?
Back to top Go down
AZJourney
Special Pigeon Angel
AZJourney

PostSubject: Re: Meet Crash~the feral!   Meet Crash~the feral! Icon_minitimeSun Dec 06, 2009 8:41 pm

Well...after teetering on what puts less pressure on his beak... we are back to peas. nutter Don and I have found a way that puts almost no pressure on the tips.... I am certain it is only a matter of time before his upper and lower beak tips fall off.. they are dead.... and you can tell that.

I have made a solution of GSE and Colloidal Silver to dab on the beak, which has reduced the swelling on the tip. He even eats some seeds on his own, just not enough...I placed a deep dish full of pigeon pellets and he tries...bless his little heart. and thats all I can ask of him. I think he has earned his black belt in Wing FU now. :Need some help his strength is fantastic... I put off another bath until this week... I'm sure he is sick of being bothered all the time. Meet Crash~the feral! Suspect

Since he can not preene...every feeding I have a go of it ...for him. I FULLY give birds credit for keeping their feathers in tip top shape... It's tedious work!!..lol... NEVER will I complain about my bad hair days again! :For Shame: Is there anyway besides picking at it to remove the shaft off the feathers????
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: Meet Crash~the feral!   Meet Crash~the feral! Icon_minitimeSun Dec 06, 2009 9:03 pm

AZJourney wrote:
Well...after teetering on what puts less pressure on his beak... we are back to peas. Meet Crash~the feral! 674334 Don and I have found a way that puts almost no pressure on the tips.... I am certain it is only a matter of time before his upper and lower beak tips fall off.. they are dead.... and you can tell that.

I was afraid of that. Meet Crash~the feral! 224884

NEVER will I complain about my bad hair days again! Meet Crash~the feral! 5244

I'll try to not complain aw well but it won't be easy.

Is there anyway besides picking at it to remove the shaft off the feathers????

Not that I can think of. Meet Crash~the feral! 319297
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Meet Crash~the feral!   Meet Crash~the feral! Icon_minitimeSun Dec 06, 2009 9:30 pm

You are doing a great job of caring for Crash, Jenn. Meet Crash~the feral! 803589
Back to top Go down
http://www.pigeonangels.com
AZJourney
Special Pigeon Angel
AZJourney

PostSubject: Re: Meet Crash~the feral!   Meet Crash~the feral! Icon_minitimeMon Dec 07, 2009 10:07 am

Very sad Well it happened! His upper beak fell off last night.... But the GREAT news is... he ate his whole dish of seeds!!! Thrilled YIPPIE... I am sure now that it's fallen off he will feel better. I am still giving him Arnica...and I put Colliodial Silver and Neosporin w/pain relief on his beak this morning.

Now we wait for the lower beak to do the same thing. Then He will be on his way to healing and learning to use his new smile!

I think he would do best in an avairy situation once he is totally healed.... he has a way to go yet, But I really need to place him once he is well... If anyone knows of A "GREAT" someone... please let me know.. he deserves to have a fantastic home.. and I want to help him get there,when the time is right!

Meet Crash~the feral! Crash_10
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: Meet Crash~the feral!   Meet Crash~the feral! Icon_minitimeMon Dec 07, 2009 10:19 am

The right place will open up...I just know it . Meet Crash~the feral! Icon_wink
Back to top Go down
Jackie\'s Mom
Special Pigeon Angel
Jackie\'s Mom

PostSubject: Re: Meet Crash~the feral!   Meet Crash~the feral! Icon_minitimeMon Dec 07, 2009 12:43 pm

Jenn..............I am so very happy that Crash was able to eat his seeds Thrilled Thrilled Thrilled

Hopefully he will be able to make the adjustment with the lower beak as well.........he his such a sweet little bird and has been through so much.....bless his little heart.

What a wonderful job you are doing with him. Way To Go Pigeon angel

Sending you postive healing thoughts and prayers for Crash's continued recovey.

Louise
Back to top Go down
Tech
Special Pigeon Angel

PostSubject: Re: Meet Crash~the feral!   Meet Crash~the feral! Icon_minitimeMon Dec 07, 2009 6:31 pm

That's too funny That's too funny That's too funny Happy Dance Happy Dance Happy Dance Happy Dance Happy Dance Happy Dance Happy Dance Happy Dance Celebrate Celebrate Celebrate Thrilled Thrilled

But, is he going to grow a new beak? Meet Crash~the feral! 106767
Back to top Go down
jimc2000
Special Pigeon Angel

PostSubject: Re: Meet Crash~the feral!   Meet Crash~the feral! Icon_minitimeMon Dec 07, 2009 7:12 pm

Here's an interesting article about an eagle that was fitted with a prosthetic beak:

http://www.popularmechanics.com/science/health_medicine/4274626.html

And here's one about a stork:

http://www.redorbit.com/news/oddities/308225/japanese_stork_gets_prosthetic_beak/index.html

Hopefully, Crash's beak will grow back, but of it doesn't, maybe there is some hope that we can find interested volunteers who might want to experiment with other options.
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: Meet Crash~the feral!   Meet Crash~the feral! Icon_minitimeMon Dec 07, 2009 7:15 pm

I think there is a clinic in San Francisco that does that. Jaye would know. I think they fit one for his little parrot.

Great articles, Jim. Meet Crash~the feral! 526287
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Meet Crash~the feral!   Meet Crash~the feral! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Meet Crash~the feral!
Page 1 of 5Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next