Pigeon Angels
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pigeon Angels

RegisterSearchLatest imagesHomeLog in
At this time Pigeon Angels forum is in an archive status. For assistance please log into Pigeon Angels Facebook by clicking the following link. Thank You https://www.facebook.com/groups/176239232007/?hc_location=stream

Meet Crash~the feral!

Go down 
+10
jimc2000
plamenh
Jackie\'s Mom
AZWhitefeather
jamy
EgypSwiftLady
Birdbarn
Tech
Matilda
AZJourney
14 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
AZJourney
Special Pigeon Angel
AZJourney

Meet Crash~the feral! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Meet Crash~the feral!   Meet Crash~the feral! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 07, 2009 7:36 pm

Wow- that is interesting Jim... 10 + years in the dental field, I have.... never thought about adhesives we use for human prostetics for repairs on wildlife! Meet Crash~the feral! - Page 2 106767 makes perfect sense thou'~
To be honest.. he actually eats ok... Wink as long as he can stick his beak in the deep, small dish and get his seeds.. ...So.. No-release back to the wild world for this guy. Even though he ate all his seed this morning, I gave him peas tonight. I'm just glad he has some of his beak left and the POX didn't get it all. The scabs on his feet are falling off and healing as well.

As for experimenting on Crash...... No way! 🇳🇴 Sorry... I can't do it to him. I know that is how wonderful things are created.. but I won't put him throuigh trial and error anymore than he has been through. If it was a procedure that someone has done...... then maybe. and even then .. I'd need someone to strap me down...LOL Heaven help me LOL
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Meet Crash~the feral!   Meet Crash~the feral! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 07, 2009 7:46 pm

Thanks for posting those articles, Jim.
I remember seeing the one about the eagle, but hadn't seen the one about the stork.

With all the new technologies, there isn't much that can't be tried. Meet Crash~the feral! - Page 2 142829
Back to top Go down
http://www.pigeonangels.com
jimc2000
Special Pigeon Angel

PostSubject: Re: Meet Crash~the feral!   Meet Crash~the feral! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 07, 2009 8:07 pm

Sorry for the alarming suggestion Jenn -- I hadn't thought about it from that perspective...

From the earlier pictures you posted, it almost looks like Crash already started growing a new beak, and somehow only the tips of the "old" beak were still there. Is his cere just really elongated, or is that protrusion made of beak-like material?

Here are a couple of possibly useful articles that might help to figure out exactly what poor Crash's future might hold:

http://www.birdchannel.com/bird-diet-and-health/bird-care/bird-beak-anatomy.aspx
http://www.exoticpetvet.net/avian/anatomy.html

Can you tell what part or parts on his upper and lower beak he'll still have?
Back to top Go down
Shalimar
Special Pigeon Angel
Shalimar

PostSubject: Meet Crash the feral !   Meet Crash~the feral! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 08, 2009 6:35 pm

Hi Jenn, just reading old and new posts.... and Crash what a story and how awfully nice of you and you are doing a great job.... brings tears to my eyes.. but I am so happy he is doing soooo much better... and hopefully Crash will grow a new beak... glad to hear he is eating better.... Way To Go
Back to top Go down
NiteOwl
Special Pigeon Angel
NiteOwl

PostSubject: Re: Meet Crash~the feral!   Meet Crash~the feral! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 08, 2009 10:01 pm

What a shame. He's such a cute little guy. How well will he be able to eat with that much beak left? Pox is a horrible thing. I'm wondering how much it will affect his eating when the lower beak comes off.
Back to top Go down
AZJourney
Special Pigeon Angel
AZJourney

PostSubject: Re: Meet Crash~the feral!   Meet Crash~the feral! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 09, 2009 10:15 am

Shalimar wrote:
Hi Jenn, just reading old and new posts.... and Crash what a story and how awfully nice of you and you are doing a great job.... brings tears to my eyes.. but I am so happy he is doing soooo much better... and hopefully Crash will grow a new beak... glad to hear he is eating better.... Way To Go

pigeon 1 thanks Shalimar! Thanks I'm not sure he will grow a whole new beak.... but we are making headway.... SO cross those fingers! Wink He's a trooper!

NiteOwl wrote:
What a shame. He's such a cute little guy. How well will he be able to eat with that much beak left? Pox is a horrible thing. I'm wondering how much it will affect his eating when the lower beak comes off.

Hang in there To be honest since the upper beak has fallen off I have not had to hand feed him... When I go to check his crop is FULL! I think the pressure the "dead tip" was placing on the tissue was making it more diffucult for him to eat. The lower one is looser by the day so it is, only a matter of days. The tissue on the upper one looks MUCH much better now that it is exposed to air...so I treat it 2x's a day to help with the healing. I wish the other would just fall off...poor guy!

But I have to say (again)... A bird is only as handicapped as you make them to be... He is amazing and keeps truckin' along everyday! I want him to have the confidence to eat alone... Meet Crash~the feral! - Page 2 789920 as long as he is showing me he can... I will let him eat himself. Which makes me smile everytime I go in to visit him ! Great job :::and believe it or not::::: he is flickering his wings at me now.... I love it/them

Our hall bathroom has become the ICU for animals in our house.... Crash is the resident Pijie... who is very quite... next ..is my female Zebra finch whos mate passed away last night Having a bad day so I have her in there to keep an eye on her for a few days.... and our little rat (((whos cage is in the bathtub now...LOL)))Avery is sick with Myco flare up... UGH so hard to get rid of. Ryland says..."Mom we need An... ICU sign for the door..lol"

SO we keep moving forward here in the Phipps household... Wink . Everyday is a new day for improvement... That's too funny
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: Meet Crash~the feral!   Meet Crash~the feral! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 09, 2009 10:25 am

I'm so sorry about your little Finch, Jenn.
Bathrooms are a great place for handicapped birds and other little animals. My liitle paralyzed O'Possum lived on a cushion in the bathtub.
Back to top Go down
AZJourney
Special Pigeon Angel
AZJourney

PostSubject: Re: Meet Crash~the feral!   Meet Crash~the feral! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 09, 2009 10:30 am

Matilda wrote:
I'm so sorry about your little Finch, Jenn.
Bathrooms are a great place for handicapped birds and other little animals. My liitle paralyzed O'Possum lived on a cushion in the bathtub.

Thanks Charis~ I feel sad for her...she looks so lost without him. I'm thinking about a male society finch as another mate for her... they are so docile and sweet birds. I will have to get another though or she will become depressed. Very sad

Yes the tub is a great place... her cage is a plastic bottom... So I add hot water to the tub for moisture! Works great... and I can close the door so it stays in there without over heating the birds. Meet Crash~the feral! - Page 2 142829
Back to top Go down
EgypSwiftLady
Special Pigeon Angel
EgypSwiftLady

PostSubject: Re: Meet Crash~the feral!   Meet Crash~the feral! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 09, 2009 11:03 am

Jenn I'm so glad to hear that Crash is doing so well Meet Crash~the feral! - Page 2 142829 Goes to show you what wonderful care you are giving him. Way To Go Pigeon angel

I hope you know that Crash is welcome to come live here at the sanctuary if you can wait til the spring to send him and if you don't find another place for him. Meet Crash~the feral! - Page 2 789920
Back to top Go down
http://www.ironwolffarmsanctuary.com
AZJourney
Special Pigeon Angel
AZJourney

PostSubject: Re: Meet Crash~the feral!   Meet Crash~the feral! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 09, 2009 7:14 pm

EgypSwiftLady wrote:
Jenn I'm so glad to hear that Crash is doing so well Meet Crash~the feral! - Page 2 142829 Goes to show you what wonderful care you are giving him. Way To Go Pigeon angel

I hope you know that Crash is welcome to come live here at the sanctuary if you can wait til the spring to send him and if you don't find another place for him. Meet Crash~the feral! - Page 2 789920

Oh My--- Robin... Thank you VERY much for such a KIND offer! That truly means the world to me and to Crash! Waiting would not be a problem, he has a ways to go to heal~ I will do my best Wink to find a home knowing that if I don't.... You would be a fantastic choice!!!!! That's too funny What an amazing heart you have...it's refreshing to know that you are out there Thank You circling and that you care!!!!

Tonights UPDATE: Crash lost his lower beak~ unexpectedly. 🇳🇴 I was trying to get him out of the cat carrier and he was perfectly still I even got my hand on his back... when I reached my other hand in .. my shirt got stuck on the door...GRRR... and I scared him...which led him jump forward....he crashed into the side and well the rest is history... I just DON'T get it I just DON'T get it I just DON'T get it Darn SHIRT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I just DON'T get it I just DON'T get it I just DON'T get it

It's red...bled a tiny bit~ so I used collidial silver and Neo... more arnica...... along with saying:::::: TONS and TONS of :::::"I'm SO sorry's!" Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed
Back to top Go down
NiteOwl
Special Pigeon Angel
NiteOwl

PostSubject: Re: Meet Crash~the feral!   Meet Crash~the feral! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 09, 2009 7:55 pm

I'm sorry about your little finch. That's too bad. You certainly do have a busy bathroom! Sorry about crash's beak too, but at least it is off now, and he can start to heal. How's the poor little thing doing?
Back to top Go down
Shalimar
Special Pigeon Angel
Shalimar

PostSubject: Meet Crash the feral!   Meet Crash~the feral! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 09, 2009 8:08 pm

Oh Jenn, I am so sorry about the finch.... Very sad and now Crash loosing the beak.... Very sad Your bathroom is certainly busy....but you are just a great person and I am sure all will work out fine.... I am staying positive for you and Crash...
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Meet Crash~the feral!   Meet Crash~the feral! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 09, 2009 8:15 pm

Oh my Goodness, Jenn!! What a time you are having. Meet Crash~the feral! - Page 2 Icon_cry
My condolences on the loss of your little zebra finch. Bless his mates little heart. Meet Crash~the feral! - Page 2 73518

Sending special get well wishes to Crash and Avery.
Please do keep us posted on how things are coming along.
Back to top Go down
NiteOwl
Special Pigeon Angel
NiteOwl

PostSubject: Re: Meet Crash~the feral!   Meet Crash~the feral! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 09, 2009 8:27 pm

Jenn, when you get a chance, could you post a pic of Crash now that he has lost the lower beak? Did he lose the whole thing? Oh the poor little thing. You certainly have your work cut out for you. And you're doing a great job. I'm routing for him.
Back to top Go down
AZJourney
Special Pigeon Angel
AZJourney

PostSubject: Re: Meet Crash~the feral!   Meet Crash~the feral! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 09, 2009 8:48 pm

NiteOwl wrote:
Jenn, when you get a chance, could you post a pic of Crash now that he has lost the lower beak? Did he lose the whole thing? Oh the poor little thing. You certainly have your work cut out for you. And you're doing a great job. I'm routing for him.

Thanks All~~ I will get a picture up tomorrow... I tortured the poor guy enough ... He's all cuddled up for the night...

He didn't loose the whole beak.... just lost the tip... like the top beak... so they are equal in length now.

After I put him back in his cage I sat and talked to him for awhile to make sure he was ok... he flickered his lil' wings at me ...so I hope that's his sign that he's forgiven me! Sorry

It's kinda cute ... because now that they are off.... when he moves his tounge... it slithers out like a little lizard... That's too funny very cute!

Will post an update with a picture after his morning check up! Thanks all for the condolences on poor Kayden... Amaya seems to be ok... thank goodness.
Back to top Go down
Jackie\'s Mom
Special Pigeon Angel
Jackie\'s Mom

PostSubject: Re: Meet Crash~the feral!   Meet Crash~the feral! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 09, 2009 8:50 pm

Jenn.........So sorry for loss of your little zebra finch. Sure hope his mate will be OK.

Now that Crash has lost his lower beak is he still able to eat on his own? I am sure he will be able to adjust given time.

The ICU bathroom sounds like a real safe haven for all the injured and ill.........you are doing such a great job. What a true Pigeon angel you are.

Wishing the entire bathroom crew healing thoughts and prayers.

Louise
Back to top Go down
AZJourney
Special Pigeon Angel
AZJourney

PostSubject: Re: Meet Crash~the feral!   Meet Crash~the feral! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 09, 2009 8:58 pm

Jackie\'s Mom wrote:
Jenn.........So sorry for loss of your little zebra finch. Sure hope his mate will be OK.

Now that Crash has lost his lower beak is he still able to eat on his own? I am sure he will be able to adjust given time.

The ICU bathroom sounds like a real safe haven for all the injured and ill.........you are doing such a great job. What a true Pigeon angel you are.

Wishing the entire bathroom crew healing thoughts and prayers.

Louise

That's my worry too Louise ~ His lower beak is sore Not feeling well I'm sure... so pushing it into a dish of seeds wouldn't be a great idea. I have removed them tonight and will hand feed him tomorrow and see how it goes.. I'm sure once the bottom beak isn't so sore~ he'll go back to eating on his own.. But I'll have to watch again and make sure! Thank you too... for all the well wishes.... Smile very kind of you and I appreciate it!
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Meet Crash~the feral!   Meet Crash~the feral! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 09, 2009 10:55 pm

Hi Jenn,

Just caught up with your account of Crash -- what a brave little guy! I hope his beak heals up soon and he will be able to eat his seeds. I know just how you feel having to handle a very sore bird in order to help him: you have to do it if he's going to survive and get better, but you hate to cause him any discomfort.
I'm so sorry about little Kayden. Hope his mate is alright.

Best wishes for you and all your patients in the bathroom. Circle of Love
Back to top Go down
EgypSwiftLady
Special Pigeon Angel
EgypSwiftLady

PostSubject: Re: Meet Crash~the feral!   Meet Crash~the feral! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 10, 2009 8:21 am

I too am so sorry for the passing of your finch Very sad

I am a firm believer that things happen for a reason. Crashes beak coming off at this time rather than later, like maybe when he was moved to a larger cage, is easier on him & you to care for him.

Happy It's hard enough to place a non handicapped pigeon let alone one that has a
disability Very sad We would love to have Crash as a member of the sanctuary family if he needs us. Circle of Love You are very welcome Jenn.

Our door is always open to handicapped pigeons that need a home. I love it/them
Back to top Go down
http://www.ironwolffarmsanctuary.com
AZJourney
Special Pigeon Angel
AZJourney

PostSubject: Re: Meet Crash~the feral!   Meet Crash~the feral! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 10, 2009 10:54 am

Thanks Teresa and Robin! Wink We will take all the wishes of wellness that we can get! Wink

Robin.. It would be a great place for Crash to call his forever home with a family like yours who has some of the biggest hearts I know! Circle of Love

This Mornings update::: Crash seems to be in great spirits and fiesty as ever this morning. When I burritto wrap him he turns into this calm little guy.... lol.. His lower beak swelling went down A TON last night.. I'm amazed that it looks as good as it does! Gotta LOVE Collidial Silver! His upper beak still has some swelling...as you can see in the picture. With time I'm assuming it will go away and he will look like he has a realllllly short beak. Meet Crash~the feral! - Page 2 142829

I have to work on his tail feathers..I noticed that the feather shaft is totally surrounding the feathers... Poor guy can't preen AT all...

I did hand feed him this morning ... it's amazing Teresa.... what we do to try and make it less painfull for them huh! nutter I thought of you this morning as I was trying to figure out a way to pop peas with no beak tips to use as a fulcrum! :eek: We managed to find a way thou'~ Here is Crash and his "new smile"............... That's too funny

Meet Crash~the feral! - Page 2 Dsc03310 Meet Crash~the feral! - Page 2 Dsc03311
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Meet Crash~the feral!   Meet Crash~the feral! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 10, 2009 11:29 am

Bless is heart! You know, he may not have problems eating. From the side view it looks like he does have enough beak left to pick up seeds, given he has a deep dish to eat from, of which you have provided. Meet Crash~the feral! - Page 2 458406
He looks so comfy in those pictures. Meet Crash~the feral! - Page 2 334215

One thing, I'd like to mention, Jenn. Kim has 3 or 4 moderate to severe scissor beaked pigeons and I remember her saying that she had to be real careful putting them in the aviary as some of the other pigeons began bullying Jack (one of the more severe cases) and because of his condition he had no way to defend himself. Meet Crash~the feral! - Page 2 443628
Back to top Go down
plamenh
Special Pigeon Angel
plamenh

PostSubject: Re: Meet Crash~the feral!   Meet Crash~the feral! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 10, 2009 11:53 am

Poor Crush, you and him have been through so much. As long as he can eat and drink all will be well. Slowely the beak will grow again.
Back to top Go down
AZJourney
Special Pigeon Angel
AZJourney

PostSubject: Re: Meet Crash~the feral!   Meet Crash~the feral! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 10, 2009 11:55 am

Fancyfeathers wrote:
Bless is heart! You know, he may not have problems eating. From the side view it looks like he does have enough beak left to pick up seeds, given he has a deep dish to eat from, of which you have provided. Meet Crash~the feral! - Page 2 458406
He looks so comfy in those pictures. Meet Crash~the feral! - Page 2 334215

One thing, I'd like to mention, Jenn. Kim has 3 or 4 moderate to severe scissor beaked pigeons and I remember her saying that she had to be real careful putting them in the aviary as some of the other pigeons began bullying Jack (one of the more severe cases) and because of his condition he had no way to defend himself. Meet Crash~the feral! - Page 2 443628

Yah-- I know.. Hmmm . One of my BIGGEST concerns is that he also can't preene... so it may not be the best option... Poor guy... If he can't prene... it means that he can't regulate his body temp. due to his feathers being stuck in the shaft. SO... Even though he would like it in a avairy... I guess we'll have to wait and see. I know Robin has her hands full... so We'll see what happens. It maybe best for him to have an indoor home with maybe one handicaped mate! ??? idk... I know Crash Is a lovable lilttle guy and when the time is right... he will have an extrodainary place to call home~ I will make sure of it! Wink
Back to top Go down
Jackie\'s Mom
Special Pigeon Angel
Jackie\'s Mom

PostSubject: Re: Meet Crash~the feral!   Meet Crash~the feral! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 10, 2009 12:11 pm

Jenn.............Bless this little guy...........he as been through so much. His lower beak still looks so sore.

Looks like he has enough beak left to make the adjustment to feed on his own. Given time to heal and along with your exceptional love and care..........I am confident he is going to be OK.

You are certainly God sent for this little guy........... Pigeon angel

Louise
Back to top Go down
NiteOwl
Special Pigeon Angel
NiteOwl

PostSubject: Re: Meet Crash~the feral!   Meet Crash~the feral! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 10, 2009 4:06 pm

Jenn, how do you preen him?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Meet Crash~the feral!   Meet Crash~the feral! - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Meet Crash~the feral!
Page 2 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next