Pigeon Angels
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pigeon Angels

RegisterSearchLatest imagesHomeLog in
At this time Pigeon Angels forum is in an archive status. For assistance please log into Pigeon Angels Facebook by clicking the following link. Thank You https://www.facebook.com/groups/176239232007/?hc_location=stream

Meet Crash~the feral!

Go down 
+10
jimc2000
plamenh
Jackie\'s Mom
AZWhitefeather
jamy
EgypSwiftLady
Birdbarn
Tech
Matilda
AZJourney
14 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
AZJourney
Special Pigeon Angel
AZJourney

Meet Crash~the feral! - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Meet Crash~the feral!   Meet Crash~the feral! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 10, 2009 4:35 pm

NiteOwl wrote:
Jenn, how do you preen him?

I have to wrap him in a burritto with the opening of the "burritto" in the area where I want to preen him...

then I use my nails to gently scratch the shaft until it loosens.. and then it just flakes right off... and the feather spreads out. It's tedious.... and, We make a mess.. Serious EEK!! but his feathers are looking much better... and I am sure that he is warmer than he was! Meet Crash~the feral! - Page 3 106767 I just can't think of another way to do it???? Any ideas... let me know!! Wink

Here is a picture of what his feathers look like underneath of his outer feathers... a TON of his feathers are totally surrounded by the shaft. I'm sure with his beak that he just doesn't want to preen himself...Can't blame him.
Meet Crash~the feral! - Page 3 Feathe10
Back to top Go down
EgypSwiftLady
Special Pigeon Angel
EgypSwiftLady

PostSubject: Re: Meet Crash~the feral!   Meet Crash~the feral! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 10, 2009 5:12 pm

Thanks so much Jenn for posting the photo of Crash. I was expecting to see a beak that looked so much worse :eek: Thank goodness he has a bit of a beak and once it hardens I'm sure he will be preening. Happy

You have done such a wonderful job with him Great job
Back to top Go down
http://www.ironwolffarmsanctuary.com
NiteOwl
Special Pigeon Angel
NiteOwl

PostSubject: Re: Meet Crash~the feral!   Meet Crash~the feral! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 10, 2009 6:05 pm

I don't know, as I don't think he will be able to get between the feathers well enough without the point on the tip of his beak. Don't really see how he would be able to preen with his beak so blunt.

Anyway Jenn, these are brushes that I had bought at a bird store to clean my hummingbird feeders. They are just stiff enough to be effective at removing that sheath, but not so stiff as to hurt him. I mean, you'd still have to be careful on his skin. What about brushing over his feathers with something like these?

Meet Crash~the feral! - Page 3 FeatherBrushes008
Back to top Go down
priya
Special Pigeon Angel
priya

PostSubject: Re: Meet Crash~the feral!   Meet Crash~the feral! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 11, 2009 3:42 am

OMG i just caught up on this thread....i really don't know how i missed it Sorry but what an overwhelming story Very sad Poor Crash has had to go through so much...when i looked at the pics I just winced...had never seen a pijjie in such a condition before Very sad

Jenn, i'm so glad you are caring for him and doing such a good job of it. I guess Crash would need a lot of help and support since he has lost his beak and I'm sure you would do the best possible for him.
Would his beak grow back ever or atleast harden? Very sad Felt so so bad seeing him...
Glad he has you Jenn

It was wonderful of Robin to offer to take him in her wonderful sanctuary Way To Go
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Meet Crash~the feral!   Meet Crash~the feral! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 11, 2009 8:09 am

plamenh wrote:
Poor Crush, you and him have been through so much. As long as he can eat and drink all will be well. Slowely the beak will grow again.

priya wrote:
OMG i just caught up on this thread....i really don't know how i missed it Sorry but what an overwhelming story Very sad Poor Crash has had to go through so much...when i looked at the pics I just winced...had never seen a pijjie in such a condition before Very sad

Would his beak grow back ever or atleast harden? Very sad Felt so so bad seeing him...
Glad he has you Jenn

That is a great question, Priya.
I, personally have never heard of a pigeon's beak growing back.
However, Plamenh mentions that it will, slowly.
Crash's story will definitely be one to follow. Meet Crash~the feral! - Page 3 458406

plamenh wrote:

As long as he can eat and drink all will be well. Slowely the beak will grow again.

Back to top Go down
http://www.pigeonangels.com
priya
Special Pigeon Angel
priya

PostSubject: Re: Meet Crash~the feral!   Meet Crash~the feral! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 11, 2009 8:20 am

Oh hope his beak grows back eventually Cute Dove
Back to top Go down
plamenh
Special Pigeon Angel
plamenh

PostSubject: Re: Meet Crash~the feral!   Meet Crash~the feral! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 11, 2009 8:39 am

Beak has the same structure as nails and horns and grows all the time during the life of the bird. It is the part of the bird's body that is under the stress and friction non-stop and there is no such a thing as worn off beak. When Keratin part of the beak is damaged, it recovers fairly quick (for different type of birds takes different time of course.
If the growing bed of the beak is damaged, beak will not grow again or growth may be retarded and beak deformed.
When Crash's beak fell out, there were no extensive bleeding and I hope that injury was not to deep. That means that with proper care and supplemental doses of keratin (red palm oil, carrots) and keratin building supplements (vitamin B, Calcium, Zinc, Folic acid) there is a good chances that beak will grow back.
Back to top Go down
AZJourney
Special Pigeon Angel
AZJourney

PostSubject: Re: Meet Crash~the feral!   Meet Crash~the feral! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 11, 2009 10:26 am

NiteOwl wrote:
Anyway Jenn, these are brushes that I had bought at a bird store to clean my hummingbird feeders. They are just stiff enough to be effective at removing that sheath, but not so stiff as to hurt him. I mean, you'd still have to be careful on his skin. What about brushing over his feathers with something like these?

Meet Crash~the feral! - Page 3 FeatherBrushes008

Idea/thought GREAT idea~ I have all of those for my hummingbird feeders too... I will try it tonight! THANKS for the great idea. Meet Crash~the feral! - Page 3 142829

priya wrote:

Jenn, i'm so glad you are caring for him and doing such a good job of it. I guess Crash would need a lot of help and support since he has lost his beak and I'm sure you would do the best possible for him.
Glad he has you Jenn

It was wonderful of Robin to offer to take him in her wonderful sanctuary Way To Go

ahhh---so kind Priya! Thank You
I do know that the beak can grow, having said that it will take quite awhile from the information that I have found. Right now the WHOLE thing is very very SOFT.

plamenh wrote:
Beak has the same structure as nails and horns and grows all the time during the life of the bird. It is the part of the bird's body that is under the stress and friction non-stop and there is no such a thing as worn off beak. When Keratin part of the beak is damaged, it recovers fairly quick (for different type of birds takes different time of course.
If the growing bed of the beak is damaged, beak will not grow again or growth may be retarded and beak deformed.
When Crash's beak fell out, there were no extensive bleeding and I hope that injury was not to deep. That means that with proper care and supplemental doses of keratin (red palm oil, carrots) and keratin building supplements (vitamin B, Calcium, Zinc, Folic acid) there is a good chances that beak will grow back.

Plamen: WOW.. :study: ALL such GREAT info. and I thank you for that! Could you tell me ... how do I tell if the growing "bed" of the beak is damaged???

His beak at the moment is all very soft.. there isn't one area at all that is hard. From what I have read it would take years to grow out any sort of "tip"... do you know if that is true?

Meet Crash~the feral! - Page 3 373410 The good news again..is ..I placed his seed dish back in last night... and he ate and drank!!! Meet Crash~the feral! - Page 3 789920 He doesn't seem to be bothered by his beak in the least bit!

He will be getting a bath tonight...to help his feathers out...and to soak his feet. I hope that after all the preening I have done his under feathers will fill in a tad. Poor guy has so many feathers that just look like little sticks. :Rolling eyes: SO before he goes in the tub.. I'm going to try out the brushes......

THANKS AGAIN to all of you! Hi there/Bye
Back to top Go down
plamenh
Special Pigeon Angel
plamenh

PostSubject: Re: Meet Crash~the feral!   Meet Crash~the feral! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 11, 2009 10:37 am

Keep in mind that Tissue there is still inflammed. Maybe Arnica will help with pain and swelling. You can only wait couple of weeks and check a tip of remaining beak to feel for hardness. Yes beak is growing slowly as it is compensating for worn parts that is not so much. When injured, growth is slightly accelerated though what I noticed.
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Meet Crash~the feral!   Meet Crash~the feral! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 11, 2009 10:41 am

Great update, Jenn. Meet Crash~the feral! - Page 3 142829
It appears Crash is adjusting very well. Meet Crash~the feral! - Page 3 766985
Positive thoughts continue.
Back to top Go down
http://www.pigeonangels.com
AZJourney
Special Pigeon Angel
AZJourney

PostSubject: Re: Meet Crash~the feral!   Meet Crash~the feral! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 11, 2009 10:43 am

plamenh wrote:
Keep in mind that Tissue there is still inflammed. Maybe Arnica will help with pain and swelling. You can only wait couple of weeks and check a tip of remaining beak to feel for hardness. Yes beak is growing slowly as it is compensating for worn parts that is not so much. When injured, growth is slightly accelerated though what I noticed.

Thanks Plamen.... I have him on arnica...pellets... and I think I will subsuite the arnica cream on the tip instead of the Neosporin .... Thank You circling
Back to top Go down
NiteOwl
Special Pigeon Angel
NiteOwl

PostSubject: Re: Meet Crash~the feral!   Meet Crash~the feral! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 11, 2009 5:07 pm

Jenn, I looked Arnica up online, and noticed that it comes in different ways, and different strengths. For instance, the homeopathy Arnica is a weaker solution. It sounds like something that would be good to have on hand. Where did you get it? They have different places online to buy it, but is it all the same, or different?
Back to top Go down
AZJourney
Special Pigeon Angel
AZJourney

PostSubject: Re: Meet Crash~the feral!   Meet Crash~the feral! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 11, 2009 5:33 pm

NiteOwl wrote:
Jenn, I looked Arnica up online, and noticed that it comes in different ways, and different strengths. For instance, the homeopathy Arnica is a weaker solution. It sounds like something that would be good to have on hand. Where did you get it? They have different places online to buy it, but is it all the same, or different?

Here is where I buy almost all of my homeopathic products... www.homeopathyworks.com It is Washington Homeopathics...they have been around for years! and..Yes-- there are different potency's: Here is an explanation about the potency's directly from their web page.. it took me years to understand it..LOL... I use the C potency in most everything I use....

What is the Difference Between X and C?

A. Both X and C are designations for homeopathic potency scales. X is the Roman Numeral for 10 and means that that particular homeopathic medicine has been diluted 1:10 during the potentization process. C is the Roman Numeral for 100 and means that that particular homeopathic medicine has been diluted 1:100 during its potentization process. X and C are simply two different ways of manufacturing a remedy. The X potency scale has traditionally been very popular in the US since Dr. C. Hering, a famous American Homeopath, was a huge proponent of the X scale. C potencies have traditionally been used mostly in Europe. Today, Washington Homeopathic Products offers both X and C potency scales.
Because both a 30C and a 30X have gone through the dilution and succussion steps 30 times, they are considered to be comparable potencies. However, because C potencies are more dilute, they are considered to be slightly stronger. WHP recommends that people who have been taking remedies in X potencies stick with the X potency scale, and those who have been using C potencies, stick with the C’s. However, high potencies, such as 200 or 1M are typically only available in the C potency scale.

Here is another good link to browse through with a lot of info on homeopathy: www.homeopathic.org
The main goal of using homeopathics is to stimulate the bodys healing process without the use of medication. Therefore not creating a chemical reaction like normal medication can....

For those who might be interested here is a WONDEFUL company..called www.petalive.com I use many many of there products in our house ..not only for the humans www.nativeremedies.com but pets as well. ((scrolling through that site you may see may of my testiominals..on some of the products I have used))

Last edited by AZJourney on Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: Meet Crash~the feral!   Meet Crash~the feral! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 11, 2009 5:35 pm

Thanks, Jenn...great information! Meet Crash~the feral! - Page 3 878776
Back to top Go down
NiteOwl
Special Pigeon Angel
NiteOwl

PostSubject: Re: Meet Crash~the feral!   Meet Crash~the feral! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 11, 2009 6:14 pm

Thanks for the info. I checked out the place you buy it, but it looks like you have to buy the whoe kit for like $90. I was looking to buy just the arnica, but I want to make sure it's the right stuff.
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: Meet Crash~the feral!   Meet Crash~the feral! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 11, 2009 6:28 pm

Owl...You can duplicate the arnicia at a store such as Whole Foods or similar kind of store. They should have different strengths.
Back to top Go down
NiteOwl
Special Pigeon Angel
NiteOwl

PostSubject: Re: Meet Crash~the feral!   Meet Crash~the feral! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 11, 2009 6:47 pm

Matilda wrote:
Owl...You can duplicate the arnicia at a store such as Whole Foods or similar kind of store. They should have different strengths.

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: Meet Crash~the feral!   Meet Crash~the feral! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 11, 2009 7:02 pm

Meet Crash~the feral! - Page 3 664395 ...OWL
Back to top Go down
NiteOwl
Special Pigeon Angel
NiteOwl

PostSubject: Re: Meet Crash~the feral!   Meet Crash~the feral! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 11, 2009 7:15 pm

Hey, I looked it up online, and they have one in Bellingham. I didn't even know that. It's about 30 min. drive from here.
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: Meet Crash~the feral!   Meet Crash~the feral! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 11, 2009 10:03 pm

Meet Crash~the feral! - Page 3 878776
Back to top Go down
plamenh
Special Pigeon Angel
plamenh

PostSubject: Re: Meet Crash~the feral!   Meet Crash~the feral! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 11, 2009 10:37 pm

I don't know how is in USA but in SA you can get it in every pharmacy and bigger supermarket (there is a health section) beside that there are health shops in every shopping mall who sell it.
Back to top Go down
NiteOwl
Special Pigeon Angel
NiteOwl

PostSubject: Re: Meet Crash~the feral!   Meet Crash~the feral! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 12, 2009 7:51 am

plamenh wrote:
I don't know how is in USA but in SA you can get it in every pharmacy and bigger supermarket (there is a health section) beside that there are health shops in every shopping mall who sell it.

I don't know anything about it. In looking it up online, it seems to come in different strengths. What would be the right one to use on a bird? Or does it matter?
Back to top Go down
AZJourney
Special Pigeon Angel
AZJourney

PostSubject: Re: Meet Crash~the feral!   Meet Crash~the feral! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 12, 2009 9:06 am

NiteOwl wrote:
plamenh wrote:

I don't know anything about it. In looking it up online, it seems to come in different strengths. What would be the right one to use on a bird? Or does it matter?

It would be so great if in the US if every Pharmacy would have it.... but most...do not. Here we have to go to a "Heatlh" food store..such as Wild Oats, Whole Foods, Trader Joe's etc.... Bummer. Count your self Fortunate Plamen!! That's too funny

I use the 30 c pellets... and I bought mine about a year ago and I only bought 2 remedies.... I was able to purchase them seperate. You can surely go to the health food stores... The Products that you will most likley find there is made by Boiron here is a link... to their website... http://www.boiron.com/ The only thing is you buy them in single dose which look like this http://www.boiron.com/en/htm/groupe_boiron/medicaments_et_produits.htm there is around 20 pellets in a single dose ..give or take. and it's around 8$ for that small single dose. When I bought mine at Washington's I got like 1000 pellets for less price. I'll have to check out today and see if they still allow you to buy without buying a kit.

I do buy my Arnica cream at Wild Oats this is the product that you will find in the cream: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BP3U0Q/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B000FL44EM&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0KGJD89S9H9B886AYCDK

I LOVE LOVE this stuff.. last year I had a VERY bad roller skating accident and needless to say I bent the tip of my tail bone inwards... My Dr. was amazed that my bruise and tissue healed so quickly and asked what I was using... So I told him and now he uses it all the time for patients! GREAT STUFF!
Back to top Go down
AZJourney
Special Pigeon Angel
AZJourney

PostSubject: Re: Meet Crash~the feral!   Meet Crash~the feral! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 12, 2009 9:12 am

FOUND IT!!!! Happy Dance

here you go....

This is how I bought mine: http://www.homeopathyworks.com/jshop/product.php?xProd=11049

30c: Arnica
1oz= $7.89
2oz= $12.79
4oz= $20.39

That link takes you right to it... you would just need to select size and potency...
Back to top Go down
NiteOwl
Special Pigeon Angel
NiteOwl

PostSubject: Re: Meet Crash~the feral!   Meet Crash~the feral! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 12, 2009 11:04 am

AZJourney wrote:
FOUND IT!!!! Happy Dance

here you go....

This is how I bought mine: http://www.homeopathyworks.com/jshop/product.php?xProd=11049

30c: Arnica
1oz= $7.89
2oz= $12.79
4oz= $20.39

That link takes you right to it... you would just need to select size and potency...

Jenn, thanks. How do you use the pellets?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Meet Crash~the feral!   Meet Crash~the feral! - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Meet Crash~the feral!
Page 3 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next